Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.S history 1 closed book final! huh?
Can someone verify that U.S. history 1 from straighterline does have a closed book final and no notes? I also looked at U.S. history II and it is open book. Any idea why one is closed and the other open book?

Considering how random some of the questions are on the U.S. history 1 quizzes, how do they expect people to do well remembering random things without notes? This confuses me. Hopefully the final is 'big picture' questions and not little details that you would need the book and/or notes for.

I'm reading the entire book (I like history) but this closed book stuff stresses me out.
Always check the exam details before enrolling in a course. Online Exam Proctoring Details by Course | StraighterLine

US History I - Closed book. Only scratch paper allowed, one 5 minute break is allowed

Just my opinion, but the CLEP would have been much less work. (shrugs)

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:Always check the exam details before enrolling in a course. Online Exam Proctoring Details by Course | StraighterLine

US History I - Closed book. Only scratch paper allowed, one 5 minute break is allowed

Just my opinion, but the CLEP would have been much less work. (shrugs)

I agree about CLEP, but don't have a great history background, so not sure I would pass US History CLEP.
Did this change recently? I could've sworn a couple weeks ago it was open book.
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
Devanna Wrote:Did this change recently? I could've sworn a couple weeks ago it was open book.

I have no idea. I took the first two quizzes today and did well so hopefully this continues so if i do bomb the final it won't fail me in the class.

I did talk to someone at SL and they said they are slowly transitioning to closed-book final exam for ALL courses. Have no idea when this will be, but I would sign up for all your classes now if you need to. They won't change the rules on you when you are already signed up.

And apparently the are starting to requiring students (only psychology right now from what I understand) to get not only a 70% in the course, but also a minimum of a 70% on the final. That will alienate lots of people I assume.
bhome83 Wrote:I have no idea. I took the first two quizzes today and did well so hopefully this continues so if i do bomb the final it won't fail me in the class.

I did talk to someone at SL and they said they are slowly transitioning to closed-book final exam for ALL courses. Have no idea when this will be, but I would sign up for all your classes now if you need to. They won't change the rules on you when you are already signed up.

And apparently the are starting to requiring students (only psychology right now from what I understand) to get not only a 70% in the course, but also a minimum of a 70% on the final. That will alienate lots of people I assume.

I recommend you save those quizzes to review later, sometimes with SL there are repeat questions on the finals.

I'm pretty sure I purchased U.S. History when it was still open book, so that would mean they're switching to closed book while students are enrolled. -_-

I heard that too, I doubt it'll alienate a lot of people though. Straighterline's a cheap source of credits and not everyone is good at testing out.
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
bhome83 Wrote:I did talk to someone at SL and they said they are slowly transitioning to closed-book final exam for ALL courses. Have no idea when this will be, but I would sign up for all your classes now if you need to. They won't change the rules on you when you are already signed up.

Not necessarily true. I signed up for BIO101L when it was open book, when I got to the final they told me it was closed (and when I double checked afterwards it did state that it was closed book in my course details, which had been updated).
NatashaB Wrote:Not necessarily true. I signed up for BIO101L when it was open book, when I got to the final they told me it was closed (and when I double checked afterwards it did state that it was closed book in my course details, which had been updated).

Do you have a copy of your syllabus showing the requirements when you registered? I would use it and argue the change in testing methods during the registration period. This very same thing happened to someone else and they unfortunately did not have a record of the course requirements prior to change. I wish I could remember the forum member; there was quite a bit of detail, including SLs response, in that thread. If I find it, I'll add the link later.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
US History 1 has been closed book for a long time. That's not one that has recently changed.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
bricabrac Wrote:Do you have a copy of your syllabus showing the requirements when you registered? I would use it and argue the change in testing methods during the registration period. This very same thing happened to someone else and they unfortunately did not have a record of the course requirements prior to change. I wish I could remember the forum member; there was quite a bit of detail, including SLs response, in that thread. If I find it, I'll add the link later.

Thanks. To be honest I just sucked it up - it was my last test before I could cancel my subscription and I just wanted to get it done. I'd already scored over 70% based on the other tests for that class so it was OK. But very frustrating that they can move the goalposts after someone's signed up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Closed Sophia Courses BritStudent 5 493 07-10-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master of Letters in History dewisant 4 507 06-28-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 3,139 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  At 60, She's Becoming a Nurse and Published a Book Jonathan Whatley 4 532 04-04-2024, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 387 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,269 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Open or closed? rachel83az 4 631 07-28-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  History of Degree Awarding Tomes MichaelGates 2 620 07-06-2023, 06:15 PM
  Legacy Admissions with Anti-Semitic History Challenged sanantone 2 644 07-04-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  JD & Masters History - 22 year old bjcheung77 0 569 04-24-2023, 12:13 PM