Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfer Evaluation Woes
Thumbs Down 
So I have applied to the usuals - WGU, EU & UMPI, but was definitely interested to see what EU would give me for my credits.  My eval is weird.  Going for BS: Liberal Arts and its 120 credits.  They accepted 92, but then states I need 38 additional credits.  So, 130... WHY!?

I knew I would need UL courses, but I needed to see what would be considered from what I already have, and I am happy to see my Google Project Management was awarded 6 UL, and Sophia Principles of Management 3 UL.  

Anywho, I am concerned with the fact that for someone else in the same degree program, they accepted the Google Digital Marketing & E-Commerce certificate with 6 LL credits, but not for me.  And my eval states I need 7 more credits in the LL area applied professional or additional arts and sciences.  So... there are 6 right there..  Plus, I had several fall through from Sophia, and any of those would also cover that area, or at least the remaining 1 credit after the google cert.  Especially Art History 2, because they took Art History 1.

I also knew I would need the 7 required credits through EU, so no big deal, and then English Comp 2, because I avoided it.

Maybe I am not reading it right, but if yall could take a look, that would be super.  Maybe I am missing something...I emailed to appeal already.

Attached Files
.pdf   _EDITETara_Excelsior.pdf (Size: 31.83 KB / Downloads: 36)
In Progress: Bachelors of Science in Business Administration - UoPeople / University of the People

Completed: Pierpont Community & Technical College l AAS: Business - Dec 2023
Completed: Google Project Management Specialization - Jan 2024
Completed: Google Digital Marketing & E-Commerce Specialization - Jan 2024
Completed: 108 Sophia Credits - 2023/24

TaraD2020, great post! Sometimes it's a little frustrating deciphering what is shown, that's why we have such a supportive forum. It's OK to rant and vent, but you should really relax and review the following advice. You need to go through a degree plan according to your various variables you want to follow (cost, ease, speed), etc...

My main concern at the moment really isn't the evaluation, it's your decision to decide on the degree/institution of choice. From your current evaluations... What degree/institution hits your fancy? What would that choice of degree/institution be? The reason is, you need to decide if it fits your goals, especially cost, ease, speed to finish.

1) Regarding your degree plan - It's not 130 or 138 credits, you've miscalculated my darling! It's 21 on the top field, 7 on the bottom field, total 28. What's listed under that is the requirements required for both fields. Thus, you only need 28 credits remaining to complete the degree.

2) When you get an email reply back, you'll get the following answer, why you can't use any other classes for the Lower Level requirements. As per point 1, you need specific requirements, that's your Cornerstone, Info Lit, English II - 7 credits baby girl! We got your back really good!

3) You're only left with 21 credits for upper level - 18 UL credits in any arts and science of your choice, pick something of interest, from a cheapo source from NCCRS such as LawShelf, to CooperSmith/Davar, or stick with ACE options such as Study.com for 6 sexy classes to finish off the degree - plus the 3 credit Capstone.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-22-2024, 10:03 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TaraD2020, great post! Sometimes it's a little frustrating deciphering what is shown, that's why we have such a supportive forum.  It's OK to rant and vent, but you should really relax and review the following advice.  You need to go through a degree plan according to your various variables you want to follow (cost, ease, speed), etc...

My main concern at the moment really isn't the evaluation, it's your decision to decide on the degree/institution of choice.  From your current evaluations... What degree/institution hits your fancy? What would that choice of degree/institution be?  The reason is, you need to decide if it fits your goals, especially cost, ease, speed to finish.

1) Regarding your degree plan - It's not 130 or 138 credits, you've miscalculated my darling!  It's 21 on the top field, 7 on the bottom field, total 28.  What's listed under that is the requirements required for both fields.  Thus, you only need 28 credits remaining to complete the degree.

2) When you get an email reply back, you'll get the following answer, why you can't use any other classes for the Lower Level requirements. As per point 1, you need specific requirements, that's your Cornerstone, Info Lit, English II - 7 credits baby girl!  We got your back really good!

3) You're only left with 21 credits for upper level - 18 UL credits in any arts and science of your choice, pick something of interest, from a cheapo source from NCCRS such as LawShelf, to CooperSmith/Davar, or stick with ACE options such as Study.com for 6 sexy classes to finish off the degree - plus the 3 credit Capstone.
I knew I was reading something wrong! Degree Forum to the rescue! For reference, I am getting the degree to “check the box” to go along nicely with my 25 years of marketing experience. Not looking for a new job at the moment.  I have with my current company almost 16 years. I always just wanted to satisfy this one missing link from my life.  With that said, finishing whatever I need through the 3 other sources at my pace, and the required credits at EU, is there really the most economical and potentially less stressful for me. If I need the 7 at EU, that’s $2,870 ($410 a credit w/Sophia discount) + the $300 transfer eval fee for new UL credits. It looks like Lawshelf and CooperSmith are incredibly inexpensive. 5 classes at Lawsmith for $150 and $20 a credit at CooperSmith!! So really, EU maybe my final destination. Thrilled to see Lawshelf is open book voice proctor, which I excel at. And my own pace is more desirable, than a term I have to fit into. 

My question is…how do I know if the courses I chose at LawShelf, Coppersmith or Study are acceptable? 

I’m going to do some digging on what to take to satisfy as well, but looking forward to your advice  Thank you for your kind words and assistance.
In Progress: Bachelors of Science in Business Administration - UoPeople / University of the People

TaraD2020, I still favor UMPI BLS over Excelsior due to a few reasons, it may be minor to you, but all of these work in favor for UMPI.
In brief... You have a combo of cost, ease, speed, and recognition going on favor of UMPI over Excelsior on this one...
So, post your UMPI evaluation when you get it! You have a few threads, one of them was for UMPI BLS.

1) UMPI is part of a larger public/state university system vs Excelsior is a private non-profit university, I favor Public/State over Private Non-Profit
2) UMPI should edge out Excelsior in cost - You can try finishing in 1 session for $1500, but keep your mind open to finishing in 2 for $3K flat.
At Excelsior it's actually $510/credit, $410/credit if you take over 12 credits, then you add the other fees, this will be ~$4K for 7 credits alone.
3) Excelsior Info Lit/Cornerstone and Capstone is done in two separate terms, the capstone itself is more work than roughly 30 credits at UMPI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
(02-23-2024, 12:56 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TaraD2020, I still favor UMPI BLS over Excelsior due to a few reasons, it may be minor to you, but all of these work in favor for UMPI.
In brief... You have a combo of cost, ease, speed, and recognition going on favor of UMPI over Excelsior on this one...
So, post your UMPI evaluation when you get it!  You have a few threads, one of them was for UMPI BLS.

1) UMPI is part of a larger public/state university system vs Excelsior is a private non-profit university, I favor Public/State over Private Non-Profit
2) UMPI should edge out Excelsior in cost - You can try finishing in 1 session for $1500, but keep your mind open to finishing in 2 for $3K flat.
At Excelsior it's actually $510/credit, $410/credit if you take over 12 credits, then you add the other fees, this will be ~$4K for 7 credits alone.
3) Excelsior Info Lit/Cornerstone and Capstone is done in two separate terms, the capstone itself is more work than roughly 30 credits at UMPI.

Interesting regarding #3.....  I see that there is a discount on credit cost, if you have taken 2 or more Sophia credits and transfer to EU.  Its a partner discount, which is $410 per credit - https://www.excelsior.edu/partner/sophia/

I am from NY, so there is a little something about having a "local" degree for me, if that makes sense.  Not a deal breaker for UMPI or any other though. 

I am FREAKING out about essays for UMPI (as I think I have stated on other threads), and there is no way I can get done in 1 term.  I work full time and have a child.  Yes, I have time to work on things when working from home, and in down time.  But there is absolutely no way it will be one term for me.  I cant even handle the pressure of thinking about only "8 weeks" in a term. I would bet that I can maybe finish in THREE terms, which would cost of $4,500.  Remember, this is a check box for me to go along with 25 years of experience.  There is no rush for me really.

I wish they would provide the evaluation already, just so I can finally have everything from WGU, EU and UMPI in front of me.  Any idea on who I can reach out to, to speed up this process?  I do have UMPI mapped out already from from wiki (thank you for that) and as far as I can see, I can do all 30 remaining credits with them, including English comp - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0 and be done.  But again..essays.  Send help!  The panic is real. LOL

BTW, Excelsior and UMPI has a Liberal Studies degree but WGU doesn't, you'll most likely go Business route for WGU or UMPI if you want competency based degree options. Even if you take two sessions at UMPI, you're only paying $3K for the remainder of the requirements, it's still easier to complete than Excelsior's capstone itself. Here's a read where people completed in 1 month and this person is planning to do so as well, they've got more time on their hands and that's the deciding factor: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ek-Session

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
(02-23-2024, 11:40 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: BTW, Excelsior and UMPI has a Liberal Studies degree but WGU doesn't, you'll most likely go Business route for WGU or UMPI if you want competency based degree options.  Even if you take two sessions at UMPI, you're only paying $3K for the remainder of the requirements, it's still easier to complete than Excelsior's capstone itself.  Here's a read where people completed in 1 month and this person is planning to do so as well, they've got more time on their hands and that's the deciding factor: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ek-Session

You are right, every other school would be Liberal Arts, to bring in as many credits as I can.  WGU would be Business Administration, Management.  I just got back my appealed transcript from WGU and attached if you want to take a look on this thread.  I went from 72 needed to 62, but still alot more to do than anywhere else.  If I get one of their scholorships, it could be affordable, but as you keep telling me...U M P I is the place.  lol

UMPI said after March 1, they will begin to review everyone in for Summer 1, which is me.

Attached Files
.pdf   Edit_NEW_Transcript_Evaluation_Results.pdf (Size: 27.62 KB / Downloads: 17)

@bjcheung77 Any idea which of the UL LawShelf classes fall into the Arts & Sciences realm? I found only 1 post from 2022, and its not totally clear.

*shrugs* I don't know, there are equivalency charts for only a handful of institutions, Excelsior is one of them, but not too many will go in arts & sciences at the UL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer 113 to BS in Business (General Business Concentration) mcvjones 3 408 03-15-2024, 03:15 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,506 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study’s Geometry 101 transfer to Excelsior? Thanksforhelphere 2 762 04-07-2023, 11:05 PM
Last Post: smarterby1degree
  Upcoming Change to Transfer Credit Process frankc 6 2,017 03-09-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Need Help reading Excelsior Evaluation ftlmom 5 1,451 03-02-2022, 06:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Please help with EC evaluation adegree4me 2 1,160 12-30-2020, 11:04 PM
Last Post: DanielDaCosta87
  Help Understanding Degree Evaluation SJKBAE 3 1,305 09-02-2020, 04:36 PM
Last Post: BBryant165
  Excelsior Associates and Transfer Question twinroses 10 2,363 08-01-2020, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Ibantpi
  Excelsior AP Transfer guide cstun000 4 1,572 03-17-2019, 08:33 PM
Last Post: cookderosa