Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which CLEP exams...PLEASE
Hi everyone,

I'd like to begin testing out of whatever I can prior to beginning at TESC. Below is a list of all classes I have completed at a local community college years ago. Other than these, for a science major (maybe Animal Science), since I'm in the biotechnology research industry, can ANYONE guide me to th emost efficient path regarding which CLEP exams to take? Thank you...IMMENSELY! Sincerely!!!

Class completed so far:

CLASS / Credits

READING AND COMPOSITION 3
ELEMENTARY ALGEBRA 5
NUTRITION 3
COMPUTER NUTRITION PRACTICUM 0.5
GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY 3
GENERAL BIOLOGY LECTURE/LAB 4
INTRO TO POLITICAL SCIENCE 3
PRINCIPLES OF SOCIOLOGY 3
ORAL COMMUNICATION 3
INTRO TO GENERAL CHEMISTRY 4
THE AMERICAN POLITICAL SYSTEM 3
FIRST COURSE IN SPANISH 5
SECOND COURSE IN SPANISH 5
THIRD COURSE IN SPANISH 5
FOURTH COURSE IN SPANISH 5
APPLIED BIOTECHNOLOGY I 4
Here is a list of the CLEP tests that are available. Pick ones that you think you will know most of the information on, and then study and then take the test.
Is this what you are looking for?

Go here for detailed explenations:
CLEP: Exam Descriptions

Composition and Literature

* American Literature
* Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
* English Composition
* English Literature
* Freshman College Composition
* Humanities

Foreign Languages

* French Language (Levels 1 and 2)
* German Language (Levels 1 and 2)
* Spanish Language (Levels 1 and 2)

History and Social Sciences

* American Government
* Human Growth and Development
* Introduction to Educational Psychology
* Introductory Psychology
* Introductory Sociology
* Principles of Macroeconomics
* Principles of Microeconomics
* Social Sciences and History
* U.S. History I: Early Colonizations to 1877
* U.S. History II: 1865 to the Present
* Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648
* Western Civilization II: 1648 to the Present

Science and Mathematics

* Biology
* Calculus
* Chemistry
* College Algebra
* College Mathematics
* Natural Sciences
* Precalculus

Business

* Financial Accounting (New in 2007)
* Introductory Business Law
* Information Systems and Computer Applications
* Principles of Management
* Principles of Marketing
Goal - BA in History at Thomas Edison State College

Taking War and American Society and Liberal Arts Capstone at in August semester.

Information Systems and Computer Applications - 66
English Composition with Essay - 56
Freshman College Composition - 68
Analizing and Interpreting Literature - 67
Civil War and Reconstruction DSST
Vietnam War DSST
Intro to World Religions DSST - 470
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union DSST
Western Europe since 1954 CLEP
Sociology DSST
Social Sciences and History CLEP
Sociology CLEP
et. al.
With your background in Bio and Chem, I would strongly suggest CLEP Natural Sciences (worth 6 credits) and DSST Environmental Science (worth 3 credits). I wouldn't suggest the Bio or Chem CLEPs yet, since they're each worth 6 credits and you've already got 4 credits each, netting you only 2 credits each and (possibly) wiping out your lab credits, but you'd have to talk with your school advisor to find out if your labs would be wiped out; if not, then taking the CLEPs could net you 3 credits each, giving you an end total of 7 credits each in Bio and Chem. If you're good in physics, geology and astronomy (most likely will have to brush up on all a bit for the Nat Sci test), then you could take the DSST Physical Science, DSST Geology and DSST Astronomy tests, too, netting you another 9 credits.

I'm a big fan of maxing credits with overlapping subjects, as you can probably guess from the list that I've taken so far, and I've found the various science tests to have a great deal of 'build on the base' potential.

For social sciences, the 3 Psych CLEPs have great overlap - since you've already got Intro to Psych, Human Growth & Dev and Educational Psych might be good choices. Macro and Microeconomics also have a lot of overlap -but from my point of view, they're tremendously boring, and if you love the 'clean facts' nature of science, you'll hate the 'fuzzy theories' nature of economics. Okay, on this one I'm admittedly biased, having spent the last week studying a subject (macro/micro) that I hate, but will need in the future so have resigned myself to suffering through it. Wink

Humanities courses with great overlap are Analyzing and Interpreting Lit (almost no study required for this one, BTW), Am Lit and English Lit.

