Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI - Transferring in old general elective credits question
Hello,

Right now I have my sights set on getting a Bachelor of Liberal Studies – Management Minor degree from UMPI. I plan to get credits from Sophia and transfer them in. However, I have a question regarding general electives.

Around 15-20 years ago, I took a BUNCH of classes at my local community college. After switching degrees several times, I settled on one and I got an associates degree in a graphic design related field. With this, can I safely assume that these classes would transfer into UMPI and at least fill out all of my general elective requirements since I've completed a decent number of credits? Do credits earned a LONG time ago like this normally get accepted without any issue or should I be taking more Sophia courses to be safe?

One reason why I'm unsure about this is because I don't know how to find out for sure. Everything recommends not applying until you have everything all ready since it takes an exception process to get additional credits transferred in once you've been accepted.

Any help is appreciated and thank you for your time.
You'll want to complete a minimum of 90 credits. Depending on which degree you are looking at will determine which courses you still need. Every degree requires the GEC to be completed. UMPI will take your classes from 15-20 years ago. I transferred in courses from 1993.
(7 hours ago)JohnD Wrote: Hello,

Right now I have my sights set on getting a Bachelor of Liberal Studies – Management Minor degree from UMPI. I plan to get credits from Sophia and transfer them in. However, I have a question regarding general electives.

Around 15-20 years ago, I took a BUNCH of classes at my local community college. After switching degrees several times, I settled on one and I got an associates degree in a graphic design related field. With this, can I safely assume that these classes would transfer into UMPI and at least fill out all of my general elective requirements since I've completed a decent number of credits? Do credits earned a LONG time ago like this normally get accepted without any issue or should I be taking more Sophia courses to be safe?

One reason why I'm unsure about this is because I don't know how to find out for sure. Everything recommends not applying until you have everything all ready since it takes an exception process to get additional credits transferred in once you've been accepted.

Any help is appreciated and thank you for your time.
I believe that this statement: 

"it takes an exception process to get additional credits transferred in once you've been accepted" 

is not accurate. It is true at WGU, but to my knowledge, not at UMPI. Others may clarify.
Transfer the max you can with Sophia.org and other ACE options if needed, up to 90+ credits for your UMPI BLS, your previous credits should hit the general education or electives... Complete all you can complete with the Sophia.org subscription you currently have, did you complete the language requirements as you mentioned in your previous thread here? https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...e-Question
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(5 hours ago)bjcheung77 Wrote: Transfer the max you can with Sophia.org and other ACE options if needed, up to 90+ credits for your UMPI BLS, your previous credits should hit the general education or electives...  Complete all you can complete with the Sophia.org subscription you currently have, did you complete the language requirements as you mentioned in your previous thread here? https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...e-Question

Thank you. Yes, I was able to complete it. I took a break for a period of time in working on getting my degree but I'm back at it right now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Minors Wiki Guide LevelUP 14 2,606 Yesterday, 05:51 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Question Transfer credit question Educated Wombat 11 758 10-23-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI new masters programs crowbird 16 651 10-23-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 39 11,212 10-22-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: slaterjack
  what does umpi transcripts look like ? crowbird 1 139 10-21-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 129 97,603 10-21-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  UMPI----AA----ETC???? midnite123 3 223 10-21-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI YourPace BA History & Political Science - transfer questions. Patchouli_Skoal 8 504 10-19-2024, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Patchouli_Skoal
  Question regarding minors and a class equivalency Hackingat40 8 290 10-19-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  7 Bus & Psy Courses Left - UMPI vs study.com??? radicallena 8 628 10-18-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: radicallena