Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do
Thank you everyone for all your help here so far.  I've been busy working away on my General Electives but I'm at the point I need to make a decision.

So far I have been working on the Degree Plan, BSBA General Management. On the weekend I did a "what if" for the BA Liberal Studies and it looks like going that route is the same number of credits remaining.

Is the only difference really preference? Is one quicker/cheaper than the other? I realize I will need more Upper Courses for the Liberal Arts and the Capstones' are a different beast.

At this point in my life I'm just looking to add a degree as my goal in life. If I was going to change to Liberal Arts is it best to speak with TESU first too see if the "What if" is way off?

Thanks for any comments!

Attached Files
.pdf   DegreePlan BSBA GM.pdf (Size: 583.57 KB / Downloads: 11)
Hey DigerTwo, Are you planning to take 16 credits for residency or are you paying the residency waiver fee? It is YOUR preference, the degrees cost about the same, the speed to finish depends on the number of credits and the provider you are thinking of using to get the credits. Other than the capstone, the upper level requirements determine your Area of Study. Essentially, roughly, 90 credits are identical, 30 are the Area of Study, which is the main difference... At this juncture in time, you may want to add your degree plan for the BALS (no concentration) and see which one you're closer to.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Definitely go with the one that YOU actually want. The quicker degree is always the degree that you enjoy. Even if the other degree had 2 or 3 fewer classes than the one that you like, completing a degree you want will always be easier than finishing a degree you have no interest in.

Since you only have 70-ish credits right now, you might want to consider UMPI instead of TESU. That would be almost certainly be both faster and cheaper than either TESU degree. Since you have Canadian credits, I presume you have at least some knowledge of French? If so, you could probably use the ACTFL exam to get credit for French. Take SDC's Biology 101L for science-with-a-lab and maybe take a couple of Sophia courses to fill out GEC requirements. You could probably get a degree in 4-6 months at UMPI ($2800-4200).

If you go with UMPI, the courses would mostly be passed with papers. If you'd prefer to do exams and as few papers as possible (though there will still be some papers), paying a bit more for TESU may be your best option.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Just a quick note: you have too many LL credits in the AoS. So, once they start filling things in, you'll actually lose 2.5cr there, and since there's nowhere for those credits to go, they'll get booted out. Your best bet in this very specific instance (not the norm to tell someone this, but there's a reason): change to the latest catalog. Yes, really. You don't have much filled in, and with a BSBA, you'll actually get more Free Electives with the new plan! And, that BUS-210 course you took (CSM Learn?) will go in the new core. So you have lost nothing and will gain a few credits at the end.

But that's only if you stick with that BSBA, which is a perfectly decent option. EC and UMPI are also good options for a business degree, and both will be cheaper.

A BALS is ok, but I'm not certain why you'd go with TESU over any other school for that particular degree. If I personally was getting a BALS/BLS degree, I'd go with EC (no RA credits required, no concentration required, no lab science required, cheaper than TESU by a lot, easier to do than COSC) or UMPI (cheapest if you can finish in 3 terms).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jch
Decisions, decisions, eh? I think you've already pretty much made up your mind... If your mind has already been set with TESU and you're just torn between the BALS or BSBA, it all depends on how you want to slice this. My suggestion again is to see which one you're closer to, or stick with your first choice, the BSBA as per your original post above and this first thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...or-Options

Now, to help you further, you can take Sophia.org/Davar for the bulk of your remaining AOS and missing requirements. Sophia.org is $79/month all you can eat, Davar is $99/2 business courses and $15/exam, so it's $129 for 2 courses total. You have just 2 LL in the AOS, the other two that show up are also LL, so it will fail final auditing. Having said that, Davar will save the day when you take 4 UL from that to round out your AOS.

So moving to the new catalog year, I could finish with Sophia for Stats, History, Algebra, English (1&2), Public Speaking, Business Law and Ethics. Will the accounting from Sophia work in the Business core?

Then bring in Davar for the 4 upper level Business courses?

Due to me being from Canada i have already spend a bit of money having my transcripts evaluated by a third party so moving to a different University/College probably isn't an option at this point in the game.
Yes, Sophia's accounting course should count toward the BSBA core (as should CLEP, StraighterLine, TECEP and UExcel).

Sample TESU BSBA General Management Degree Plan: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(12-07-2021, 07:50 AM)Digertwo Wrote: Due to me being from Canada i have already spend a bit of money having my transcripts evaluated by a third party so moving to a different University/College probably isn't an option at this point in the game.

UMPI's application is free. The evaluator should still have your evaluation and can send it to another university for little/no additional cost, AFAIK. Even if it's another $20-30, you'd potentially save thousands by switching to UMPI over TESU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Thank you everyone! Despite all the reading I have done on this forum, I'm still learning new things.

I'm going to re-look at UMPI and check out the evaluator cost for sending to another Institution. I hadn't actually thought of that of that option.
I would apply to Excelsior as well, they're free! You may want to take a look at this: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid352305