Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking about the EC RN Bridge....
I am seriously considering the Medic to RN Bridge at EC (in addition to my MBA haha).

Actually my thought is to get Microbiology, A&P,HGD - DSST, Sociology, and the EC transitions exam done by the end of summer so I can start the RN Bridge in earnest by say September. I think I might like to be a Chief Nursing Officer some day, MBA/RN should work, maybe pick up the MSN at some point via WGU. Anyways, I would like to hear why this is a silly/bad idea. I also need any ideas you guys might have on the Micro and A&P.

Straighterline is a partner, but they put a cap on the number of core credits...so I don't know if their A&P would work I need other alternatives. EC has an exam of course...but its pricey at $400 or so.

I think the independent studies micro at University of Idaho might be the way to go on that course, or the EC exam...I prefer the certainty of a course though.

It has to be on the cheap...I'm not gonna float a lot of cash on the pre-reqs.

What does the IC Tribe think? Has the rebel lost his mind?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
If you decide to do this, I will be studying for Microbiology and A&P with you. I need them as prerequisites for a doctoral program I'm applying to. I need lab for those two courses and Central Texas College gives lab credit for the ECEs. For speed, it's either ECE or Straighterline; but, I'm not sure about the acceptance of Straighterline. I've checked out books from the library. No need to spend anymore money.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:If you decide to do this, I will be studying for Microbiology and A&P with you. I need them as prerequisites for a doctoral program I'm applying to. I need lab for those two courses and Central Texas College gives lab credit for the ECEs. For speed, it's either ECE or Straighterline; but, I'm not sure about the acceptance of Straighterline. I've checked out books from the library. No need to spend anymore money.

They ought to allow my Paramedic Body Systems class...hands down the toughest course I have ever taken. I do get to skip the labs, though it might be wise to take them. I could maybe do the NMJC A&P over the summer...I deplore synchronous learning though.

What Doctoral program are you considering?
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I've applied to two programs so far. One's in public health with a concentration in biosecurity and disaster preparedness and the other is in biodefense. The former will require graduate-level statistics before I start if I'm accepted. Right now, I'm thinking about applying to an integrated biological science program possibly with a concentration in neuroscience. I'll need two years of biology with labs, one year of chemistry with labs, one year of organic chemistry with labs, one year of physics, and one semester of calculus. The expensive part will be completing organic chemistry with labs at University of New England because it's the only place I can find it.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
The fellow who blogged at nickthenurse.com was a military medic and LVN instructor and had two master's degrees.

He qualified as an RN through Excelsior and licensed in Nevada… but he really wanted a license in his home state of California. The California Board of Nursing had had an absolute ban on licensing RNs who qualified through Excelsior after a certain graduation date, but they eventually opened the door somewhat to consider Excelsior grads on a case-by-case basis. They denied Nick's first application. He wrote wrote an appeal letter. Now they offered the possibility of admission if he completed a BSN.

He completed the WGU BSN in forty days. He was admitted as a registered nurse.

rebel, you're a nontraditional higher education star. I can't see any reason why another story like this one shouldn't be yours. sanantone, you too.

(nickthenurse's site is now viewable by invited readers only, so I'm repeating my report on his story from DI last year.)
sanantone Wrote:I've applied to two programs so far. One's in public health with a concentration in biosecurity and disaster preparedness and the other is in biodefense. The former will require graduate-level statistics before I start if I'm accepted. Right now, I'm thinking about applying to an integrated biological science program possibly with a concentration in neuroscience. I'll need two years of biology with labs, one year of chemistry with labs, one year of organic chemistry with labs, one year of physics, and one semester of calculus. The expensive part will be completing organic chemistry with labs at University of New England because it's the only place I can find it.

Sounds like loads of fun!

Check out the University of Oregon for Chem/Organic Chem Online Organic Chemistry -- Online Chemistry & Lab Courses -- Oregon State University Ecampus -- OSU Extended Campus Its a blended format with minimal on campus visits....When I looked at them I was really impressed with the quality of the instructors.

You can learn to make Beer there too: https://pne.oregonstate.edu/catalog/brew...ce-courses Smile
AS in EMS August 2010

Thanks for the suggestion, but I live in Texas and the plane/bus/train tickets along with the hotel would make the whole thing more expensive than the University of New England.

I wish I could help you out with more self-paced options. I tried to find some myself a couple of weeks ago. University of New England has all of the typical pre-med courses, but they are really expensive.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P