Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the Worst online class you've taken?
American Government at UMUC. English was clearly not this particular professor's first or second language. His lecture notes were a bit difficult to get through. Therefore, many of us had to ask questions to get clarification on what he meant in the notes and assignments -- to which he was either generally unresponsive or at times even defensive. :confused: This was not a hard subject, but dealing with this dude was not what I'd expect in dealing with a professor.
CLEP - Principles of MKTG - 69
CLEP - Info Sys & Computer Apps - 61
CLEP - English Comp w/o Essay - 62
CLEP - Principles of Mgmt - 74
DSST - Astronomy - 62
CLEP - Introductory Bus Law 69
DSST - Management Info Systems - 459
CLEP - Natural Sciences - 59

B&M Transfer Credits - 37 Completed

UMUC (that's right...) credits - 4 Completed
Mine was Technical Writing distance ed through the University of Alaska. The professor gave little to no feedback on anything and assigned peer editing. By the end of the semester, none of my peers were editing anything! The final project was a 20 page single spaced writing project which was graded mercilessly after little to no feedback the entire semester. I wish I had known then about the Big Three!
[COLOR="Navy"]BS Liberal Arts
Excelsior College

MS Psychology
California Coast University[/color]
Environmental Geology with Central Texas College. The instructor was horrible. The quizes were long and short-timed and very difficult. I ended up dropping it.
B.S. Liberal Studies Excelsior College
graduated Cum Laude
321 total SH of college credit
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
current goal: Pass 4 of the actuarial science exams and become an actuary
Retired Intelligence Officer (21 years, 6 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan)
Mine has to be U of Idaho Managerial Accounting Independent Study. Had three different instructors so they must have been grad students. No feedback on exams and last one tried to fail me on homework exams. Had been averaging 90% on the first eight of 10 then the new instructor subjectively graded me out at 53% and 70% then gave me 53% on the third exam with no explanation. I actually felt confident enough to think that I had aced it. Final gave me 64%, no explanation again. Homework assignments for each of the ten chapters are about 10 hours each. First three exams were around 4 hours each Final timed at 3 hours. Three weeks to respond to questions and grade homework lessons, when I stated I was on a schedule the third instructor started with the crappy grades. When I asked for some help from the second instructor she told me to study harder. These concepts are hard to grasp with an instructor let alone left to your own devices. I would suggest taking this course with a live instructor if you want to learn the subject matter. I received a "C" for the course which really pisses me off. BTW, I took the course there because it was cheapest. Four proctored exams add $100 study guide another $50. I am going to challenge the grade. Evil little people up there.
[SIZE="5"]Thee Ivan[/SIZE]
mark@ivanrox.com
Play interpretation Drama from a CC online class, It was horrible and in some language I could not understand or make heads and tails of. The book was over $200.00 dollars and completely useless.

Chapters and assignments were off, and I could not figure out what was being said on the message boards. The teacher had a student assistant doing the grading on some weird bell curve and drove me to drinking....enough said..
CCAF-AS Logistics Management
CCAF-AS Bio-Environmental Science
Cerro Coso Community College-AS Administration of Justice
Excelsior College-BS Criminal Justice-2008
TESC-BA Liberal Studies-2009
2 Different Bachelor Degrees completed in under 2 years!
<<Wow!! Thanks for this feedback. American Cinema used to be a TECEP that TESC turned into a course with a LOT of writing, according to the syllabus. My daughters were enrolled in a local college to take the course but the Prof. was a whacko, so they dropped. I was hoping to find another source for the credits, since I bought the books and it fits in nicely with their degree plan. Saw the OL TESC version about this course but based on your review - NOT worth it.>>

Cinema:
There is NO mentor communication. He went MIA in the class and I never got a single assignment graded until week 9 out of a 12 week class. He never has posted ONE thing to the class, no one knows where he went or anything, grades just showed up. Apparently neither did any of the other students. We all (the students) were so worried that something had happened to him that I offered to call the school to see if he was ok. He doesn’t even give you a grade on any of the 6 discussions in the class in your grade book because he said, “you’ll see what I gave you when I calculate your final grade”. It’s the same with the midterm taken 3 weeks ago and no grade, just like my Lit class. I have sent him SIX emails that he never answered. The midterm was on NOTHING we wrote papers on, other than one term.

OK so all of that is the mentor, now on to the class itself. It’s really boring, I have not learned a single thing (other than apparently most people prefer movies filmed in widescreen and they’re much more expensive for the filmmakers to produce, which is why widescreen is more in stores). I thought that we would actually, I don’t know, discuss movies. Nope, we discuss the use of widescreen and why poor people in the Depression liked comedy. The class costs $500+ (I think it’s $525). *sigh* I can’t WAIT to be done.[/QUOTE]
dharmachic Wrote:I've been pretty lucky, I guess, in terms of online classes. I've taken over 20 so far (including my paralegal education), and while some could have been better, they weren't anything to complain about.

I would suggest looking up professor ratings on RateMyProfessors.com which I do before I register for a class, especially when I have a choice of several equivalent classes I can take, to help narrow down my selection. It's very useful to see student ratings (online classes included too) and at the very least, you will know what to expect going in.

Helen

Where did you get your online paralegal education, and did it transfer into your bachelors?
Physics I at EC by far. The professor (who also "teaches" at a few other places) was rarely there, and didn't even give us grades until after the midterm, NO FEEDBACK until half the course was over, and even after that we took the final and were still missing some graded homework assignments.

Many of us complained to the dean, I'd be surprised if he's still teaching there... at least I hope he's not. I still got my normal A, but I'm one of those weird ones that just "get" math with little effort... I felt bad for the students that needed the feedback.
Cultural diversity at TESC, ended up dropping it. I could never get the prof to answer an email or even a message board posting. I was receiving A's on all my papers, I am a good writer so at least she was fair there, but her comments on my papers clearly showed her disapproval. The class spent a lot of time talking about how evil white people are. Also if you feel that everyone should be judged on merit rather than race/ethnicity you are a racist. Race/ethnicity SHOULD be a factor in EVERYTHING, with minorities receiving preferential treatment. If you believe anything else you are a racist.

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010

Effective and Persuasive Writing. Com120. Took it while in Iraq. Sucked!
AAS Environmental Safeties & Securities Sep 01, 2011!!!!!!

Aleks: Beginners Algebra 72%, College Algebra 85%, Intermediate Algebra 88%, Pre-Calculus 75%, Business Stats 73%
FEMA: 51 Completed
ACE Credits: 12
Military AARTS: 12
24 UoP Credits: GEN200, IT105, COM120, COMM215, HIS105, SCI100, MATH208, MATH209,
DSST Here's to Your Health--423 (PASS) Aug 15, 2011
DSST Technical Writing--49 (PASS) Sep 01, 2011

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 0 41 2 hours ago
Last Post: stats-time
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 9 372 Yesterday, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Affordable online community colleges for non-residents nomaduser 22 5,069 07-31-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 972 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 4 1,564 07-23-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 536 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  UNED Spanish online university Avidreader 5 654 07-03-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: inor
  Online Linear Algebra Course (Except SNHU) sjdkn1 17 1,325 06-26-2024, 03:23 AM
  Affordable Online Data Science and Programming Degrees from IIT Madras (India) OtterDen 3 398 06-21-2024, 08:45 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 7 1,350 06-13-2024, 11:36 PM
Last Post: Tedium