Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wife looking at Master's programs - recommendations?
Okay, I (the wife - taking over my DH account) am looking at options for getting my Master's degree. First, I have a B.Arch so I have about 30 hrs of 5000-6000 level courses (why isn't that a Master's already, I don't know). But, anyway, I went into residential practice years ago, never got my architectural license (which is a major job to do with 7 exams over 2 years, continuing ed, etc - although I have been approved to take the exams - another feat of 3 yrs of internship after college, but I digress....). I haven't worked in a firm doing commercial work for most of my career..... THEN in 2008 I started staying at home with my kiddos. I've been home now for 4 years. It's definitely put me off-track of going back into architecture unless I basically start over and brush up on the latest and greatest software. And have you seen the pay? I don't know if it's worth it. I sometimes question why I chose a path that is the same years if I went to med school (5 yr college, 3 yr internship...) all for a starting pay of 'what was I thinking' and working my way up to 'I'm going to die penniless and overworked'? Haha!

So, I'm considering going back to college and getting my Master's degree (online), but I'm not even sure where to start. I want to keep it affordable (not outrageous), but when I'm done, I want to be able to do something with it OUTSIDE of architecture (which is such a small niche market). I've thought about an MBA or Project Management or even Organizational Leadership. But, what does a person do with those degrees? Can I go from architecture to another industry altogether? How hard is it to change careers? Should I look at something like Accounting or Math (which would be a challenge since it's been so many years since I took math)? I'm just not sure what would be a good fit and would love to hear some ideas. THANKS! :confused:
Hi,

I'm by no means a subject matter expert as I'm still working on my Bachelors, but to keep the thread going here's my take. As you know, the US job market is extremely tough. You're at a disadvantage being out of work and also having specialized experience. If you are looking into marketable careers, the best bet is to get a second bachelors. With Sarbanes-Oxley, the need for auditors has increased. Getting a degree in accounting with an auditing or forensic accounting background will but you in demand, but at entry level of course. With all the baby-boomers going into retirement, anything supporting that generation is going to see huge demand; leisure, travel, health-care (admin, nursing, hospice), etc. That last industry with increased demand I can think of is technology. Everything is on line and only more is going to come of it. Maybe you can go to school for adult education delivery systems. I believe Indiana State had a degree like that.

Getting an MBA will increase your marketability, but you may have to start at the bottom anyhow. You seem incredibly smart, maybe opening a franchise would be a good fit for you (if you have the start up capital). In that case, an MBA with a specialization in entrepreneurship is something you might be interested in.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
My recommendation is to look at careers that interest you and see what degree is desired or required. I would think you would benefit from some area that would also allow you to use your previous education and experience. Project management may be something that could do that. What about utilizing CAD and going into design? The bureau of labor has statistics on most careers with expected growth potential, average salary and educational requirements. You may want to look at those as well. Talk to people you know who do jobs you would like to do, that is the best information! Good luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
I agree with marianne on this one. Talk to people with interesting careers and ask them how they got into it. I am surprised people don't do this more. I see people working in low level technology jobs and sometimes ask what they would like to do and where they would like to go. Many don't have a clue and don't know anyone who is in the position they seek. Thats a problem. Find someone who is where you want to be in 5-10 years and ask them what path you should follow.

The MBA Project Management job is a great fit for someone doing project management already. Project managers have specialized skills. They manage projects, not people. Its really a different thing. The people working on their projects may be working on other projects and usually report to different managers so they have to rely on communication and organizational skills to get things done.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Great advice. Thanks! For whatever reason, I'm in a funk about what I want to do now. I'm just going to have to take some time to think on it and hopefully, I will find a direction.
Take advantage of the degree you already have and find another way to use it. Do you like to teach your subject to others? Get your masters and teach other up and coming architects. Or, get your master's in business and help others get started in architecture businesses. I'm a career changer, too. I hear you on the funk! Good luck!!
Ive been rather impressed with the format of the Western Governors University MBA . Its cheap if you have time to devote to getting it done (self paced). At just $3000 ish per term with each term a full 6 months. Someone not working could add that to their resume in <1 year. With the number of students they are turning out there is a strong alumni network growing that will serve to make it a continually attractive option IMO. I plan to start September /October.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
MBA, with Project Management as a possible focus, is a good choice. WGU, as rebel100 mentioned, is a great option for getting your Masters. I'm currently doing one there (not MBA, but the process is all the same) and it's been a good experience so far. I'm on track to finish in my 6 month term, and that's with a family and a full time job. I worked in my field for a while, so instead of wasting time in courses for subjects I already know I can just jump straight to the projects and complete them at my pace (sometimes a week or less, for a whole courses worth of projects).

WGU has some downsides, it takes a lot of self-disciple and the ability to learn mostly on your own. That shouldn't be new to anyone on this forum, as CLEP/DANTES/etc are all about the same thing. Expect to do a lot of writing with WGU (and Masters level courses in general), as well as work in MS Project (you should get that for free) and some Powerpoint work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “How Predatory Master’s Programs Get Away With It” Jonathan Whatley 7 475 09-09-2024, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Dr. Doom
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,868 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  SARA Source - catalog of distance education programs stats-time 3 430 08-03-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: wow
  Master of Letters in History dewisant 4 521 06-28-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 1,060 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 1,821 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 446 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Acceptance for online master's for WES Canada Petrikor 29 9,423 01-25-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 635 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Master Propio in Spanish Teaching 19 Euro elcastor21 11 1,370 09-27-2023, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Kab