Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What category DSST Alcohol & Drug Abuse fall under EC Psych. major?
I called an admission's counselor at EC to find this out, but I was told that they couldn't give me such advice.
Basically, I just want to sign up for some EC examinations for the UL requirements of the Psychology major, but I don't want to duplicate the DSST Drugs & Alcohol that I already passed.
I also have already passed Intro to Psych. (clep), Human Growth & Development (clep) and Principles of Statistics (dsst), as well as Fundamentals of Counseling(dsst) and Organizational Behavior (dsst).
I know that I need Reasearch Methods to fullfill the core requirements, so that is one I don't have a problem with.
Now, if I take Abnormal Psych., Social Psych. and Adulthood & Aging, would I be duplicating Drugs & Alcohol abuse or any other credits mentioned above? If anyone knows, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
I don't know if this applies to you ---but as a Liberal Arts student (with no major), I was advised that DSST Drug & Alcohol would fall under the electives category for me. Interestingly enough, I was also advised that I earned enough psy credits to be considered a psychology minor. So my transcript will say:

Degree: BS Liberal Studies
Area of Focus: Psychology

Hope this helps,
Anne,
Next up: SPHR Exam again, missed it by 50 pts first attempt....:eek:
BS Liberal Arts - Excelsior College, MBA/HRM - Northcentral University

[SIZE="1"]Check a New Dreams & Goals Discussion Forum at http://www.getwettodayforum.com[/SIZE]
Mateo1 Wrote:I called an admission's counselor at EC to find this out, but I was told that they couldn't give me such advice.
Basically, I just want to sign up for some EC examinations for the UL requirements of the Psychology major, but I don't want to duplicate the DSST Drugs & Alcohol that I already passed.
I also have already passed Intro to Psych. (clep), Human Growth & Development (clep) and Principles of Statistics (dsst), as well as Fundamentals of Counseling(dsst) and Organizational Behavior (dsst).
I know that I need Reasearch Methods to fullfill the core requirements, so that is one I don't have a problem with.
Now, if I take Abnormal Psych., Social Psych. and Adulthood & Aging, would I be duplicating Drugs & Alcohol abuse or any other credits mentioned above? If anyone knows, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Mateo,

None of the exams you mentioned would duplicate D&A Abuse. However, be advised that DSST Fundamentals of Counseling and DSST Drug & Alcohol Abuse will NOT count towards your Psychology major. They are both counted as Applied Professional credits. You shouldn't count them towards your 30 credit Psych major.

On the plus side, you CAN count CLEP Intro to Psych, DSST Organizational Behavior, CLEP HG&D, and DSST Principles of Statistics as lower level credits towards your major.

In addition, you will need to take ECE Research Methods, ECE Social Psychology, ECE Abnormal Psychology, CLEP Intro to Educational Psychology, History & Systems of Psychology, and Biological Psychology.

The last two on that list are not available as exams. Therefore, you must take a full course to fulfill those two requirements.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
In addition, you will need to take ECE Research Methods, ECE Social Psychology, ECE Abnormal Psychology, CLEP Intro to Educational Psychology, History & Systems of Psychology, and Biological Psychology.

The last two on that list are not available as exams. Therefore, you must take a full course to fulfill those two requirements.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for the info.
Are the last two, History & Systems and Biological Psych prerequisites? I thought that by taking the exams for Social Psych and Adulthood & Aging, besides the ones mentioned, I could complete the major prerequisites.
Anyways, thank you again.
Mateo1 Wrote:Thank you very much for the info.
Are the last two, History & Systems and Biological Psych prerequisites? I thought that by taking the exams for Social Psych and Adulthood & Aging, besides the ones mentioned, I could complete the major prerequisites.
Anyways, thank you again.

Not unless you enrolled in Excelsior's Psychology major prior to Jan 1st, 2007. They changed the policy to REQUIRE the History & Systems, and BioPsych. There is LESS freedom to choose your subjects now.

At this time, there is no place for ECE Fundamentals of Gerentology or ECE Psychology of Adulthood & Aging, other than as possible general electives.

Here is a list of the REQUIRED credits fro a Psych degree at Excelsior (and how they could be fulfilled):

Lower Level Requisites
------------------------

3 - CLEP Into to Psychology
3 - CLEP Intro to Educational Psychology
3 - DSST Principles of Statistics
3 - DSST Organizational Behavior (or ECE Upper Level version)
3 - CLEP Human Growth & Dev (or DSST Lifespan Dev Psych)

Upper Level Requisites
-----------------------

3 - ECE Research Methods in Psychology
3 - ECE Abnormal Psychology
3 - ECE Social Psychology
3 - History & Systems (find a course)
3 - BioPsychology (find a course)

Additional Requisites
-------------------

3 - DSST Ethics in America (or ECE Upper Level Ethics Theory & Practise)
1 - ECE Information Literacy
3 - Written English Requirement
1 - Research Writing (a new requirement that I am not sure about yet)

Obviously with 15 lower level and 15 upper level credits fixed in place by the policy, there isn't much room for flexibility anymore. Taking Gerentology and Psych of A&A would add perhaps unnecessary credits, but it would allow you to take a couple of the upper level reqs as lower level classes if you preferred (since you MUST have at least 15 upper level Psych credits for the major).

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Thank you so much. I had not seen the new requirements yet. I was looking at the general catalog, I guess from before 2007.
Let me tell you that I applied last week for EC because I wanted a GPA, but after seeing this new requirements, TESC is starting to look very appealing, even without a GPA. I checked in the 'find a course' link of EC, but I couldn't find any courses for the new core requirement.
This sort of gets me off track of my original plan. :mad:
Thank you for your time.
Mateo
:confused: Hi everyone! This is a neat forum. I just took my first ever DANTES test...the Drug and Alcohol Abuse test. It is qualifying as an elective credit. Test was not as bad as I had anticipated! Just disappointed that my test center is still doing paper and pencil tests for Dantes and I won't have a test score for 2-4 weeksSad

Wondering if anyone can explain scoring to me!! If I only need a 49 to get credit at my University how does that work?? Is 49 like a percent??? HOW do they get this score?!! VERY confusing!! AND if you only need a 49 WHY don't more people take these tests??

Thanks for any input!!

Superkat

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,720 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 175 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 457 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 453 04-26-2024, 05:36 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 2,596 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 540 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  California - Fall Is Free! bjcheung77 3 782 08-18-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Amberton website (major) redesign allvia 8 927 08-02-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  Labor Market Outcomes of College Graduates by Major by New Yotk Fed 2023 learnforlife 0 923 03-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: learnforlife
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 7,062 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007