Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Your experience at California Coast University? Interested in $21k doctorate.
(08-30-2024, 03:45 PM)Duneranger Wrote: This is a lot of words without saying much.

There still very little PhD programs online,  period. All of my colleagues are MDs and I work with residents every single day (probably over a thousand at this point with many recent grads). The newer grads all said the online COVID hard sciences (both pre med and medical school) were a joke and no one thought doing A&P lab online was "just as good as good".  SDF is not real life, I spent many years on that forum and would never use it as a gauge for anything in medicine.

I would love to know how the handful of PhDs in multidisciplinary studies or diversity online changed someone's life. OR are you referring to the Liberty PhDs no one takes seriously?

I NEVER said online school was not viable, so you can cut the strawman nonsense. Only that online PhDs (in meaningful subject areas, literally anything besides organization leadership or the former) are not a thing for a reason.  

To the OP, go to CCU, knock your socks off. Not my life or money. This is more for others reading.

As a side note, if you are paying for a PhD, you are getting scammed. Any LEGITIMATE PhD program is funded. Why? Because you are supposed to be doing research, research generates revenue for the discipline and school. Get out of this echo chamber and ask this question on reddit (academia or PhD sub) or literally any other forum. You will get the same answer.

This is a lot of words without saying much.

You know that's not true, lol.

There still very little PhD programs online, period.

Not so. Between the U.S. and other countries, there are 10s of thousands of schools offering online education now. Of the roughly 10-15% of U.S. schools alone that offer PhDs online, that's still a lot of PhDs.

The newer grads all said the online COVID hard sciences (both pre med and medical school) were a joke and no one thought doing A&P lab online was "just as good as good".  SDF is not real life, I spent many years on that forum and would never use it as a gauge for anything in medicine.

Everyone is not a fit for online education.

I would love to know how the handful of PhDs in multidisciplinary studies or diversity online changed someone's life. OR are you referring to the Liberty PhDs no one takes seriously?

Heh, I'm just saying that there have been more than enough success stories over the years that forums like these can even continue to exist. People are not just getting these degrees and then hitting the streets for a life of hunger and homelessness, lol. People are improving their lives, or at the very least learning something new... which is also an improvement to one's life in some way.

I NEVER said online school was not viable, so you can cut the strawman nonsense.

You seem upset, lol. No strawman, I think anyone reading what you've written would get the impression that you're not the biggest fan of online education, not just in reference to the PhD matter.

Only that online PhDs (in meaningful subject areas, literally anything besides organization leadership or the former) are not a thing for a reason. 

I think you would be surprised at how many meaningful subject areas are actually taught online at the PhD level today here and across the globe if you were to dig as much as many of us on this forum have. I bet there are very few degree subjects at this point that aren't being either partially, mostly, or entirely taught online. On the other hand, what is or isn't meaningful can be subjective.

Any LEGITIMATE PhD program is funded. Why? Because you are supposed to be doing research, research generates revenue for the discipline and school.

People in online PhD programs still do research. Accreditors are not going to allow them to be done in the same way a standard professional degree would be earned.

Get out of this echo chamber and ask this question on reddit (academia or PhD sub) or literally any other forum. You will get the same answer.

Reddit is a cesspool for education topics. It's bad, not Student Doctor Network bad, but bad. Reddit is basically: "If you didn't go to a top 10 school, you wasted your life, your time, and your money! Just die!" LOL! Complete nonsense, but that's the kind of the stuff you get over there all day every day. I supposed if one agrees with that thinking then they wouldn't see the problem with it, but from the outside looking in, I find it absolutely nuts. Perhaps you see us in the same way. I don't know what to say to that, but I know we're not changing.
Please don't continue to hijack the thread over and over again. Sad
Current Degree Programs:
MASS  - GSU - May 2025
MLM - Elmwood Inst. - June 2025

Up Next 
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion  - UCA

Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors -PC&TC  8/2021
ASBA (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

Do not ask the PhD, Academia, or Professor sub-reddits about anything regarding online education. Those people are idiots when it comes to anything online. They don't even know how to do a basic Google search to check the misinformation and erroneous assumptions they spew out. Ironically, many of them are having difficulty with landing a tenure-track position, but a person at the sister forum with an online PhD landed two.

Obviously, subjects that require lab work are less likely to have online PhD programs. However, Clemson University has been offering online PhDs in the life sciences for many years. There are also online PhDs in engineering and other STEM subjects.

In regard to the topic of this thread, I would not recommend a nationally accredited university for a doctorate, and I also wouldn't recommend an obscure foreign school that isn't directly approved by the government.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I have no issues with any accredited degree as long as it fits one's needs, but I'll say that if you're pursuing a Doctorate in Educational Psychology and licensure is your goal, you'll need to look into the laws of your state to see if the degree can be accepted there. States which still use the "regionally accredited" language is where you'd have the most trouble with a degree from an "NA" school, but a number of states have exception language in their rules to address that, so look for that as well.
(08-31-2024, 09:23 AM)eLearner Wrote: I have no issues with any accredited degree as long as it fits one's needs, but I'll say that if you're pursuing a Doctorate in Educational Psychology and licensure is your goal, you'll need to look into the laws of your state to see if the degree can be accepted there. States which still use the "regionally accredited" language is where you'd have the most trouble with a degree from an "NA" school, but a number of states have exception language in their rules to address that, so look for that as well.

Additionally, educational psychology programs are not school psychology programs, so they're not intended to be license-eligible. A few states license applied psychologists to perform non-clinical services. However, some states, like my own, will only license I/O psychologists. Virginia will license any applied psychology field under their applied psychologist license.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(08-31-2024, 12:58 PM)sanantone Wrote: Additionally, educational psychology programs are not school psychology programs, so they're not intended to be license-eligible. A few states license applied psychologists to perform non-clinical services. However, some states, like my own, will only license I/O psychologists. Virginia will license any applied psychology field under their applied psychologist license.

I haven't looked this over for all other states, but California does license Educational Psychologists (you still need prior experience as a School Psychologist beforehand). However, there may be some trouble there for grads of California's Educational Psychology program. There was a proposal to remove the language requiring applicant's degrees be from RA schools:

https://www.bbs.ca.gov/pdf/regulation/pe...g_isor.pdf

But that was from 2022, and no change has been made since only RA bodies are still listed:

https://www.bbs.ca.gov/applicants/lep.html
Can we stick to the topic? I think the OP asked for people's experience with CCU. To the moderators, can most of the convo in this thread be moved to a new thread, maybe titled, "Do distance Ph.D.'s have value?". I mean it's a great debate topic, but it looks like this thread got hijacked.
Delete. Off topic.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
The original post was asking about people's experiences at California Coast. OP is looking at a doctorate that they specifically said is for their own enrichment and that they do not need for any professional reason. The majority of posts, including discussion validity of online or NA degrees and whether this degree meets requirements for a certain California licensure, has nothing to do with the OP's original questions.

I assume the OP has fled this thread and turned off all notifications about it. I would have.

Mods--please please *please*-- If there was ever a thread deserving of being split into three separate threads, this one is one of them.
Since the OP did ask for other recommendations, I recommend going to a school that is regionally accredited and around the same price or cheaper. If you decide you want to do something with your degree in the future, especially since your current occupation is low paying, you might end up regretting the time and money used to earn a doctorate with limited utility. University of the Cumberland's PhD in leadership is cheaper than their DBA.

https://www.ucumberlands.edu/academics/g...ip-studies
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB to University of the People (UoPeople) spree610 22 1,300 09-08-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: newdegree
  Walden University CJ Master's dm.hans32 1 199 09-03-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  JWMI MBA Program - My experience so far Vle045 33 4,239 08-31-2024, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Recent NWCU Law experience? txc1500 1 438 08-27-2024, 06:00 AM
Last Post: MFG
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 30 4,413 08-22-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: klone
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 132 21,910 08-03-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: wow
  IEU Universidad: another online Mexican university Avidreader 0 349 08-02-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Wilmington University MSCS Jonathan Whatley 3 513 07-17-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Global Business University Atoshi 3 536 07-01-2024, 12:18 PM
  University of West Georgia - MS Applied Business Analytics smartdegree 6 872 07-01-2024, 11:42 AM