Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
attending graduation!
rebel100 Wrote:I see the masters hood, is that an "honors" cord also?

It is indeed Smile Alpha Sigma Nu Jesuit honor society. And to answer LateBloomer's question about what I'm wearing- the gown is just the traditional black gown that everyone wears in high school but with longer sleeves that go past your hands (why? who know??). The hat (mortar board) has a tassel and is traditional too, nothing special. For master's, there is a long hood (undergrads don't have that). Mine had gold felt for Master of Science (brown felt was for MBA, etc.) and then the school colors. I'm wearing my honor society pin on my left side and an honor cord around my neck.

Interestingly, I almost didn't follow up with the honor society stuff because it's not really just given to you, at least not at Canisius, and I was pretty busy with my thesis. I don't know what other schools do, but at Canisius, you are notified if you are eligible. They separate undergrad and grad, so in the graduate student group the top 15% of the graduating class got letters of eligibility, but Alpha Sigma Nu stipulates that any college can only choose 3% of the graduating class of any year, so it's competitive. There were 7 of us who were accepted. We needed a faculty letter (hard when you're a DL student) and a packet demonstrating 3 prongs: scholarship, loyalty, and service. Again, tough when you're a distance student. So, if anything, don't assume that because you're a distance student that you have to miss out on these opportunities!! I was actually in 2 campus clubs (though my participation was limited). There are sometimes ways to get as involved, even when you're not physically there, even a little.

EDIT: And I ALMOST FORGOT to say that Rebel was the one who pushed me through the process. He said "hey maybe someday 10 years from now you'll apply for a job at a Jesuit college and it might just be that little extra something on your resume" and he's right. I'm totally happy I did it!
Bunbu Wrote:Jennifer, is your oldest thinking about distance learning?

My oldest thinks about girls, cars, and his ipod. Learning is somewhere near the bottom of his list. ;p
This is a great picture and it's very inspirational, I hope to do it soon enough.
Congrats girl! You did it Wink Glad you made it to the ceremony. Thanks for sharing your family picture.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Congrats on graduating and good luck with the future. Great pic of your family as well!
Bachelors in Liberal Studies TESC 12/11/15

Various certifications and 1 community college class

TESC English 101
TESC Living in the Information age
TESC Intro to Psychology
TESC Intro to Computers

DSST Personal Finance 1/14
DSST Hear's to your health 3/14
DSST Intro to Business 4/14
DSST Organization Behavior 5/14
DSST Substance Abuse 5/14
DSST Intro to World Religion 6/14
DSST Environment and Humanity 7/14
DSST Human Resource Management 8/14
DSST Money & Banking 8/14
CLEP A&I Lit 8/14
CLEP Intro to Sociology 9/14
DSST Intro to Modern Middle East 12/14
DSST Western Europe since 1945 12/14
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra 2/15
ALEKS College Algebra 2/15
ALEKS Intro to stats 2/15
ALEKS PreCalc 2/15
CLEP History of US I 3/15
CLEP History of US II 4/15
CLEP American Gov 5/15
DSST Principles of Sup 5/15
CLEP Amer Lit 6/15
CLEP Social Science 7/15
CLEP Human growth Dev 8/15
CLEP College Comp 9/15
CLEP Humanities 9/15
TESC Capstone 10/15
Awesome! Beautiful family and beautiful story or perseverance and grit!

God Bless,
tony
cookderosa Wrote:I just got back from my graduation, and I want to encourage you to try and attend if at all possible. It's so nice to meet fellow students and teachers, plus you get to wear a cool hat. Smile This is my support crew: hubby and sons!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1269[/ATTACH]

I'm so happy for you and your family; I know it will be a fantastic life-long memory. I really enjoyed the ceremonies and events for my undergraduate degrees, too. I'm already looking forward to the next one for my graduate degree. I hope that will be helpful motivation for the hard work ahead over the next 4 years.

Congratulations!!!!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
cookderosa Wrote:My oldest thinks about girls, cars, and his ipod. Learning is somewhere near the bottom of his list. ;p

I love that he has his priorities straight!
«I’ve seen the war». She said with a voice so alien that for a second I thought one of us was being devoured by madness. «It is a circus, a big circus of sadness and solitude»

TESC
AA, Communications. 2013
BA, Communications. 2013
Congratulations! Great picture and beautiful (or rather handsome Wink ) family! Thanks for sharing. I agree that the graduation ceremony is worth attending. It feels wonderful to be honored for the accomplishment, and even more so since it is your masters degree.

LaceyLady
[SIZE="1"]BSBA in Accounting at TESC - Done! :hurray:
Started June 2009 with zero credits, now have 133!

CLEP:
English Literature - 67, Chemistry - 60, Microeconomics - 69, Macroeconomics - 77, U.S. History I - 68, U.S. History II - 64, American Government - 64, Humanities - 68, College Algebra - 64, English Composition - 56, Financial Accounting - 80 Smile, Principles of Management - 74, Intro. Business Law - 73, Principles of Marketing - 79, Info. Systems & Computer Applications - 77

DSST:
Introduction to Business - 446, Human/Cultural Geography - 69, Personal Finance - 463, Principles of Supervision - 443, Organizational Behavior - 76, Human Resource Management - 77, Business Ethics and Society - 468, Principles of Finance - 471, Management Information Systems - 447, Money and Banking - 73

TECEP:
Financial Institutions and Markets, Federal Income Taxation, Strategic Management

Straighterline Course:
Business Communication
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 9 849 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Oopsie, student is attending the wrong institution... bjcheung77 2 529 10-15-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  7 years later - College graduation... bjcheung77 0 425 05-20-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Graduation Rate for DegreeForum Members? LevelUP 9 1,360 06-14-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 7 1,337 05-20-2022, 06:53 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  College Stories: Florida Students Share Their (Sometimes) Rocky Roads to Graduation LevelUP 0 544 04-23-2022, 10:48 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Long-term Salaries after Graduation smartdegree 1 791 11-30-2021, 01:41 AM
Last Post: jch
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 0 627 11-29-2021, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Graduation Rates for Popular Online Colleges sanantone 17 2,665 07-17-2021, 05:14 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Graduation audit questions saraholson 12 2,455 05-21-2019, 11:01 PM
Last Post: saraholson