Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.71 Average
Why Charter Oak State College is better than Thomas Edison State College
Smh . . . :nopity:
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
Why do you quote obviously dated information and ignore the current feedback you are receiving? I have taken and passed Computer Applications, Technical Writing, and Network Technology with no study or reading. Do I need technical writing ? No, but it is cheaper for me to have the extra credit and use the TECEPs for residency. I would suggest that you try taking a TECEP before making such sweeping statements, they're not nearly as hard as you think. The quality of the data you are using is very misleading in regards to the difficulty of these tests. In comparison to CLEPs, they are harder, but with the massive amount of notes and feedback I've had from the forum members, I have yet to fail one. I have yet to take a UEXCEL, but they are more intimidating to me, because they are graded. With TECEPs, I have little risk.

I have no doubt your plan worked best for you, and may work best for some others, but I would suggest re-reading the messages you post while keeping tone in mind. I'm sure it's not intentional, but many come off as condescending and defensive. This is certainly understandable given some of the obviously racist remarks and attacks on Indian education which were baseless and downright petty. I am sure this is not the first insult and uninformed opinion you have heard on this topic, and I would suggest not demeaning any useful information you may have by mixing in retorts to this.

I would ask the reason why we have 15 pages in this thread, with the (vocal) majority saying that the plan is not ideal for them. For many of us, the plan you have posted is not the best route. Instead of trying to convince us that we do not know what is best for ourselves, I would suggest incorporating this new data into your model and take into account that the information you have mined prior to 2014/2015 is often outdated and stale.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
I hope this isn't out of place in this thread...hehe Big Grin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvv60iv_wjE
This thread has to be approaching a record. What is the DF record for longest thread? I'm sure that thread would have to do with politics or religion.

EDIT: Actually, not even close! The longest was something like 70+ pages regarding Aleks. The longest non-education related thread was about college plus.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
defscarlett Wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I did pass the Network Technology TECEP cold, I could also probably due the same for Music History II, with nothing more than a SHORT review. I can do that because those are my knowledge strengths. If you put me in front of the TECEP or DSST in Finance I would probably cry like a little baby, because accounting/finance is very foreign to me and frankly I just don't get it.

I’d wager that you’d quickly be unable to finish another 6 TECEPs in upper level coursework as easily. I am assuming the student does not have a strong background in any subject, and is coming from a relatively blank state except with a decent mind, and motivation to exceed. I am sure many people could pass a couple of TECEPs here or there based on background knowledge, but the TECEPs that are needed to complete a degree under the “per credit” option the cheapest way possible will mean a lot more time sifting and slowly reading through a textbook.

defscarlett Wrote:How does taking a UExcel logically entail going through COSC, if anything it "logically entails" you to go to Excelsior…

You’re taking my statements out of context. Of course UExcel exams will give you credit at Excelsior, but Excelsior will not be as lenient/lax about many other courses and how they’re transferred in. It also tends to be far more expensive than the other two due to their fee structure. Assuming that TESC’s “per credit” plan is not used for the reason I mentioned that a student is less likely to complete 8 TECEP exams, then between TESC’s “enrolled option” and COSC’s regular degree in business, the COSC will be cheaper.

If the plan doesn’t suit your needs, then obviously you don’t need to do it. I never said that this is a degree that fits everyone needs. Just for students who are looking for a cheap, relatively pain-free/easy, and convenient way of getting a regionally accredited degree and share a similar thought process and perspective.

cookderosa Wrote:My point is that defining the "path of least resistance" depends on the individual's needs. People here typically want cheap, fast, and/or easy. You can't say 1 path is best for everyone, because if you want cheapest, then your path is ABC. If you want fastest, your path is DEF. If you want easiest, your path is GHI. Within each path, some schools serve better than others.

Telling people why YOU chose COSC is a great thread. Telling everyone what THEY should do is a little obnoxious.

P.S. I passed my TECEP, and my comments from back then are still true for me today.

I didn’t tell anyone what they must do - now you’re committing the fallacy of a straw man argument. I’ve said multiple times that people should do what they feel is best. I would argue, yet again, that doing UExcels are superior to TECEPs for the fact that you can use a review guide like instantcert, do practice exams, and have sufficient student feedback to figure out what to expect. The program has the use of Penn Foster, ALEKs, possibly FEMAs, and other coursework that many students find very easy.

mednat Wrote:Why do you quote obviously dated information and ignore the current feedback you are receiving? I have taken and passed Computer Applications, Technical Writing, and Network Technology with no study or reading. Do I need technical writing ? No, but it is cheaper for me to have the extra credit and use the TECEPs for residency. I would suggest that you try taking a TECEP before making such sweeping statements, they're not nearly as hard as you think. The quality of the data you are using is very misleading in regards to the difficulty of these tests. In comparison to CLEPs, they are harder, but with the massive amount of notes and feedback I've had from the forum members, I have yet to fail one. I have yet to take a UEXCEL, but they are more intimidating to me, because they are graded. With TECEPs, I have little risk.

