Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second degree from a different school
I'd love to get some advice on something I've been thinking about recently, which is the possibility of getting a second bachelor's degree from a completely different school after I finish the one I'm currently working on at TESC.

I know most people recommend going for a graduate degree instead of a second bachelor's, and a master's degree in my current area of study IS something I'm thinking about, but the reason I'm thinking about a second bachelor's is simply because I'm interested in taking college-level courses in a completely different area of study. I'm interested studying crisis counseling at a school that also accepts a large amount of CBEs; so, if I can transfer my CBE credits in and only have 60 or so credits to earn through them, would it make any sense to do it that way?

I've seen a lot of threads about second degrees through TESC, but I'm wondering if there's any general information out there about using previously earned credits to earn a second degree through a different school.

Thanks!!
June 2016: B.A. in English - TESU

CLEP
A&I Lit 79, Intro Soc 65, Intro Psych 73, Intro Edu Psych 60, Human G&D 65, English Lit 73, Am Lit 73, Hum 63, College Comp 63, Prin Mark 73
DSST
Intro Comp 460, Env & Hum 65, Intro World Rel 475, Tech Writ 67, Ethics in Amer 456, H/C Geog 60, Gen Anthro 68, R&F Sov Un 73, HTYH 468
TECEP
Public Relations: Thought and Practice 86
TEEX
Cyber 101: Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber 201: Cyber Security for IT Professionals
Cyber 301: Cyber Security for Business Professionals
ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra
UEXCEL
Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School - A

Credits 120/120 I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
C. S. Lewis
I think you would be better-served if you could find a Master's in that area that either didn't require specific pre-req's, or for which your undergrad could be used as a pre-req. 60 additional undergrad hours is going to take you about the same amount of time as it would take to get a Master's degree (in many cases).

It will probably be difficult to find a counseling degree that does not require a psych/sociology undergrad, but it's worth it to look.

As for your question on double-dipping with your previous credits that were applied to your first undergrad, this will be a matter of individual university policy.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
I intend to get a second undergrad from TESC, mostly because of the limited cost (don't have to meet residency again!) and the ability to test out of classes does not make it on par with the cost/time for a masters. I will also work on a graduate degree, but I enjoy the format I've had for my undergrad and I see this as a cheap opportunity to get a degree in areas that I have personal (but little professional) interest.

To each his own. I would ask, why a different school?
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:To each his own. I would ask, why a different school?

Looks like OP is seeking a specific degree (crisis counseling) that OP's chosen school offers. Now, if you could get a second degree in another area while only having to take a minimal number of courses (especially if you could test out of those), then I'd say go for it. But the idea of taking 60 additional hours of synchronous courses for a second Bachelor's (which seems like it may be the case in OP's scenario, considering it is sort of a clinical major) just sounds like too much trouble for the payoff.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
Here is Charter Oak's policy: Earning a Second Degree - Charter Oak State College Catalog

To use up some business classes I had taken a few years ago, I was considering a BSBA after finishing an IS program. Grad school is delayed, so I was looking for something to do while I was waiting. Not sure how much it would benefit me but it was an interest.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

happydayruth Wrote:I'd love to get some advice on something I've been thinking about recently, which is the possibility of getting a second bachelor's degree from a completely different school after I finish the one I'm currently working on at TESC.

I know most people recommend going for a graduate degree instead of a second bachelor's, and a master's degree in my current area of study IS something I'm thinking about, but the reason I'm thinking about a second bachelor's is simply because I'm interested in taking college-level courses in a completely different area of study. I'm interested studying crisis counseling at a school that also accepts a large amount of CBEs; so, if I can transfer my CBE credits in and only have 60 or so credits to earn through them, would it make any sense to do it that way?

I've seen a lot of threads about second degrees through TESC, but I'm wondering if there's any general information out there about using previously earned credits to earn a second degree through a different school.

Thanks!!

Just answering generically, the 100 and 200 level coursework is really where you can save huge time and money through cheap testing and free credit. 300 and 400 level are a little more tricky in planning and can be more expensive. You're also more limited in choices- where you might have 15 options to meet one 100 level course, at the 300 level, there might only be 1 or 2 options that are either inexpensive or testable. My point, is that the low-hanging fruit is in your first 60 credits.

When you complete a second degree in a new area, you're likely going to have to earn no less than 15, and possibly 30+ new credits that may all be upper level. That can be a challenge and expensive. A master's degree (while testing isn't really an option) is going to be sitting around 30 credits give or take. If you're willing to spend $250/credit, you should get the masters. The work is the work- you either do it for one class or another. IMO, my graduate school wasn't "harder" but it did require more writing and reading- something that I enjoy doing and am speedy at, so for *me* doing some of my grad classes/writing papers was actually easier than studying for a test that I had to take without notes /closed book / proctored (I'm a pretty poor test taker).

So imo, time-work-money you really are not too far apart between the two. The other part of my opinion, is that having a second undergraduate degree is less useful than having a masters degree probably 90% of the time. There is a distinction between studying something you enjoy and earning a credential. My opinion is that by if you're earning the credential (MS) you should make it count. Just my two cents, and for what it's worth, I'd considered a second BA for a long time. SO glad to have my master's degree behind me, it was worth it and I don't know if after completing a SECOND BA that I'd have the stamina to do it all again for a master.
dmjacobsen Wrote:Looks like OP is seeking a specific degree (crisis counseling) that OP's chosen school offers.

^This is correct.

Thanks for the information everyone! If I were to pursue a second bachelor's, it would be more because it's a subject I'm interested in, I enjoy learning and the learning process, and I would not be as concerned at that point with the time or work involved. But I'll be weighing all my options. Thanks again!
June 2016: B.A. in English - TESU

CLEP
A&I Lit 79, Intro Soc 65, Intro Psych 73, Intro Edu Psych 60, Human G&D 65, English Lit 73, Am Lit 73, Hum 63, College Comp 63, Prin Mark 73
DSST
Intro Comp 460, Env & Hum 65, Intro World Rel 475, Tech Writ 67, Ethics in Amer 456, H/C Geog 60, Gen Anthro 68, R&F Sov Un 73, HTYH 468
TECEP
Public Relations: Thought and Practice 86
TEEX
Cyber 101: Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber 201: Cyber Security for IT Professionals
Cyber 301: Cyber Security for Business Professionals
ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra
UEXCEL
Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School - A

Credits 120/120 I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
C. S. Lewis

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Med school - anyone interested? Well... bjcheung77 24 952 09-21-2024, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,856 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 412 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,483 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 363 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,743 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,305 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,724 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,355 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,380 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader