Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dsst: civil war OR soviet union?
Hi all, which DSST is easier:

rise and fall of soviet union OR

civil war and reconstruction?

I really have no background in this material...

Thank you for your input!!!!! i need this for an upper level history requirement =)
Civil War exam is easier just because it's American History, vs having to learn another courntry's history from scratch.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
i'm canadian and i'm embarrassed to say i don't know much about u.s. history so i'd be learning it from scratch. so is the civil war exam still easier? =)
happy23211 Wrote:i'm canadian and i'm embarrassed to say i don't know much about u.s. history so i'd be learning it from scratch. so is the civil war exam still easier? =)

hilarious - good comeback. Well then I would say in that case, both should be about the same difficulty level.

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

happy23211 Wrote:i'm canadian and i'm embarrassed to say i don't know much about u.s. history so i'd be learning it from scratch. so is the civil war exam still easier? =)

Well in that case it would depend upon what you've picked up about either subject over the years. If you're old enough to remember and lived through any of the Cold War you might know a bit more about the Soviet Union than the American Civil War. Personally I thought they were both about the same as far as which one is "easier". I can say that InstantCert had good flashcards for both. If you know them you should be able to pass either exam.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
I think the Civil War may be easier to find material for, if you're living in the US anyway. The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Civil war and InstantCert are all you need.
I would say Civil War, just because much of the Soviet test will deal with Russian names for people and places. I find those harder to remember.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Sounds like Civil War is for you - there is a lot of study material available, study notes, specific feedback, Ken Burns video series and Utube/mp3 series by Harvard prof. David Blount that can help. Along with REA and Peterson's study guides.
Definitely, Civil War. Good luck!
Storyteller Wrote:Sounds like Civil War is for you - there is a lot of study material available, study notes, specific feedback, Ken Burns video series and Utube/mp3 series by Harvard prof. David Blount that can help. Along with REA and Peterson's study guides.
Definitely, Civil War. Good luck!

I wish I could have known about these when I took both exams a couple years ago. I only used the IC flashcards, the forum feedback section and Wiki, and passed both with flying colors.

CLEPs Passed
DSSTs Passed

chasm636 Wrote:I think the Civil War may be easier to find material for, if you're living in the US anyway. The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Civil war and InstantCert are all you need.

I concur!!!
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 175 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 456 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  For Union Members prkarlov 6 827 05-02-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 7,056 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Union Plus Free Degrees are Dead TINASAM 9 2,200 09-11-2022, 02:14 PM
Last Post: redheadguy03
  Free Bachelors Degrees for Union Member letterchaser202 32 4,580 11-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wow
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,360 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,397 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  Liberty University Online BS in Physics and BS Civil Engineering armstrongsubero 2 1,746 04-11-2021, 12:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DANTES to DSST natshar 9 1,958 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az