Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU vs UMPI for law school
UMPI vs TAMUC is up to you... Both provide letter grades, I would skip the NA options in favor for RA in case you're looking to transfer or ladder into a more competitive Masters later.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-24-2024, 12:50 PM)TONY SOPRANOxPEPPER ANNE Wrote:
(06-23-2024, 06:30 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: And TAMUC!
TAMUC has changed their tuition for out of state to $2,000 per 7 weeks, which would chew up my pell grant in about 6 months.
I could dedicate ~10 hours a day to school so I might get away without spending much of my own money. 

Really all I want is a regionally accredited bachelors that accepts ACE credit and gives out actual grades.

TAMUC takes ACE, here is the wiki page link for their BAAS Organizational Leadership https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I just learned that as long as the undergrad institution gives a letter grade to the course (and not a pass/fail) it does count towards GPA.

Does TAMUC or other schools give letter grades to ACE transfer courses as far as you're aware?
You don't want ACE letter grades for your law school application.
(06-24-2024, 06:18 PM)TONY SOPRANOxPEPPER ANNE Wrote: I just learned that as long as the undergrad institution gives a letter grade to the course (and not a pass/fail) it does count towards GPA.

Does TAMUC or other schools give letter grades to ACE transfer courses as far as you're aware?
UMPI does not give letter grades to ACE transfer courses. As of this summer, they show up as T for transfer on transcripts. Before this summer, they showed up as P for pass. I’ve seen this is the case with most ACE accepting schools.
(06-24-2024, 06:49 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: You don't want ACE letter grades for your law school application.

You're probably right, i'll just transfer the first half into TAMUC then buckle down and finish the rest with them for the best of both worlds.

Do you have experience with this? Did you enter law school with a non-traditional undergrad or have knowledge on the underlying admissions process?
(06-24-2024, 08:07 PM)TONY SOPRANOxPEPPER ANNE Wrote:
(06-24-2024, 06:49 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: You don't want ACE letter grades for your law school application.

You're probably right, i'll just transfer the first half into TAMUC then buckle down and finish the rest with them for the best of both worlds.

Do you have experience with this? Did you enter law school with a non-traditional undergrad or have knowledge on the underlying admissions process?

Yes, entered a T-14 law school with a non-traditional undergrad. The truth is, some law schools take a holistic approach to applicants, while others don't. Having a 4.0 GPA, high LSAT, etc won't make a difference with some of the law schools because they look at were you went for your undergrad (ivy school or not). That's why I said earlier focus on the full package, including practicing interviewing skills for potential interviews with the admissions office. Develop a list of target law schools, make contact with each law school, get to know them, visit in-person if possible, speak with directors of various law programs at the school, professors, former students, etc. Learn about each school's values, core mission, history and learning how students after getting a degree can make a positive change to society. Trust me, Its a lot of work and its even more difficult when its from a non-traditional undergrad. You will probably spend a year or more with the prep work. Also, you want to apply early, like October or early November, no later. 

You have to show each law school you are extremely serious about attending that law school and not just using a template with canned answers, same personal statement, etc. Do you have a resume, probably not, but you need to learn the formatting type for each law school and create one, some law schools request it, while others don't.
(06-24-2024, 09:59 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:
(06-24-2024, 08:07 PM)TONY SOPRANOxPEPPER ANNE Wrote:

Yes, entered a T-14 law school with a non-traditional undergrad. The truth is, some law schools take a holistic approach to applicants, while others don't. Having a 4.0 GPA, high LSAT, etc won't make a difference with some of the law schools because they look at were you went for your undergrad (ivy school or not). That's why I said earlier focus on the full package, including practicing interviewing skills for potential interviews with the admissions office. Develop a list of target law schools, make contact with each law school, get to know them, visit in-person if possible, speak with directors of various law programs at the school, professors, former students, etc. Learn about each school's values, core mission, history and learning how students after getting a degree can make a positive change to society. Trust me, Its a lot of work and its even more difficult when its from a non-traditional undergrad. You will probably spend a year or more with the prep work. Also, you want to apply early, like October or early November, no later. 

You have to show each law school you are extremely serious about attending that law school and not just using a template with canned answers, same personal statement, etc. Do you have a resume, probably not, but you need to learn the formatting type for each law school and create one, some law schools request it, while others don't.

That whole "I'm a victim, and I'm going to save the world" story isn't going to work with some colleges. If we're being real, we should admit that you aren't getting into Harvard or Yale.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
To be honest I'm not planning on going to a T14.

My target schools (assuming everything goes well) would be the above-average publics in the Midwest (OSU, IU, UIUC) for their closer-to-being-affordable tuition, good financial aid, and employment outcomes.

That's not to say I won't try to perfect myself as an applicant, but it doesn't require the same obsession to detail that Stanford would necessitate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 458 Yesterday, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 12 1,415 09-14-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: RejuvenationOclock
  Guidance for a school and program ryuzenboy 1 164 09-12-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BA Project Management Billyjoe2308 5 285 09-02-2024, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Billyjoe2308
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 13 1,209 08-31-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Dr Tree Man
  UMPI BABA PM&IS Degree Plan,Urgent Help Needed! edward.ri 1 274 08-28-2024, 11:27 AM
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 18 1,313 08-26-2024, 09:00 AM
Thumbs Up UMPI PM & IS Degree. Complete Newbie TooNee 10 883 08-25-2024, 12:17 AM
  Starting school from scratch. 17 years in the construction industry with no degree elitewebmedia 12 621 08-21-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  I finally picked a school for my BA staceydiane 11 1,002 08-12-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: staceydiane