Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
degree plan for Pierpont to UMPI for BABA or BAS
Hi All,

I'd like to thank you all for helping us learn about these awesome non-traditional ways to earn an associate and bachelor degree!

Would you help my 20 year old daughter finish the degree plan so she doesn't overload Nancy Parks with questions?

Budget: We have it covered through her 4 year degree -  thanks to the forward thinking of my daughter's grandparents.
Commitments: Part time job for 10-12 hours per week
Dedicated time to study: 20 - 30 hours per week
Timeline: Hopefully within one year, maybe a little more
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: No
Comments:
  • She plans to pursue a BOG from Pierpont with AOE in IT.
  • She plans to apply to UMPI as soon as her degree is conferred from Pierpont and she the additional credits needed to reach 90.
  • She hasn't decided it she wants a BABA or BAS (if allowed).  She will add more courses to her degree plan when she decides between the 2 degrees.
  • I do not know her exact grade for each course.  She has a couple of Bs and the remaining grades are As.

Question:

According to Pierpont's BOG web page, applicants need 15 RA credits.  Is this true or does Pierpont need to update their website?  My daughter constructed the degree plan assuming she only needs 1 RA credit.
ps://catalog.pierpont.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=9&poid=958&returnto=1193

Does this look like a good plan for Pierpont with subsequent plans for a BABA or BAS from UMPI?

For Component 1 of the 15 Gen Ed requirements for Pierpont, this what she has completed to date. minus Info Lit.  All courses are Sophia unless otherwise noted.

Communications:
Visual Communications, 3 cr - Will this work for UMPI GEC 1C?

Social Sciences:
Intro to Sociology, 3 cr

Math / Sciences:
College Algebra, 3 cr
Environmental Science, 3 cr - In Progress

Information Literacy:
No credits yet but will Intro to IT at Sophia work?

Total GECs: 15

Completed at Sophia:  4 credits
Intro to Statistics, 3 cr
Essentials of Managing Conflicts, 1 cr

She needs to take these courses:

Maybe Business Math or some other self-paced, 3 cr, RA course from our local community college or online source.  

AOE - IT.  She plans to take these at Sophia; except for the ones at TEEX.

IT Career Exploration, 1 cr - Does this count toward an AOE at Pierpont?  Will UMPI accept it as well?
Intro to Networking, 3 cr
Intro to Web Dev, 3cr
Intro to Relational Databases, 3 cr
Intro to Python, cr 3
TEEX IT, 3 cr - Will UMPI accept TEEX courses?

Want to fulfill these credits with as many UMPI GECs as possible, using Sophia:

Human Biology and Lab, 4 credits
Art History II, 3 cr
Intro to Ethics, 3 cr
Spanish 1, 3 cr
US History II, 3cr
Business Communications, 3cr
Approaches to Studying Religion *OR* Ancient Greek Philosophers, 3 cr  - Recommend one over the other?

Additional Credits: 41

How does this look for Pierpont and more importantly, UMPI?

Thank you!
@any4yeardegree, Welcome to the board, you've done the addendum/template and have a few questions.  It's great you're getting started and want to make things clear.  The info you're looking for is already on the WIKI, I would recommend completing the Sophia.org classes and the ASU $25 RA course that is worth 1 credit as it's graded, work on Sophia.org credits, lastly, work on the Coursera/TADA offerings that have ACE credit.  You should go for the UMPI BAS with a minor or two, maybe even three by following my spreadsheet here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid400527

Recap: For your daughter, what is she looking to get after the Pierpont BOG AAS?  Yes, continue getting credits towards the UMPI BAS or BABA, having said that, I would follow the recommendations on the WIKI here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

Depending on where she wants to go next... When she has the requirements for the BOG AAS complete, she can continue with her certs, experience, and also go for the Coursera/TADA offerings here towards an UMPI BAS with a minor of her choice: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera

Note: Whatever you take for the Pierpont BOG AAS will automatically go towards the UMPI BAS (BAS has 60 credits electives).
Basically, Work on the trifecta!  She'll end up with certs, degree, experience.  Here's the UMPI BAS Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Because TADA is ending soon, sign up for that immediately and start working on those. Don't mess around with Sophia or anywhere else right now. The Google IT Support Professional is FREE with TADA and is arguably faster than taking the classes currently listed for the Information Systems AoE.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • allvia
Thank you Rachel!  Sounds like very solid, well-thought advice!

BJ, thank you!  My daughter is planning to get a 4-year degree, but at 20 years old, with not much work experience, she doesn't know what she wants to do professionally and that is impacting her decision about her major.  She likes the competency option of UMPI and have a reputable name on her degree but she does not yet know which degree she wants to pursue.
She's still young, take the Coursera/TADA offerings to get a sample of business/IT, then when the TADA offerings expire, get the general education, electives done and take courses towards a degree at UMPI, she can decide after she's done the TADA offerings and also got some gen ed, electives completed. Example here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid398174
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
BJ, that's great advice!  That's exactly what she is doing.  

Thank you for helping!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for advice on choosing a degree for a career change frankc 14 1,015 1 hour ago
Last Post: Obrajnick
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 4 156 6 hours ago
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BABA Marketing from UMPI Raza Shah 0 59 Yesterday, 03:10 AM
Last Post: Raza Shah
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 247 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 230 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Bachelor Degree Help envirodude 2 198 09-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 533 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 2 243 09-15-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 4 283 09-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: karlvon
  recommendation for fastest bachelor degree? BrendaB 4 295 09-13-2024, 08:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77