Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Degree Program Would You Choose???
Big Grin 
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently working on sophia.org courses (I've got about 70 credits completed so far) and I'm getting closer and closer to being ready to enroll at UMPI. I am really struggling with what degree I'd like to pursue and I wanted to get some opinions from all of you.

My initial idea when I started this journey was to just get the degree to tick a box. I've always regretted not getting it when I was just out high school and my life is in a place where I can do this rather comfortably. Kids are older, I have a good career in IT mgmt. that allows me to work from home and pay for it myself, etc.. 

As I mentioned, my initial thought was to just get it and get it the easiest way possible so my thought was to do the BLS with perhaps the Management minor or some other minor. As I've gone through this, I've realized just how much I like writing. I've always enjoyed it when I've had to do it for work or for some other reason, while many people I know (my wife, for example) despises it. I've always been an avid reader and I suppose that has led to being a decent writer. Because of this I find myself thinking more and more about the Enlgish - Professional Communication & Journalism degree from UMPI. I've had to do quite a bit of writing for some of the sophia courses I've completed as well as at my local community college Enlgish 101 class (I just finished and got a 93, BTW Cool ), and I am really enjoying it.

Here's the dilema: While I'm thinking about the Enlgish degree, my wife says I should pursue one of the BABA degrees as those would give me a better chance for career advancement. I see her point, but my thought is that what will most help me advance is the experience I've gained over the last 25 years as an IT professional (both as an engineer/architect and in mgmt.). If I did need a degree for some C-suite role because of some corporate rule, any degree would do. Besides, I would think that a degree in English-Professional Communication and Journalism would set me apart as someone that has formally learned how to communicate; what I believe to be an essential skill at those higher levels of mgmt. (at any level really). 

Basically, she says BABA, I say English. It's ultimately my decision, of course, but I'm open to learning a new perspective.

Thx!
If you work in IT management, then the BABA with the Management & Leadership degree makes more sense than a degree in English. This degree isn't really a degree in English. It's not a degree in communication. The courses are more in the field of journalism. It's a BA in English with a Professional Communication and Journalism Concentration. I don't see how journalism would help anyone in IT management. You'll be doing plenty of writing at UMPI no matter which degree you complete.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • colonelcamp, RachelB
Second the BABA recommendation and add a couple of electives that you are interested.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • colonelcamp
BABA PM & IS, but I'd rather do the BAS I mentioned previously with a modification, you can change the minors around to do an English and PM/MIS triple minor, plus the 3-4 classes that go towards the MAOL. Having said that, you can't start the BAS without having the Pierpont BOG AAS with an emphasis of your choice...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • colonelcamp
(05-12-2024, 11:05 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: BABA PM & IS, but I'd rather do the BAS I mentioned previously with a modification, you can change the minors around to do an English and PM/MIS triple minor, plus the 3-4 classes that go towards the MAOL.  Having said that, you can't start the BAS without having the Pierpont BOG AAS with an emphasis of your choice...

I understand all of your points. The one thing I don't want to do is more than the 30 residency credits at UMPI or any study.com courses. I want to stick with Sophia for all of it and it seems that the English degree and the BLS degrees will allow me to do that. Don't get me wrong, I would do the Enlgish degree because I like it, not because it's easier, per se, but I do want to simplify this as much as possible. When I look at this degree plan, for example, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...o/htmlview#, I see a lot of study.com courses under the BABA mgmt and leadership degree and it's a turn off.

Another thing I think about is the fact that I am 48 years old and 25 years into my career. Will a specific degree really make that much of a difference to get to the next level or is it more about just having the degree?
(05-13-2024, 09:29 AM)colonelcamp Wrote:
(05-12-2024, 11:05 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: BABA PM & IS, but I'd rather do the BAS I mentioned previously with a modification, you can change the minors around to do an English and PM/MIS triple minor, plus the 3-4 classes that go towards the MAOL.  Having said that, you can't start the BAS without having the Pierpont BOG AAS with an emphasis of your choice...

I understand all of your points. The one thing I don't want to do is more than the 30 residency credits at UMPI or any study.com courses. I want to stick with Sophia for all of it and it seems that the English degree and the BLS degrees will allow me to do that. Don't get me wrong, I would do the Enlgish degree because I like it, not because it's easier, per se, but I do want to simplify this as much as possible. When I look at this degree plan, for example, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...o/htmlview#, I see a lot of study.com courses under the BABA mgmt and leadership degree and it's a turn off.

Another thing I think about is the fact that I am 48 years old and 25 years into my career. Will a specific degree really make that much of a difference to get to the next level or is it more about just having the degree?

As I mentioned back in your first thread about pursuing a bachelor (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...I-Question) - you have the luxury due to your professional experience and age to get a degree in any area. If the English degree calls to you, do it. Get it done. If you later need a business based degree then a WGU MBA (IT) or the ($3k) HAU MBA are both very affordable.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • colonelcamp, RachelB
Degree Hacking is just that, you're taking classes towards your goal of choice... BAS with a minor in English and the 4 MAOL classes is what you're looking at! Why? Because it hits all the checkboxes! No Study.com, all Sophia.org, finish at UMPI for 30 residency credits... Voila! There are differences between BAS vs BLS, the BAS is more flexible for the win, you need 18 Upper Level credits vs the 24 in the BLS, the kicker is, it can be in any class you want, doesn't have to be in the minor even unless it has to have two/three classes in that minor as upper level!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • colonelcamp
(05-13-2024, 03:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Degree Hacking is just that, you're taking classes towards your goal of choice... BAS with a minor in English and the 4 MAOL classes is what you're looking at!  Why? Because it hits all the checkboxes! No Study.com, all Sophia.org, finish at UMPI for 30 residency credits... Voila!  There are differences between BAS vs BLS, the BAS is more flexible for the win, you need 18 Upper Level credits vs the 24 in the BLS, the kicker is, it can be in any class you want, doesn't have to be in the minor even unless it has to have two/three classes in that minor as upper level!

I'm sorry guys. Now I'm getting confused. When I look on the UMPI site, I don't see an option for a BAS? What am I missing? @bjcheung77, thhis sound really interesting and seems like exactly what I'm looking for!

Is there a link like this one https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...o/htmlview that can give me that overview?

Thanks!
Ok... I did some digging around and found some info on this. I should have done that before submitting my last post.

Anyway, what I found is that the Pierpont BOG AAS is a an Associate degree of Applied Science that requires 1 brick and mortar credit (of which I have 4). The other 59 credits can all come from Sophia with a portion of those being credits from technical courses. To daye, I have completed Intro to IT, IT Career Exploration, and Intro to Web Dev.

As far as the BAS at UMPI goes, I'd need an AAS to be eligible to do a BAS. Based on bjcheung77's post, I'd have the AAS, plus the Sophia credits and then I'd need to complete the residency requirements at UMPI. Also, the minor can be anything I want, including Enlgish. To be honest, I like the sound of BAS compared to BLS. Even if it's just as easy, it sounds harder. lol.

The last thing I have found, that blows my mind and I'd like some confirmation on, is the cost. Is it really only the $130 processing fee?

If any of this is wrong please let me know. Thx guys! :-)
The UMPI BAS requires a technical AOS (although they likely will allow you to add a non-technical in addition). And the BAS is not automatic or guaranteed with UMPI even with an AAS. Honestly, in your case it doesn't make any sense to go down this BAS path (based on what you've shared since your first post), unless your objective was to obtain a more technical (sounding) degree; something you don't need (you started with more interest in a more management based degree than tech).  Also, you'd have to wait to have the AAS conferred before pursing the BAS. IMO, you're starting to get derailed from your objective of obtaining a bachelor - just because there are many options/paths to getting one (as great as that is). Keep your eye on the prize and work towards your objective - a completed bachelor degree.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • colonelcamp, RachelB

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 5 345 Today, 12:49 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree advice pls starsfan33 9 125 Today, 12:13 AM
Last Post: starsfan33
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 10 283 Yesterday, 10:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 256 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 265 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Bachelor Degree Help envirodude 2 210 09-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 554 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 4 304 09-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: karlvon
  recommendation for fastest bachelor degree? BrendaB 4 311 09-13-2024, 08:14 PM
  Degree plan wanted for UK student (CS) FungiTao 1 150 09-13-2024, 07:42 PM