Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12-18 months PhD in Health Sciences - Faulkner University
(07-06-2024, 03:50 AM)michaeladsmith2 Wrote:
(07-05-2024, 05:40 PM)Stonybeach Wrote:
(07-05-2024, 04:56 PM)michaeladsmith2 Wrote: Everyone,

I really appreciate your input and feedback. Very good conversation and well written response. Yes, the VUL DHA is geared towards exactly what the degree says, “Healthcare Administration.” And VUL is not alone. There are several DHA programs from other schools that specifically target MBAs or other business related professionals who want to transition or work directly in Hospital or healthcare C-Suite leadership. And of course if you google “Jobs for DHA holders,” you’ll get 100+ jobs where a person can work across a host of industries and healthcare systems e.g., WHO, CDC, United Nations, NGOs, Local , State or Federal governments, County Health Departments, etc.

My reason for reaching out to Faulkner was two-fold. 1. The program (based on my DHA transferable credits) would be less than 1 year, or very close to maybe 12-15 months, since Dr. Thompson has already made it possible to transfer 3 courses. And 2, a PhD gives you more leverage in academic teaching and research opportunities.

The DHA (across many schools) is still a relatively new degree that has yet to be fully tested. While it is recognized, the marketplace is still testing the quality of a DHA in several areas of competency and applications in the real world.

Finally, my last reason is that I have limited experience in healthcare management (only serving as a healthcare chaplain), though I have over 30 years of leadership experience across other sectors. I’m finding it difficult to secure teaching positions with a DHA. I’ve received a ton of job offers for management and a couple VP offers for hospital administration. But my personal goals are that I really don’t want to work for someone else and work a 9-5. I desire flexibility and freedom at this stage in my life.

Being a Chaplain involves counseling and psychology, which I see as a "related" field, especially since Faulkner University is a religious school that holistically looks at spiritual and mental health. Did they say how old the credits can be in transfer? It will be interesting to see what your dissertation research topic will be. Any ideas? Do you have a theoretical framework? As a veteran, I would love to read a qualitative study on the holistic impact of chaplain counseling on the veteran population.

Thank you for your kind words and support. 

If I decide to pursue this PhD at Faulkner, as an ACT Therapist, Mental Health First Aid National Trainer and Mental Health Professional/Advocate, I would certainly due my research on Veterans. My tentative research question would be this: What are the long-term outcomes of Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training on veterans' mental health outcomes, such as symptom severity, quality of life, and resilience? 

The PhD in Health Sciences offers extensive opportunities for research and applications across various aspects of healthcare. This includes fields like mental health, counseling, therapy, and psychology, making them ideal areas for submitting high-quality research.

Thank you for your service to our Veterans.
The PhD is not going to make up for the lack of healthcare experience. I've done a search before for tenure-track faculty who have a DHA. There are many of them out there, but they all have DHAs from regionally accredited schools. They also have peer-reviewed publications, so having a professional doctorate hasn't stopped them from conducting research. I'm still waiting on one example of a VUL graduate who landed a tenure-track position with their DHA. I haven't even seen one who has landed a full-time, NTT position that requires a doctorate.

The value that you will get from the Faulkner PhD is that it's regionally accredited. VUL's leadership is unethical, which is why they have missing funds, and they lied to their students about the usefulness of the degree in academia.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-06-2024, 05:41 PM)sanantone Wrote: The PhD is not going to make up for the lack of healthcare experience. I've done a search before for tenure-track faculty who have a DHA. There are many of them out there, but they all have DHAs from regionally accredited schools. They also have peer-reviewed publications, so having a professional doctorate hasn't stopped them from conducting research. I'm still waiting on one example of a VUL graduate who landed a tenure-track position with their DHA. I haven't even seen one who has landed a full-time, NTT position that requires a doctorate.

The value that you will get from the Faulkner PhD is that it's regionally accredited. VUL's leadership is unethical, which is why they have missing funds, and they lied to their students about the usefulness of the degree in academia.

Your comments regarding VUL are offensive and unacceptable. No one at VUL has "lied," and it's clear you lack an understanding of the challenges faced by many higher education institutions, including both HBCUs and state schools across the USA. For example, Southern College in Birmingham, AL, closed after 168 years in operation. Various factors such as the economy, enrollment, leadership issues, and operational costs can make a university vulnerable to closure or being placed on warning/probation.

While VUL has its own challenges, they have not acted unethically or lied about the DHA program. Unless you are a DHA student, involved in the program, or connected to VUL, your accusations and innuendos are unfounded and baseless. Your opinion of VUL holds no weight.

Regarding your comment about the absence of tenured professors in a program that is only four years old, it's expected. We have several alumni teaching at schools across the USA, many of whom are adjunct professors. Additionally, numerous DHA alumni hold leadership positions in various sectors, including healthcare. The DHA degree is versatile, preparing graduates for leadership roles beyond academia.

As for the "usefulness of the degree in academia," I have three potential offers to teach at the community college level and two at the university level. An earned doctorate is an earned doctorate. The DHA is primarily a business doctorate similar to a DBA. It is not unique to VUL; many other schools offer the DHA as well. Your focus on disparaging VUL’s DHA program seems driven by personal biases. Furthermore, your inference that a RA holds more importance than a NA is short sighted and foolish. No one cares! Is the institution accredited by the USDOE? That's all that matters. There are Harvard graduates in the same employment lines as VUL!

It’s interesting to note that despite initial skepticism about VUL’s one-year DHA program, several schools now offer 12-24 month professional doctorates. Faulkner University offers an 18-month PhD. Many institutions recognize the demand for shorter, intensive doctoral programs designed for working adults who cannot commit to long-term residential programs.
Completed

Doctor of Healthcare Administration Virginia University of Lynchburg, 2024
Master's in Project Management  |  Universidad Isabel I / ENEB, 2024
MBA  |  Universidad Isabel I / ENEB, 2022
Master in Business & Corporate Communication  |  Universidad Isabel I / ENEB, 2022
BA (Equivalent)  |  NACES, ECE

In Progress

Master's in Human Resources Management, Universidad Isabel I / ENEB
Master's in Big Data & Business Intelligence, Universidad Isabel I / ENEB
Master of Arts in Human Rights Practice | University of Arizona
Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts, Excelsior University 

Let us not engage in "flame-baiting" dialogue. Virginia University of Lynchburg is on probation, plain and simple. I hope the school survives. Sadly, many American colleges are having financial problems.
https://hechingerreport.org/analysis-hun...ing-signs/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stonybeach's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-07-2024, 12:20 AM)michaeladsmith2 Wrote:
(07-06-2024, 05:41 PM)sanantone Wrote: The PhD is not going to make up for the lack of healthcare experience. I've done a search before for tenure-track faculty who have a DHA. There are many of them out there, but they all have DHAs from regionally accredited schools. They also have peer-reviewed publications, so having a professional doctorate hasn't stopped them from conducting research. I'm still waiting on one example of a VUL graduate who landed a tenure-track position with their DHA. I haven't even seen one who has landed a full-time, NTT position that requires a doctorate.

Your comments regarding VUL are offensive and unacceptable. No one at VUL has "lied," and it's clear you lack an understanding of the challenges faced by many higher education institutions, including both HBCUs and state schools across the USA. For example, Southern College in Birmingham, AL, closed after 168 years in operation. Various factors such as the economy, enrollment, leadership issues, and operational costs can make a university vulnerable to closure or being placed on warning/probation.

While VUL has its own challenges, they have not acted unethically or lied about the DHA program. Unless you are a DHA student, involved in the program, or connected to VUL, your accusations and innuendos are unfounded and baseless. Your opinion of VUL holds no weight.

Regarding your comment about the absence of tenured professors in a program that is only four years old, it's expected. We have several alumni teaching at schools across the USA, many of whom are adjunct professors. Additionally, numerous DHA alumni hold leadership positions in various sectors, including healthcare. The DHA degree is versatile, preparing graduates for leadership roles beyond academia.

As for the "usefulness of the degree in academia," I have three potential offers to teach at the community college level and two at the university level. An earned doctorate is an earned doctorate. The DHA is primarily a business doctorate similar to a DBA. It is not unique to VUL; many other schools offer the DHA as well. Your focus on disparaging VUL’s DHA program seems driven by personal biases. Furthermore, your inference that a RA holds more importance than a NA is short sighted and foolish. No one cares! Is the institution accredited by the USDOE? That's all that matters. There are Harvard graduates in the same employment lines as VUL!

It’s interesting to note that despite initial skepticism about VUL’s one-year DHA program, several schools now offer 12-24 month professional doctorates. Faulkner University offers an 18-month PhD. Many institutions recognize the demand for shorter, intensive doctoral programs designed for working adults who cannot commit to long-term residential programs.

The president gave me a rude phone call and lied directly to me. When she tells prospective students that it's illegal to discriminate against NA degrees, that is a lie. Her own on-campus students and faculty have accused her of lying and misappropriating funds. They were even investigated by the FBI. Be delusional all you want, but there are still teaching jobs out there requiring regional accreditation. I was able to land teaching jobs without a doctorate, and I landed a job teaching graduate-level courses at an R1, top 100 university in anticipation of my doctorate being awarded. My field has very limited job openings, by the way. 

The U.S. Department of Education does NOT accredit colleges and universities. The majority of community college teaching positions only require a master's degree.

There are currently 5,886 jobs asking for regionally accredited degrees, and the vast majority of them are in higher education. Oh, look! A health science job asking for a regionally accredited degree.

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?from=apps...809b594fea
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • ss20ts
I mean I once attended a community college where they only required a bachelor's degree to teach there. And boy did it show. It was by far the easiest coursework I've ever had. It made high school look like a piece of cake. I would never recommend that college to anyone because of the lack of education the faculty has. It showed from the faculty to the administration.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • sanantone
(07-07-2024, 03:26 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I mean I once attended a community college where they only required a bachelor's degree to teach there. And boy did it show. It was by far the easiest coursework I've ever had. It made high school look like a piece of cake. I would never recommend that college to anyone because of the lack of education the faculty has. It showed from the faculty to the administration.

A large community college system near me regularly has full-time instructor openings that only require a bachelor's degree, and these are for credit-bearing courses. I think it has something to do with the accreditation guidelines because I've seen other community colleges spell out similar requirements. 

Applied professional or vocational courses only require an associate's or bachelor's degree. 

General education and non-vocational courses intended for transfer require a master's degree, usually with at least 18 credits in the subject. 

Community colleges that offer tenure will give it to someone with a master's degree. I'm not even sure that I've ever seen a community college professor position that requires a doctorate. It might exist somewhere, but I currently can't find an example.
I interviewed and was hired by a community college in my local area soon after getting my masters. It was a tenure track position and didn't require a doctorate.

HOWEVER, tenure track faculty earning a doctorate could expect to see a 50 percent pay raise and a new step scale.
(07-07-2024, 06:43 PM)FireMedic_Philosopher Wrote: I interviewed and was hired by a community college in my local area soon after getting my masters. It was a tenure track position and didn't require a doctorate.

HOWEVER, tenure track faculty earning a doctorate could expect to see a 50 percent pay raise and a new step scale.

Community colleges are a lot like the K-12 system in this regard. They'll offer a pay increase for earning a doctorate (or master's if the position only required an undergraduate degree). There was a VUL graduate who was going back and forth with his community college over a pay increase for his newly-earned DHA. Fellow graduates and students were repeating the same lie that it is illegal to discriminate against NA degrees. He can try to convince them to change their policy, but their policy is not illegal.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sabi University Alpha 13 3,251 5 hours ago
Last Post: TINASAM
  Binghamton University System Science PhD for $15k NotJoeBiden 3 169 09-16-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  University of Central Arkansas's Online Ph.D mohelena02 24 5,414 07-25-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  European International University basu888 51 23,306 07-25-2024, 05:33 AM
Last Post: stevennguyen15691
  Florida Atlantic University: PhD in CS $34K bjcheung77 16 3,847 07-21-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: compsci
  VERN' and Brittany University doyouhowdo1 5 1,024 06-21-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Virginia University of Lynchburg Accreditation on Warning Jonathan Whatley 90 10,562 06-04-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology Sarit1046 20 1,944 04-23-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  DBA from Prague University of Economics and Business, 15k Euro durain 6 1,401 03-17-2024, 12:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Golden Gate University or Apollos DBA? kb24bi8 39 5,687 02-22-2024, 10:34 PM
Last Post: quanticmba