Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input!
Provider: Study.com
Course: Psychology 316: Advanced Social Psychology
Course content: Study.com quizzes and 4 written assignments
Final exam format: 70 multiple choice questions
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Similar but the practice tests have very little in common with the final.
Time taken on course: A couple of weeks
Familiarity with subject before course: I have taken other psychology courses in the past
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: There are some really fancy terms for really simple things that you have to memorize. Other than that it's pretty straightforward
1-10 Difficulty level: 5. 4 written assignments is sort of a pain
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • RachelB
Provider:
Study.com
Course:
Computer Science 107: Database Fundamentals
Course content: How is the material presented? Videos? Text? External content? Do you have to buy/have other materials?
12 chapters of content that encompasses anywhere from 3-12 lessons where each lesson is presented in reading (some are text only) and video format. Each lesson had a quiz at the end that asked 5 questions about the lesson. There are 107 quizzes in all. Each chapter also had a practice quiz of about 20-30 questions that was taken from the quiz pool. 
Final exam format: How many questions? Multiple choice? Essay? Both? Something else?
100 questions, multiple choice for the final proctored exam which counts towards 1/3rd of the final grade. There is a writing assignment counting for the next 1/3rd that I haven't submitted yet, but it seems straight forward. Quizzes go toward the last 1/3rd of the grade. 
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Have you seen the information before in the course, or was it a total curve ball?
There were about 10(?) repeated questions from the quizzes and practice test that was in the 100 question final. Even so, the questions were very similarly to the quizzes and the practice tests, so they are worth redoing and studying. 
Time taken on course: Hours? Weeks? Days?
I came in with 9 out of 107 quizzes completed prior to starting the course so that helped save a tiny bit of time. I still spent over 10 hours going through the rest of the quizzes, the videos/reading, practice tests, and studying for them. An additional 45 minutes was spent on taking the proctored final itself. I expect the paper will take me about 3 hours to write (to be updated later). 
Familiarity with subject before course: Never heard of it before taking the course, Low, medium, high, I do this every day. How would you have scored on the final with no preparation?
High. I currently work as a software developer and have experience working on backend stuff w/ Postgres and MySql. I am pretty certain I would have passed (at least 70%) if I wanted to go into the final exam blind. 
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know:
If you are at or close to my level of familiarity, you can get by just doing all the quizzes, the chapter practice tests, and studying those questions and answers and you will pass. I put in a bit more time to make sure I got a decent grade on the final so I don't have to work so hard on the paper (I hate papers). 
1-10 Difficulty level:
2-3 Easy. I can see this being challenging for someone new to databases.
Provider:
Study.com
Course:
Computer Science 303: Database Management
Course content: 
The usual SDC. 12 chapters with 3-12 lessons where each lesson is presented in reading (some are text only) and video format. Each lesson had a quiz at the end that asked 5 questions about the lesson. There are 70 quizzes in all. Each chapter also had a practice quiz of about 20-30 questions that was taken from the quiz pool. Quizzes count toward 1/3rd of the grade. There is a programming assignment counting for the next 1/3rd that I haven't started yet. And the final counts towards the remaining 1/3rd of the grade. 
Final exam format: 
70 questions, multiple choice (choose the correct answer out of the 4-5 choices offered) for the final proctored exam.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: 
There didn't seem to be any verbatim repeat questions from the quizzes or practice tests, but there were some repeats from the CS107 final that I took yesterday. There were about 10 scenario type questions I wasn't expecting, but they were not hard. It felt like they wrote different questions for the combination of the lessons in CS303 rather than relying on the same question bank as CS107. However, the questions in general had the same feel as the quizzes and practice tests so those are worth studying as part of your review. 
Time taken on course:
I just finished the CS107 final yesterday so started CS303 because there was a huge overlap between the two DB courses. I came in with a whopping 57 out of 70 quizzes done for CS303 before I even started the course. I spent 2 hours on the remaining quizzes and another 2 hours taking the practice tests and reviewing them and spent about an hour on the proctored final itself. This was all done in a day. There is a programming project that I haven't started yet, but it doesn't seem like it would take me too much time to get through. 
Familiarity with subject before course: 
High. I currently work as a software developer and have experience working on backend stuff w/ Postgres and MySql. I am pretty certain I would have passed (at least 70%) if I wanted to go into the final exam blind. I actually scored better on this one than I did on CS107.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know:
If you are at or close to my level of familiarity, you can get by just doing all the quizzes, the chapter practice tests, and studying those questions and answers and you will pass. If you are not familiar, then I urge you to actually practice writing SQL on SQLZoo, a similar site, or set up your own DB to practice with.  
1-10 Difficulty level:
2-3 Easy. I can see this being challenging for someone new to databases.
Course: Psychology 315: Psychology of Motivation
Course content: Study.com quizzes and 1 written assignments
Final exam format: 70 multiple choice questions
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Similar
Time taken on course: A couple of weeks
Familiarity with subject before course: I have taken other psychology courses in the past
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: A decent chunk of this material deals with physical structures in the brain & what they do or control in your body. I found that somewhat difficult to memorize since some lessons give you literally 20 of them and just expect you to remember them.
1-10 Difficulty level: 5. None of it is too hard but the technical stuff is difficult to remember in the volume that they present you with it.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Course: Computer Science 105: Introduction to Operating Systems
Course content: Videos, some pages of just text.
Final exam format: 100 questions, IIRC. Multiple-choice.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Even though networking is covered in just one chapter, it felt like the final exam asked a LOT of questions about networking and the OSI model.
Time taken on course: 5-7 days.
Familiarity with subject before course: I'm pretty familiar with computers and had taken Google's IT Support Professional certificate which came in a bit handy.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: I was not expecting so many questions about networking to be on the final exam. Make sure you have a good understanding of the different layers and what they do. I didn't do this and my score was lower than it should've been.
1-10 Difficulty level: 5

Course: Computer Science 303: Database Management
Course content: Videos, a few pages of just text.
Final exam format: 70 multiple-choice questions + 1 assignment where you set up a database.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Exam content matched the course content very well.
Time taken on course: 5-ish days.
Familiarity with subject before course: Some SQL experience but it's been quite a few years.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: The assignment is extremely easy. Even if you've never set up a database before, the whole process should only take you a few hours. The complication is that the explanations of what you're supposed to do doesn't always make sense. Make sure you read each step thoroughly before you proceed to follow along in your DB copy. If you don't, you could find yourself having to go back and undo things in order to match what's actually expected (as I had to do a couple of times).
1-10 Difficulty level: 4 or 5. Extremely easy for an UL course.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • AnandB, spohara
Provider: ASU
Course: Health & Wellness
Course content: How is the material presented? Video lectures, health data and guidelines PDFs 
Final exam format: 40 Multiple choice or true/false questions
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Reflected the course 
Time taken on course: 8 weeks
Familiarity with subject before course: I've pretty well versed in health subjects so this was really easy. I didn't have to study or watch lectures much to ace the quizzes from weeks 2-7. I just skimmed them. Week 1 had some tidbits about a health organization and it's agenda that I didn't know about but the content is easy.
Things to know: A lot of quiz/final exam questions are very obvious & common sense questions. I also don't think the PDF/reading material really added much or is anything you need to memorize. Everything you need to know mainly lies within the video lectures. 
Course difficulty 1-10: 1
Final grade: A
(12-02-2020, 07:18 PM)Suspiria Wrote: Provider: ASU
Course: Health & Wellness
Course content: How is the material presented? Video lectures, health data and guidelines PDFs 
Final exam format: 40 Multiple choice or true/false questions
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Reflected the course 
Time taken on course: 8 weeks
Familiarity with subject before course: I've pretty well versed in health subjects so this was really easy. I didn't have to study or watch lectures much to ace the quizzes from weeks 2-7. I just skimmed them. Week 1 had some tidbits about a health organization and it's agenda that I didn't know about but the content is easy.
Things to know: A lot of quiz/final exam questions are very obvious & common sense questions. I also don't think the PDF/reading material really added much or is anything you need to memorize. Everything you need to know mainly lies within the video lectures. 
Course difficulty 1-10: 1
Final grade: A

Who is ASU?
(12-07-2020, 09:58 AM)elledee2020 Wrote: Who is ASU?

elledee2020,

Arizona State University's Earned Admission program link here https://ea.asu.edu/
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

IMO, ASU doesn't really belong here because it's NOT alt credit. There is a thread with more reviews here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...UIdaho-etc
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • CableGuy98
(12-02-2020, 04:04 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Provider: Study.com
Course: Computer Science 105: Introduction to Operating Systems
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Even though networking is covered in just one chapter, it felt like the final exam asked a LOT of questions about networking and the OSI model. 

Was the final exam content a good match for the quizzes and practice chapter examss?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 69 45,472 09-24-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Saver - 30% off 3 months portals 42 7,602 09-24-2024, 06:32 PM
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 244 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Straighterline Open Book Finals cookiecandle 15 10,876 09-16-2024, 12:24 AM
Last Post: VanillaBean
Lightbulb Study.com 5 Exam Limit per Month Clarification Jaymes 2 293 09-13-2024, 08:06 PM
  Study.com non-proctored final exams Tsanchez123 6 647 08-30-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: wow
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 398 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
  Study.com renewal discount Tsanchez123 1 244 08-25-2024, 10:53 AM
  Question re: Straighterline ACC150 ExcellentPhoto 3 326 08-16-2024, 11:49 AM
  Which order should I take these Study.com Classes from easiest to most difficult? mohelena02 9 3,252 08-16-2024, 11:36 AM