Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UL DSST recommendations?
As of now, I need only 6 UL credits. I chose Organizational Behavior and A History of Vietnam War. But, I'm a little freaked out about taking the Vietnam War DSST. I have no background in History; I'm an IT person. I don't know how "easy" this would be given my background and previous exams (see my signature).

Can anyone recommend a UL DSST?
[SIZE=1]Goals:
MS in Information Security & Assurance at WGU (In progress...)
DONE - AAS in Applied Computer Studies at TESC (Graduated)
DONE - BA Liberal Studies at TESC (Graduated)

CLEP/DSST/TESC:
* Social Science & History CLEP
* A History of the Vietnam War DSST
* Organizational Behavior DSST
* SOS-110: Living in the Information Age
* SOS-150: Self-assessment & Career Exploration
* Fundamentals of Counseling DSST
* Substance Abuse DSST
* Intro to World Religions DSST
* Intro to Computing DSST
* Intro to Sociology CLEP
* MIS DSST
* Spanish CLEP
* Analyzing & Interpreting Literature CLEP
* College Composition CLEP
[/SIZE]
With the Liberal Studies major you're pretty stuck on what you can take since most of the UL courses are business related. Since you've already done most of the applicable exams, you'd be able to do any of the following:

-Money & Banking (ECO-322 should count as a Social Science on a non-business major according to the college catalog)
->Note this is supposed to be a difficult exam from what I've read, recommended as an exam to take after the Macro and Micro CLEP exams
-Modern Middle East
-Vietnam War
-Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union
-Organizational Behavior (obviously you mentioned that one)

or you might try other sources like a TECEP exam or something else. I've never done a TECEP but I'm looking into it. It is a paper test which you have them give to an approved proctor for you to test and they are $99 so not a bad deal.

I was told by my adviser I should take Marketing Communications (a TECEP exam) which is MAR-321 but fits in as a Humanities course:
TECEP Exams at TESC Thomas Edison State College: Course Offerings
Gen Ed Electives List (of courses offered at TESC, not including exams of course) Thomas Edison State College: General Education Electives

I guess pick the history exam that sounds best to you to learn or take Money & Banking, Organizational Behavior, or the Marketing Communication TECEP.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
Don't be scared of Vietnam or Soviet Union. If you have the IC/Forum feedback down cold, and Wikipedia names and countries, you'll be fine. Vietnam is definitely easier, just because there are far fewer names involved.
jtalama,

I've taken both Vietnam and Soviet Union (just took USSR this morning/passed) I would say take Vietnam, its easier than USSR and the study guide on the specific feedback is on point, also checkout the spark notes free online and it also has a practice test. I studied for a week on both test, about 7-8 hours of solid study...... passed both with a nice buffer, but I must say USSR is harder because of terms and names to remember.

Looking at the test's you have taken I must say that both Substance Abuse and Intro to World Religions are a little harder than the Vietnam test. If you like History you will do good. Study this week and take it next week. good luck
Thanks all!
[SIZE=1]Goals:

CLEP/DSST/TESC:
* Substance Abuse DSST
* MIS DSST
* Spanish CLEP
[/SIZE]
jtamala,

Overall how was Fundamentals of Counseling? Was the study guide on the specific feedback on point? What other resources did you use for this test?

Also, did you get Fundamentals of Counseling transcribed as UL?

Thanks.
bldclot2 Wrote:jtamala,

Overall how was Fundamentals of Counseling? Was the study guide on the specific feedback on point? What other resources did you use for this test?

Also, did you get Fundamentals of Counseling transcribed as UL?

Thanks.

I believe I got a 55 out of 45. I didn't feel IC was as straightforward as it usually is. I relied on two study guides (snazzlefrags and ??). I studied for maybe 6 hours. Having seen my CLEP/DSST exams transcribed into my TESC degree plan as a plain old "CR," I've learned to stop caring about getting high scores and spend less time studying.

Yes, the DSST was transcribed as UL credit.
[SIZE=1]Goals:

CLEP/DSST/TESC:
* Substance Abuse DSST
* MIS DSST
* Spanish CLEP
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 175 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 456 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 633 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 7,051 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Recommendations for accredited, self-paced program sparkling 7 1,449 08-04-2022, 11:26 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,360 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,397 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  DANTES to DSST natshar 9 1,958 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  substance abuse prevention/case management course recommendations? Whitepines 7 1,566 01-04-2021, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  DSST Principles of Public Speaking MrsIrie 12 3,238 09-04-2020, 10:55 PM
Last Post: momofminis