To make the whole 'test out, graduate quick' thing work, all you've got to do is choose a test, study, take the test and get hooked on the success! Cheers!
- Lia
[SIZE="1"]
TESC, BA Psychology (Done, Graduation June 2009)
TESC, BSBA/Gen Mgmt. (In Progress)

CLEP: Freshman Col Comp 77| Info Systems & Apps 74| Intro to Psych 79| A. & I. Literature 79| Principles of Marketing 76| Human Growth & Dev. 74| Intro to Ed. Psych 74| Biology 74| Sociology 77| Natural Sciences 69| English Comp w/ Essay 59| Macroeconomics 70| Microeconomics 69
DSST: Mgmt. Info Systems 466| Environment & Humanity 71| Organizational Behavior 73| Astronomy 72| Technical Writing 65| General Anthropology 73| Human/Cultural Geography 70| Physical Geology 58| Fundamentals of Counseling 74| Ethics in America 467
ALEKS: Business Statistics| Intro to Statistics| Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
TECEP: Behavior Mod. Techniques| Psych of Personality| Experimental Psych| Social Psych| Psych of Women | Abnormal Psych
12 Asstd. FEMAs

Current/Up Next:
DSSTs Substance Abuse, Prin. of Supervision & Human Res. Mgmt.
ALEKS PreCalculus
[/SIZE]
So it doesn't matter which CLEP exams you take? I guess I was wondering with my academic history, would any CLEP exams be redundant and not net me any gain in total amount of credits towards graduation.

For example....if I took Biology 101 at College A.....then took it again at college B.....College B wouldn't accept the Biology class from college A as credit towards graduation.

I hope this makes sense. I guess I'm not sure which CLEP exams I can take and get credit for it all and not find out later it won't count towards graduation later because after the review they say it was counted as a credit from another class.

As everyone says in here...sorry for the new person questions and thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for your help!

(I had my transcripts sent to TESC today, will take 7-10 biz days)
Yes, it does matter which CLEPS you take, and each school has different criteria for awarding credit; TESC happens to be one that is very generous in accepting all CLEPs/DSSTs and awarding, for the most part, the amount of credit recommended by ACE. Using Biology and TESC as an example, you've got 4 credits in Bio, 3 lecture and 1 lab; if you take and pass the CLEP Bio, you'd get 6 credits of Bio Lecture (Bio 111 and 112, I believe), giving you an end total of 6 Bio lecture credits, a net gain of 3 credits. The question for TESC would be whether your 1 credit Bio lab would be wiped out; I don't think it would, but I'd suggest not taking the CLEP Bio until after TESC confirms that.

You could, though, take the CLEP Natural Sciences exam (which is 50% Bio, and the other 50% is Chem, Physics, Geology and Astronomy) and get the full 6 credits with no duplication. Same with DSST Environment and Humanity (Environmental Science); a good portion of it is Biology and Earth Science, and taking it would give you 3 credits with no duplication. Astronomy, Geology, and Physical Science are the same - 3 credits each, no duplication, so no worries that they won't net you the full credit.

As another example, you've already got General Psych, American Political System & Principles of Sociology, so you don't want to take the CLEP Intro to Psychology, CLEP American Government or CLEP Intro to Sociology, because they would be considered duplicates and wouldn't net you any additional credits. You could, though, take CLEP Human Growth and Development, which would be transcribed as Developmental Psychology, and/or Educational Psychology; they would be considered advanced level psych courses, not introductory courses, so you'd get the credit.

The tests that TESC considers duplicates are the CLEP Computer and Apps/DSST Computers and Apps, and CLEP Human Growth & Dev/DSST Developmental Psych. There are also some duplications among TECEPs (TESC's tests), ECE's (Excelsior's tests) and CLEP/DSST's, but the duplications are pretty easy to figure out by looking at the course numbers TESC assigns to various tests in their catalog.

So, as long as you stay away from tests that would duplicate what you've already got, you should be fine.

