Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to get a degree using CLEPs
I have 24 traditional credits right now and will have 30 by the end of this semester(December). I am going to begin taking CLEP tests as tests are my strong point in classes. My last class(night class), I only went to about 20% of my classes and read the chapters for about 2 hrs before the tests and got 2 Bs and 1 C on the test.

I am hoping to take one every Friday, but I'm wondering if that seems a bit too much ?

I am trying to sign up for IC online but it is having an issue with my CC and i'm not sure why. I figure that'd give me a ballpark on how long studying would take as I read 90-95% is required to really do well on a test.

Thanks
Chase
One CLEP a week? Two weeks seems more practical -- but -- maybe you have a good grounding in a lot of subjects?? Smile
You don't have to get 90-95% on IC to pass the actual CLEP. If you're trying for a really high score, though, 90-95% would help. Smile Have fun!
I've been doing CLEPs and DSSTs for almost a year and have 84 credits from that. What I found works for my schedule is to schedule a test once a week for three weeks and then take two weeks off. That way I have extra time for tests that are tougher, but I can knock off the easier ones once a week. Plus, the two weeks also gives me a chance to catch up on other things that start to fall by the wayside as I'm up to my ears in study.
Well I will start with once a week unless I have some problems. I do have a good grounding in most subjects.. And I've always done very well on standardized tests also. I'm going to try and start with history next friday and we'll see how that goes. As long as I can get signed up with IC tomorrow. Sounds like I need to use a diff credit card.
ChaserRu Wrote:Well I will start with once a week unless I have some problems. I do have a good grounding in most subjects.. And I've always done very well on standardized tests also. I'm going to try and start with history next friday and we'll see how that goes. As long as I can get signed up with IC tomorrow. Sounds like I need to use a diff credit card.
>>

Also be sure you have the current CLEP official study guide. It's $20 and has all the practice exams and official break down of what is covered. You'll be able to use it for all of your exams.

Here is my only caution- if you fail an exam, you have to wait 6 months to retake it. An extra week spent might be all that is necessary to earn a pass. Whoever told you that you need 90-95% correct is wrong- it's a scaled score of 50 or better. There is no benefit to earning 95% on the exam- it's pass/fail.

There is a lot of strategy in testing, searching here is a great tool to help you plan! Good Luck!
I'm with CDM on the pace, I think 2 weeks per test is more realistic. Unless you are taking 2 that are similar (e.g. Intro to Psych. + Educational Psych.), you may be able to do something like that. I am pretty disciplined in my studying, about 2 hours a day, and I have taken 9 since July 2nd. About 1 every 2 weeks. Good Luck.

Chuck
[SIZE="1"]AAS (Electronics), TESC-Done
BA Psychology, TESC-Done & waiting
Tests- Eng. Comp. w/ Essay-51, Principles of Mgmt.-59, Intro. to Soc.-62, US History I-66, US History II-61, Intro. to Psych.-68, Biology-55, A&I Lit.-62, Ed. Psych.-63, Soc. Sci. and History-63, Human Growth & Development-65, American Gov't-64, Tech. Writing-63, HTYH-64, Drug & Alc. Abuse-58, Org. Behavior-67, Prin. of Statistics-62, Intro. World Religion-68, Intro to Computing-403, Ethics-439. Research Methods in Psych.-A, Psych. of Personality TECEP-73, Abnormal Psych TECEP-74, Industrial Psych-71
Next-???[/SIZE]
Each person is different. I was able to do one test every 7-10 days, which I thought was quick until I saw others were doing the same thing with three days of study. Once you take several tests, you'll get a better feel for how much prep time you need. Good luck!
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
Basket Weaver Wrote:Each person is different. I was able to do one test every 7-10 days, which I thought was quick until I saw others were doing the same thing with three days of study. Once you take several tests, you'll get a better feel for how much prep time you need. Good luck!

I Agree, each person is different (as each exam). Once you start testing, you'll discover what's comfortable for you. I was able to study just 3 hours for a few exams, and in contrast I needed 2 weeks for others. The first exam was scary so I chose something in my field (MIS). Afterwards, I just paced myself from there. You'll know how long you need to study based on the content, your level of understanding, retention, ect.
Anne,
Next up: SPHR Exam again, missed it by 50 pts first attempt....:eek:
BS Liberal Arts - Excelsior College, MBA/HRM - Northcentral University

[SIZE="1"]Check a New Dreams & Goals Discussion Forum at http://www.getwettodayforum.com[/SIZE]
I think that the reference to getting a 90-95% was referring to the IC flash cards for the associated CLEP.
ChaserRu Wrote:I have 24 traditional credits right now and will have 30 by the end of this semester(December). I am going to begin taking CLEP tests as tests are my strong point in classes. My last class(night class), I only went to about 20% of my classes and read the chapters for about 2 hrs before the tests and got 2 Bs and 1 C on the test.

I am hoping to take one every Friday, but I'm wondering if that seems a bit too much ?

I am trying to sign up for IC online but it is having an issue with my CC and i'm not sure why. I figure that'd give me a ballpark on how long studying would take as I read 90-95% is required to really do well on a test.

Thanks
Chase
>>

Did you take one yesterday or are you waiting until next week? Which one are you starting with?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 407 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,480 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 355 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,722 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,292 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,377 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 175 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,588 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 754 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,911 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema