Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you tarnish your reputation for the sake of getting a PhD?
The website loads for me, but it takes a long time to do so. I love this quote from one of their "graduates":

Quote:The graphics were amazing, the topics followed a logical sequence that built upon each other creating better understanding.

When the first thing that students of a "university" praise is the graphics, that's suspicious.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
(10-16-2022, 02:00 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The website loads for me, but it takes a long time to do so. I love this quote from one of their "graduates":

Quote:The graphics were amazing, the topics followed a logical sequence that built upon each other creating better understanding.

When the first thing that students of a "university" praise is the graphics, that's suspicious.

My husband just showed me an alert from out internet provider. They are blocking the website! That's interesting! 

Yeah every school I've ever been interested in the very first thing I check out are the graphics. That's what really matters. Maybe the graphics are all it has going for itself.

(10-16-2022, 01:57 PM)Alpha Wrote:
(10-16-2022, 09:05 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Nature Medicine? Where's a grammar checker? The list of healthcare fields he's supposedly able to combine together seems bogus. In my state he wouldn't be able to be licensed to do all of them. He would have needed a Doctor of Chiropractic to practice. Many of his disciplines requiring degrees and licensing in my state. I can see why. What on Earth is a Doctorate and PhD? A PhD IS a doctorate! He completed a master's and a doctorate in 14 months? No way. Not legit degrees in medicine. This place sounds totally bogus. Another sketchy school from Hawaii. Big shocker. Their website doesn't appear to be functioning at the moment.

This guy sounds bogus as well. From his website he states that he treats Kanye West amongst others. He also hasn't a clue what degrees he holds.

Dr. Navin holds a Ph.D. and a Doctorate in Natural Medicine.

While I agree with all of this I also need to point out that he doesn't need a state practitioner's license to act as a "consultant" to any number of high rollers like Kanye.  This guy is working outside of the mainstream and so mainstream credentials are unnecessary.  I'd guess that he has a charismatic presentation and knows more than a little bit about marketing and sales.  There are always people like this around and in some ways it reminds me of some of the better known televangelists.

In my state he would need a license. They're REALLY strict about practicing ANYTHING without a license. There's a woman who has been arrested and criminally charged for working as a midwife in the Mennonite community. It was REALLY ugly. 

This guy sounds like a crock.
(10-16-2022, 02:00 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The website loads for me, but it takes a long time to do so. I love this quote from one of their "graduates":

i think the quality of graphics is very important      
i've taken online classes where the lessons were just walls of text  - no illustrations, no powerpoints, no videos, nothing to illustrate the concepts             

very boring classes and very difficult for me to get through
(10-16-2022, 02:54 PM)bluebooger Wrote: i think the quality of graphics is very important      
i've taken online classes where the lessons were just walls of text  - no illustrations, no powerpoints, no videos, nothing to illustrate the concepts             

very boring classes and very difficult for me to get through

But would graphics be something you'd tell people about? I have many classes without graphics and I'm fine with that. Many of my classes now are designed around reading specific business books and writing papers on them. No graphics needed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
There are all kinds of spelling and grammatical errors on their website.

Kanye is having a public mental breakdown and doesn't want to take medication for his bipolar disorder. Whatever this guy is doing isn't working.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
> But would graphics be something you'd tell people about?

absolutely

just like I'd tell people about a course -- "they require a $150 book that is totally useless -- you learn more from this youtube playlist"
The PhD and doctorate bit is referring to both a PhD and what they are calling a DNM. The DNM is probably supposed to sound like a NMD that graduates from Naturopathic Medicine programs typically receive (some are ND depending on the state etc.). The NMD or ND are what are required to be a practicing primary care provider in the states that recognize and regulate Naturopathic Drs. There are 28 states that do not have any regulations. And some of the ones that do still allow some amount of practice as a Naturopath or wellness consultant etc. without any specific education or certification so long as they don't state Naturopathic Doctor as their role.
So he's probably in the clear as his business page states wellness consultant.
It's definitely sketchy as it's easily misleading to potential clients that are familiar with licensed Naturopathic Doctors but not the specific regulations that vary from state to state.
(10-17-2022, 02:51 PM)bluebooger Wrote: > But would graphics be something you'd tell people about?

absolutely

just like I'd tell people about a course -- "they require a $150 book that is totally useless -- you learn more from this youtube playlist"

Notice right there you said nothing about graphics on the website or in the course? YouTube isn't in the course. Lots of classes have YouTube links these days.
(10-17-2022, 04:44 PM)Sparklette Wrote: So he's probably in the clear as his business page states wellness consultant.
It's definitely sketchy as it's easily misleading to potential clients that are familiar with licensed Naturopathic Doctors but not the specific regulations that vary from state to state.

I think you're right.  A license isn't required because he's not providing treatment.  He's a consultant.  And is it misleading?  Absolutely! But none of that is illegal and it happens everywhere.  Want your Tarot cards read?  Want to speak to your dead grandmother?  Want your Chakras adjusted?  No problem, I'm sure there's someone nearby who can help you out.
(10-17-2022, 04:44 PM)Sparklette Wrote: The PhD and doctorate bit is referring to both a PhD and what they are calling a DNM. The DNM is probably supposed to sound like a NMD that graduates from Naturopathic Medicine programs typically receive (some are ND depending on the state etc.). The NMD or ND are what are required to be a practicing primary care provider in the states that recognize and regulate Naturopathic Drs. There are 28 states that do not have any regulations. And some of the ones that do still allow some amount of practice as a Naturopath or wellness consultant etc. without any specific education or certification so long as they don't state Naturopathic Doctor as their role.
So he's probably in the clear as his business page states wellness consultant.

I don't see curriculum for a PhD and DNM. I just see one curriculum.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which college would be your choice - balancing reputation/perception - cost - time esh 6 839 08-08-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Top 50 Universities by Reputation sanantone 1 873 08-07-2021, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Online graphic arts bachelor's with a solid industry reputation? passit1 8 2,044 04-13-2016, 11:01 AM
Last Post: AJ_Atlanta