Also, regarding the 7-10 days for TESC.... they seem to average about 6 weeks to actually finish the review, so I'd suggest hitting their website, pulling down their generic requirements for the degree you're interested in, and starting to map out how to best fill those requirements with the various tests available, in advance of them reviewing. You can always alter your plan based on what they come up with, but if you start by planning it out for yourself, you can be testing away while waiting for them, putting you ahead of the curve. How about starting by taking the DSST Environmental Science test or CLEP Analyzing & Interpreting Lit test - both are easy to prepare for, and won't duplicate any of what you've already got, and it's a true rush to walk out of a testing center and realize that you've just gotten a whole semester's (or in some cases, two semester's) worth of credit in just 1-2 hours! :-)

- Lia
[SIZE="1"]

CLEP: Freshman Col Comp 77| Info Systems & Apps 74| Intro to Psych 79| A. & I. Literature 79| Principles of Marketing 76| Human Growth & Dev. 74| Intro to Ed. Psych 74| Biology 74| Sociology 77| Natural Sciences 69| English Comp w/ Essay 59| Macroeconomics 70| Microeconomics 69
DSST: Mgmt. Info Systems 466| Environment & Humanity 71| Organizational Behavior 73| Astronomy 72| Technical Writing 65| General Anthropology 73| Human/Cultural Geography 70| Physical Geology 58| Fundamentals of Counseling 74| Ethics in America 467
ALEKS: Business Statistics| Intro to Statistics| Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
TECEP: Behavior Mod. Techniques| Psych of Personality| Experimental Psych| Social Psych| Psych of Women | Abnormal Psych
12 Asstd. FEMAs

Current/Up Next:
ALEKS PreCalculus
[/SIZE]
lwmcc, sir...thank you very kindly.

Is there a preferred source of study material and practice tests for the CLEP and DSST routes? I realize Instacert and Petersons as a supplement, but where are these practice exams, flash cards, etc found online or in a bookstore. THANKS...can't say thanks enough.

I wish there was a general Biology or Chemistry degree offered by TESC, it seems the closest I can get to my profession would be a BS in Applied Science and Technology, with an emphasis in Animal Science....in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry there are departments called "Pharmacology" where we do experiments that rely on data acquired from animals. I did that for 3 years so it would fit the puzzle if anyone ever asks in an interview why I chose Animal Science, but have been mainly in Biochemistry research for 8 years now....can just say I started off wanting to do that, did it in a lab, decided on a different direction, ultimately.

Again, thank you, I think I'm a little more clear.
Nevermind the retarded new person question.....found this link hilarious

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...=Instacert
Have you considered a Biology or Chemistry major at Excelsior College? I'm new at this but it looks to me like the Biology and Chemistry GREs would fit well with the major requirements except for the lab requirement, which your job history would probably fulfill. Have you considered taking the Biochemistry GRE? Excelsior will award up to 30 credits for these exams.

I am interested in taking the Biochemistry GRE and may need the Biology or Chemistry GRE also. If you do take any of these, please come back and leave feedback for study advice and test tips.

I love your screen name!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
If anyone decides to take the GRE for Biochemistry, Chemistry, or Biology please don't hestiate to drop some feedback for those exams. So far there is only info for the Psychology GRE.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
You're quite welcome; I'm not a 'sir', though - I have two X chromosomes, not XY. :-) TESC does have a Biology degree; it's a major under their BA program, not BS. Look at the degrees on the TESC site under the Arts & Sciences school, here's a link: Thomas Edison State College | BA in Biology Credit Distribution You might want to consider PLA'ing some of the requirements, given your work history.

Also, regarding study materials - check out the Specific exam feedback section of this board - many of the posts include the study resources people used to pass the tests. Cheers!
- Lia
[SIZE="1"]

12 Asstd. FEMAs

Current/Up Next:
ALEKS PreCalculus
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PMP practice quizzes or exams Kjnova 5 502 08-18-2024, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 398 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,897 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 519 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 551 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 7,259 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 694 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,233 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  Anybody taken any certification exams (CPA, CIA, CFE, etc.)? kevinmane 9 2,838 08-21-2022, 11:19 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,076 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore