Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TESU portfolio tips
What was the name of advisor who told you this? It's interesting, we have example on this form of people doing otherwise.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Todd Siben.

Do you know if there students who have received credit at the $379/12 credit rate for portfolios evaluated by TESU who:
  • Did not take TESU's PLA-100/200
  • and who took equivalent PLA preparatory courses elsewhere (such as Kaplan), or, who completed a portfolio elsewhere?

Here is why I want to know. I was told back in 2013 that I had to take PLA-100/200 in order to qualify for the $379/12 credits rate. Otherwise I would have had to pay the per credit rate to have my portfolios evaluated. I was told that, even though I has successfully completed portfolios at TESU, this did not qualify me for the $379/12 credits rate. So I made a choice based on a standard that I assumed would be equally applied to all students. Now it appears that either I was given wrong information at that time (upon which I acted and spent a lot of money that I didn't need to spend, plus it set me back in other ways that I have not discussed here), there is wrong information being given to other TESU students who are interested in the portfolio process but who have not taken TESU's PLA-100/200, or the standard is not being equally applied for some reason.

It would be really helpful for me to know if TESU has given portfolio credit at the $379/12 credit rate to students who did not complete TESU's PLA-100/200. I would appreciate hearing from students who have actually done it, or reading their forum posts if somebody can link them here.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
tesu-acct-student Wrote:Todd Siben.

See:

sanantone Wrote:Todd Siben is wrong. He's known for being hostile to students going the less-traditional route and getting himself confused. You can try sending Marc Singer an email because his position is higher than Todd Siben's.

---

tesu-acct-student Wrote:Do you know if there students who have received credit at the $379/12 credit rate for portfolios evaluated by TESU who:
  • Did not take TESU's PLA-100/200
  • and who took equivalent PLA preparatory courses elsewhere (such as Kaplan), or, who completed a portfolio elsewhere?

I know that forum user FallingWaters went entirely through LearningCounts and received credit from LC and TESU, without TESU PLA100/200. There are likely others, but that user I know off the top of my head.

tesu-acct-student Wrote:Here is why I want to know. I was told back in 2013 that I had to take PLA-100/200 in order to qualify for the $379/12 credits rate. Otherwise I would have had to pay the per credit rate to have my portfolios evaluated. I was told that, even though I has successfully completed portfolios at TESU, this did not qualify me for the $379/12 credits rate. So either I was given wrong information at that time (upon which I acted and spent a lot of money that I didn't need to spend, plus it set me back in other ways that I have not discussed here), or there is wrong information being given to other TESU students who are interested in the portfolio process but who have not taken TESU's PLA-100/200.

You already had the director of the program from TESU come on in this very thread to clarify that this was incorrect. I don't know what else to tell you.
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post201636

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

jsd Wrote:You already had the director of the program from TESU come on in this very thread to clarify that this was incorrect. I don't know what else to tell you.
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post201636

Yes, I saw that, but I also saw that he didn't mention the $379/12 credit rate. So I wondered if these students were paying a higher rate. That's why I keep asking about the rate these TESU students are paying for their TESU portfolio evaluations.

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
I prefer talking to Marc Singer because Todd Siben often gives out bad information and starts getting rude when you question his questionable answers. If Marc Singer doesn't know the answer, then he will find it usually by contacting the registrar. The registrar is the department that made the determination that the Kaplan PLA course will replace PLA 100 and 200. Concerning cost, the bursar is the department that will know how much is charged.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
tesu-acct-student Wrote:Yes, I saw that, but I also saw that he didn't mention the $379/12 credit rate. So I wondered if these students were paying a higher rate. That's why I keep asking about the rate these TESU students are paying for their TESU portfolio evaluations.

TESU only offers one rate structure for PLA evaluation. This was already discussed ad nauseam.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

jsd Wrote:I know that forum user FallingWaters went entirely through LearningCounts and received credit from LC and TESU, without TESU PLA100/200. There are likely others, but that user I know off the top of my head.

Tell me what "entirely through LearningCounts" means. Does it mean that LC did all of the portfolio evaluations, then TESU accepted them as credits? To me, "entirely through LearningCounts" sounds like TESU did not do the actual portfolio evaluations. If that is the case, then this is not what I'm talking about.

jsd Wrote:TESU only offers one rate structure for PLA evaluation. This was already discussed ad nauseam.

Actually, I have evidence that this is not the case, which I presented here.

tesu-acct-student Wrote:Actually, I have evidence that this is not the case, which I presented here.

The only evidence you presented was that you were told otherwise, and the director came and debunked that. Beyond that, you went in circles with sanantone who tried in earnest to clarify for you, on top of that we have the pricing structure from the actual website. I'm tapping out, I don't think this can possibly be productive at this point.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

tesu-acct-student Wrote:Actually, I have evidence that this is not the case, which I presented here.

There is a difference for the single course option. If you just want to submit a 3-credit portfolio and only one 3-credit portfolio, then you only have to take PLA-100, and you will pay for the portfolio assessment by credit hour. The credit hour rate, however, is less than the credit hour rate one would pay for an online, guided study, or e-Pack course. If you want to earn more than 3 credits by portfolio assessment, you have to take PLA-100 and 200, transfer in an equivalent course, or have previous experience with doing PLAs. In this case, portfolio assessments are charged at a flat rate. Still, if you only want to earn 3 credits and have already taken an equivalent course for 100 and 200, then they're only going to charge you $379.

I've emailed the bursar in order to obtain proof.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,546 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 4,078 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,868 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 4,122 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 3,184 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,643 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,903 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,613 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,834 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 3,193 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore