Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Religions DANTES?
Anyone take this test? Just wondering if it was really difficult and if there were any other sources I should pay attention to.
Thanks Smile
nitai Wrote:Anyone take this test? Just wondering if it was really difficult and if there were any other sources I should pay attention to.
Thanks Smile
[SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]
I haven't taken this one yet. But it's in my schedule for next month. It was suggested to me (by those who've taken it) to get The Compact Guide to World Religions by Halverson. That is supposed to be a great book, and pretty much all you need to have. If IC has World Religions though I'll definitely be using that too. Try using practice tests too.
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
i'm studying for this test right now too. IC has world religions so i'm using that for the time being. i'm still trying to find a good book to supplement with the IC. i checked out the Compact Guide to World Religions as abby wrote up there, but a lot of people seem to say that the author is biased towards one religion and the purpose of his book is to evangelize. i'm a little worried that if it's true, then i might not be getting the complete info i need for the exam. =( i'm waiting for Introduction to World Religions by Hopfe at the moment (it's on interlibrary loan so i'm waiting for it to get to my library). once i get it, i'll skim it and tell you guys if it's any good.

and abby, where do you find practice tests for this exam? it's kinda frustrating that DSST don't have peterson tests like CLEPs do.
Blue Wrote:i'm studying for this test right now too. IC has world religions so i'm using that for the time being. i'm still trying to find a good book to supplement with the IC. i checked out the Compact Guide to World Religions as abby wrote up there, but a lot of people seem to say that the author is biased towards one religion and the purpose of his book is to evangelize. i'm a little worried that if it's true, then i might not be getting the complete info i need for the exam. =( i'm waiting for Introduction to World Religions by Hopfe at the moment (it's on interlibrary loan so i'm waiting for it to get to my library). once i get it, i'll skim it and tell you guys if it's any good.

and abby, where do you find practice tests for this exam? it's kinda frustrating that DSST don't have peterson tests like CLEPs do.

[SIZE="4"]first. yes, I think the compact guide book is written by a Christian author. But I think he lays it out clearly/detailed enough. Though I cant say that from experience as I've not read the book yet. And if it bothers you that the author holds a particular belief, then you might be better off looking for a different book.

second. they have DANTES practice exams at getcollegecredit.com for $20 a piece. Somewhat helpful as it gives you practice but not as nice as the petersons are. Now, if you can get the guidancenet.com website to work for you, they do have petersons and dantes tests for free. it's tricky though. you might try US Air Force - Education and Library Resource Center then enter in the code FFL518 and see if that helps you. If not, I'd just pay the money. You can look up the other posts on the guidancenet thing and see if they explain it any better.
[/SIZE]
Don't go too much into this one. I went through all the instant cert questions and did them over 3 days. You can totally tackle this test. It seemed to lean towards the Asian religions pretty heavily on my version. I knew nothing about Taoism, or Confucism, but the questions on IC were all RIGHT ON!
-Know the names of notable Asian religious works
-Know some of the facets of classic Indian Religious Society (EX; Caste System)
-Know enough to be able to contrast the Asian/Indian religions.
-Know about divergences between Juddaism and Christian religions.
-Know about common people who were common to Christianity,Muslim,Juddaism.

Some of the interesting questions I found were comparing "modern" leaders to religious principles, like which of the following people did NOT meet the true pacifist ideals as espoused by Jesus Christ (I'm sure I messed up this question so bear with!) Martin Luther King JR., Ghandi, Asoka?,the Crusaders: and it was phrased so that the answer was clearly all but the latter. I spent most of my time focused on the Asian/Indian religions since I was weak there and that strategy seemed to help me out.

If you have attended ANY church/ synagogue services you should be able to muddle through the Christian and Juddaism sections pretty easily. There were not all that many questions about Muslim religions either, but still know about the life of the Prophet Mohammed. To be honest I have not got my score back on this one but I felt fairly confident with it. I hope my late night ramblings help you out!
Working On:
NOTHING!!!!
Finished: Graduated BSL 15 Feb 08, Waiting on the USPS to deliver the cert.

[SIZE="2"]Passed:
All Clep Generals (Except Math)
ECE Composition,Clep Intro to Soc,DSST Human Cult Geography,World Conflict,HRM,World Pop,Ethics,ECE Research Methods in Psych,Abnormal Psych,
DSST Technical Writing, Intro World Religions,
MIS,Drugs and Alcohol, R+F USSR,Intro to Computers,Civil War,Criminal Justice,B. Math
Environment+Humanity,Info Systems+Comp Apps, CLEP- US History 1+2,Ana. Lit, DSST- Intro to Buisness [/SIZE]
highlanderburial,
Thank you for that reply, really helps me know where to concentrate my efforts.
There is so much info on world religions.
Smile
thanks for the tips highlandburial =] really appreciate it!
If you use the search function, I believe some people had mentioned using a "For Dummies" book for this one...
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
I took WR at a local community college and basically used Halverson's book too breeze through it. I highly recommend it.
I just finished Intro to Religion. I studied using only Instacert, Dantes practice test and the multiple choice questions from Experiencing the World's Religions | Learning Objectives. I passed with a 63.
Know the four noble truths, how Islam spread, how Buddism and Confucism are similar, who is Lao Tzu, Charmalgne, five pillars of Islam, which gospels focuses on the birth of Jesus, books that make up the Five Classics. I thought it was pretty easy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resources to prepare for ECE World Population leefleming 2 324 07-25-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: leefleming
  Cured! World First! bjcheung77 0 345 02-14-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The most widely spoken languages in the world bjcheung77 10 1,039 12-08-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,278 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Slowest student in the world... bjcheung77 1 572 05-22-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 7,062 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Why Divergent Thinkers Beat Geniuses in the Real World LevelUP 1 541 01-20-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Khan World School - College Prep partnership with ASU bjcheung77 0 646 10-15-2022, 07:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The Biggest University In The World Alpha 11 1,496 07-25-2022, 09:33 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  World's Best University Alpha 0 613 11-26-2021, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Alpha