At least 10 people have stated that TECEPs were harder or more difficult than the other exams. It’s not so much about “hard” many of the subjects could be quite easy, but rather that you have to potentially spend far more time studying for them. That is the common point that several people have made (as indicated in previous posts), as well as 123collegedegree.com and bain4weeks.com. You can’t dismiss their “obviously dated information” because none of their posts are “outdated.” I’d hardly say comments from a few months ago, or a few years ago even means it’s outdated. What’s the same still during that timespan is that the exams haven’t changed much, there are still no practice exams, little student feedback, and little/no quick/convenient instantcert.com review guides.

Quote:I have no doubt your plan worked best for you, and may work best for some others, but I would suggest re-reading the messages you post while keeping tone in mind. I'm sure it's not intentional, but many come off as condescending and defensive. This is certainly understandable given some of the obviously racist remarks and attacks on Indian education which were baseless and downright petty. I am sure this is not the first insult and uninformed opinion you have heard on this topic, and I would suggest not demeaning any useful information you may have by mixing in retorts to this.

I would ask the reason why we have 15 pages in this thread, with the (vocal) majority saying that the plan is not ideal for them. For many of us, the plan you have posted is not the best route. Instead of trying to convince us that we do not know what is best for ourselves, I would suggest incorporating this new data into your model and take into account that the information you have mined prior to 2014/2015 is often outdated and stale.

I would suggest that some people should argue over the technical merits of the program rather than how they feel about be purportedly demeaning them or their degrees. I’ve already been racially attacked, and the quality of the responses has been generally poor. My target audience isn’t really the ones who have some beef or negative opinion about me - it’s for the people who have a clear and neutral stance and are eager to explore methodologies that work for them. I have already mentioned that this is a program that worked for me, and others, and more importantly, I have never said that you have to do it, or that it’s the only way to do it. That would be absurd and arrogant to say. My goal isn't here to get on everyone's good side by telling them how right they are or how smart they are; nor is my point to say that anyone is stupid, or wrong. I am giving my side of the story as neutrally and objectively as possible without politicizing or proselytizing - i.e. if you want to do TECEPs go do TECEPs, I'm just saying that a lot of people including myself find them to be more work than is necessary. If you disagree, then more power to you.

I have already stated multiple times that if the program doesn’t suit your needs, you don’t have to do it. Nowhere did I say that my program is the “best” however I do believe that TECEPs, as well as other students and websites like 123collegedegree.com and bain4weeks.com have found textbook studying to be slow and inefficient.

Finally, I don’t really think what a small subsample of the entire student population thinks means too much. Forums are known for having fanatics and hardliners on their beliefs i.e. Sanantone who believe that their way is the only way. You see retorts from me because I have responded to them as well - everyone is to share in the blame. I have given credit to others for their plans and explained my beliefs to the merits and downsides of their plans as well as my own (i.e. price or institution to go through). No plan is perfect. Some members are getting upset because they’re either politicizing or straying from the main points of the discussion, several of which have already been addressed by me beforehand.
KittensMittens,

Why have you changed your argument to discuss only the upper level options being difficult.. Especially when only 13/37 are upper level, if I counted correctly then that's only 35% of the TECEP options.

Each person will have their strengths and weakness which is why two of us so far on this posting have told you we passed an UL Networking TECEP cold. My spouse on the other hand would never be able to pass that test without A LOT of study, but would absolutely kick my butt on the LL World History TECEP.

We all come into this with preknowledge whether its from prior college level work, high school, life experience, hobbies etc.

And yes, I could pass more than 8 TECEPs without a whole lot of studying needed... no not all of them UL, but that doesn't matter, I don't specifically need UL or LL I just need total 24 credits to get the residency requirement out of the way

But again mute point since I decided a different school was a better option for me
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
[quote=KittenMittens]
As far as your opinion on whose arguing and not, I'd say that you, and the frequent users here some of which are on here each and every day with thousands of posts are not my intended audience. I frankly don't care what some forum "regulars" think, so far, the majority of arguments have lacked any substance besides vitriol (and when there's harsh feedback it usually means you're hitting a sensitive spot) - because they're typically very biased, and entrenched "in their ways" and have a vested interested in "proving they are right" whether it be for their perceived reputation from anonymous strangers, or for some other pathological reason.

QUOTE]

No worries! Most people here don't care what you think too. hilarious

How can you argue if you NEVER took TECEP? Your opinion is just speculations, based ( as you told yourself) on feedback of 10 members. So your arguments are "limping on both legs."

P.S. Who is your intended audience? I don't see anybody persuaded.
lavagirl Wrote:No worries! Most people here don't care what you think too. hilarious

How can you argue if you NEVER took TECEP? Your opinion is just speculations, based ( as you told yourself) on feedback of 10 members. So your arguments are "limping on both legs."

P.S. Who is your intended audience? I don't see anybody persuaded.

[Image: Troll+dog+at+first+i+was+like+why+him+th...155178.gif]
[Image: tumblr_lvq9brKAnA1r4ghkoo1_500.gif]
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
haha, I'm away for a couple days and miss this epic none sense! not the longest by a long shot, but perhaps the longest in so short a time frame. Smile First post was just two days ago....you guys crack me up.

As to the issue at hand: there is no one size fits all. The beauty of this method is the variety of options. I do find resistance to testing, folks don't understand why it's legitimate because they only understand traditional models, this is a healthy skepticism. Some can't wrap their minds around the high stakes of taking a single test to determine their perceived understanding of a subject, I resemble this in a way, thank God for SL otherwise I would never have earned my 3 credits in Algebra. On the other hand the Civil War DSST meant I got to graduate on time with little study. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

This thread has become redundant and ridiculous...it should be closed now that I've had a chance to post in it. Smile

LOL 15 pages in two days...a real riot!!!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
defscarlett Wrote:KittensMittens,

Why have you changed your argument to discuss only the upper level options being difficult.. Especially when only 13/37 are upper level, if I counted correctly then that's only 35% of the TECEP options.

Each person will have their strengths and weakness which is why two of us so far on this posting have told you we passed an UL Networking TECEP cold. My spouse on the other hand would never be able to pass that test without A LOT of study, but would absolutely kick my butt on the LL World History TECEP.

And yes, I could pass more than 8 TECEPs without a whole lot of studying needed... no not all of them UL, but that doesn't matter, I don't specifically need UL or LL I just need total 24 credits to get the residency requirement out of the way

But again mute point since I decided a different school was a better option for me

That's a very good question, and good points you've made, and that's the type of questions/discussions I'd hope to expect rather than the diatribe from some other posters.

I have no problem with that if you or anyone else can that - and I'd commend you for being able to do that/doing that without much studying. I don't think most students would be able to do that though not as easily as the other methods I've described and that's my opinion from my own research and feedback from multiple other students. What I'm saying is not out of the ordinary if you think about it because professional test prep companies expound on this methodology of using short, concise review packets. They practically always say to use their reviews books and to eschew textbooks. But let's ignore that for now.

Let's say a student does what you say (in fact I thought about doing that at one point) - why not do 24 random credits in easy electives through TECEP. I probably could even do it if I researched the exams enough. In my particular situation I already fulfilled many of the gen. requirements so most of those LL courses would have been redundant, and been an unnecessary cost, but let's ignore that as well.

That is certainly a viable option if a student can find 8 exams and pass them with relative ease. I would have done something like that but the lack/absence of any review materials, lack of practice exams, and feedback made it too risky and unreliable. The general idea with TECEPs is that you have to typically read a textbook about something and they test you on random details from random chapters. Can you pass without reading a textbook? Certainly if you have enough of a background in it of course. But I'd wager the odds of the typical student being able to complete several TECEP exams with a strong background in many of them to be able to pass is going to be a much smaller group of people. In my opinion, it's safer in general to take an exam, for most people, knowing what dozens of people have said, as well as being able to do practice exams, and having professionally made review guides for them. At least with prep material, practice exams, and good student feedback/data, you can significantly increase your chances of passing/getting credit (an exam can be pretty simple but the absence of information can make it difficult to pass. Difficulty to pass =/= how hard the subject is).

However, in the case where a student feels comfortable about passing 8 random TECEP exams with sufficient ease, comfort, minimal studying, I would say then that that is a superior option. But from what I've personally seen and from what many other students have stated, the TECEPs generally are the biggest pain/head ache of them all - and I think there's a very plausible explanation for that. Like I've said much earlier, if TECEP prep materials become more established, there are practice exams (I don't think they will produce them any time soon, but anything would work), and enough student feedback, then the TESC "per option" program becomes a very attractive option, but for now those materials are not really established - yes there are 3 TECEP flash card sets through instantcert, but they've been overwhelmingly inaccurate and disliked by students. (I looked into the TECEP Strategic Management exam and found that it was a lot more indepth and based on the textbook, so Penn Foster's Strategic Management course for $237 became a more convenient/attractive option), and there are some Saylor courses, but the typical student this guide is geared to doesn't want to take a course if possible, and if they do it would be a quick easy one like Penn Foster or Straighterline.

If it works for you great, if it doesn't more power to you. Discussion and debate is always healthy. Different strokes for different folks and I never claimed that what I've advocated for will work for everyone. That would be arrogant and presumptuous of me. Overall, my objective has been to at least people thinking about their different testing options, and to at least think about the potential pros/cons of each exam style which was a topic that hasn't really been discussed much here before.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,844 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,278 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Addressing Concerns of Out-of-State Tuition UnbreakablyDetermined 17 4,330 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,058 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU My Edison log-in trouble JanuarySunshine 4 2,778 08-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Last Post: JanuarySunshine
  THOMAS EDISON ANALYZING AND INTERPRETING LIT Giantzebra 4 1,992 08-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Last Post: nashpond
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 5,337 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,376 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Help requested with Thomas Edison degree plan. BSOL kodiak61 8 2,476 06-21-2018, 11:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,948 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah