Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU and study.com
Hello, oh knowledgeable ones!
I have so often read about the relationship between study.com & TESU.  I should have paid closer attention.  So please excuse my dullness.  I may not recall this correctly, but did someone say something about signing up for study.com before June 2018?  A residency fee waiver maybe?

Here's the catch though, we are not yet signed up for TESU.  Does that have to happen first to take advantage of any perk savings?

When you say register for study.com, does that mean the $199/month option?  We have not used study.com at all, but are nearing the point where this option might be helpful.

I am so clueless that I am probably not asking the right questions.
Thanks for any light you may provide.   Shy
Here's the deal. It doesn't really matter which order you join either TESU or Study.com, although if you do study.com first, then you can just check a box in the TESU application. If you do it the other way, you have to call in and ask TESU to apply the study.com affiliation to your account. As for the June 2018 thing...

Back in early spring 2016, study.com and TESU announced their affiliate pricing with pretty good discounts. In June 2016, TESU raised the prices on their tuition and residency waiver. The contract between the two had specific prices rather than percentage or dollar discounts, so the study.com discount off the residency waiver went from $200 to $700 and similarly for tuition. That contract expires at the end of June and we expect that the discount program will go back to being more modest after that point. So if you need to take your capstone or pay your residency waiver and can get them in before then, you should.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • stampbuyme
This is so helpful. Thank you, davewill. A few clarifying questions:

To join study.com and receive affiliation status, do we have to join at the most expensive level, or can we do the cheapest version to be counted?

Does study.com waive the capstone requirement? (Not understanding that connection from your post.)

And am I correct in understanding that I need to join BOTH study.com AND TESU before the end of June this year to receive these benefits.

Many, many thanks for your help!
(03-01-2018, 03:24 PM)stampbuyme Wrote: This is so helpful.  Thank you, davewill.  A few clarifying questions:

To join study.com and receive affiliation status, do we have to join at the most expensive level, or can we do the cheapest version to be counted?

Does study.com waive the capstone requirement?  (Not understanding that connection from your post.)

And am I correct in understanding that I need to join BOTH study.com AND TESU before the end of June this year to receive these benefits.

The study.com affiliation waives the cornerstone, not the capstone. I mentioned the capstone because it's the one course you have to take at TESU, and the out of state tuition for it is $1497, but it's only $1098 with the study.com discount. Unfortunately, joining by June 30 isn't enough. You have to actually get the affiliation, register for the course and pay the tuition by then. Similarly with the residency waiver. You have to pay it by then, and if you don't graduate within a year of paying it, you forfeit it.

Yes, you need the full membership, and you will have to complete at least one course and transfer it. Being a member is enough to tick the checkbox on the TESU application, but the assumption is that you will complete and transfer a course.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

(03-01-2018, 03:24 PM)stampbuyme Wrote: This is so helpful.  Thank you, davewill.  A few clarifying questions:

Does study.com waive the capstone requirement?  (Not understanding that connection from your post.)

To clarify, Study.com affiliate status currently provides the following benefits at TESU:
  • In-state pricing for both per-credit and comprehensive tuition plans
  • A reduction in the Residency Waiver Fee from $2,500 to $1,800 (28% off)
  • A reduction in the per-credit tuition plan from $499 to $366 per credit (27% off)
  • Waiver of the Cornerstone requirement for degree plans
This will be changing in July 2018. Assuming the plan doesn't go away, it seems likely the actual discounts will change to agree with the posted discounts, which are 10% off the Residency Waiver fee and 5% off [in-state] per-credit tuition costs.

As far as I know, to take advantage of these benefits you need to both be a member of Study.com (you validate your Study.com status by transcribing a completed course to TESU, so you'll need to be on the $199 College Accelerator plan and complete a course to do so) and enrolled at TESU. In order to gain the benefit of the reduced Residency Waiver, you'd have to pre-pay for the Residency Waiver before the end of June, which gives you a year to graduate (or you have to pay then current fee.) I think you'll also need to register and pay for any courses you want (the Capstone, for example) before the end of July as well to be guaranteed the tuition discount.

If you're confident that you'll be ready to graduate before July 2019, then pre-paying for the Waiver and Capstone before July 1st will save you some money in the long run. Otherwise, you may be better off just waiting until you're closer and pay the higher fees.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Muldoon
There’s nothing on TESU’s study.com landing page that mentions anything of a price increase, seems very unfair that they’re not even notifying people sooner. They should really honor the current prices for enrolled study.com students (who enroll at TESU after June 2018) before a notice has been posted.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
BABA, New England College, 2019
(03-01-2018, 06:35 PM)harrypotter Wrote: There’s nothing on TESU’s study.com landing page that mentions anything of a price increase, seems very unfair that they’re not even notifying people sooner. They should really honor the current prices for enrolled study.com students before a notice has been posted.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

I wouldn't expect an announcement until May or so. Definitely not before they've finished negotiating a new deal with Study.com or decide to end the affiliation. They don't protect existing students from any other tuition or fee hikes, so I wouldn't expect them to do it with the Study.com discount either. However, they will and are honoring the existing pricing and will undoubtedly do so until the new pricing takes effect.

Nothing ever "honors" current prices, no matter what school you're at, unless they specifically say that if you remain enrolled, your tuition will not go up. But in general, when you're a student at a university, when prices go up, you pay new prices. That's how it works everywhere. No catalog or anything locks in current pricing forever.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 68 44,931 Yesterday, 03:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Limited Time 68% Off College Saver at Study.com portals 41 7,296 Yesterday, 03:21 PM
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 191 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Lightbulb Study.com 5 Exam Limit per Month Clarification Jaymes 2 246 09-13-2024, 08:06 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,910 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Study.com non-proctored final exams Tsanchez123 6 621 08-30-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: wow
  Study.com renewal discount Tsanchez123 1 238 08-25-2024, 10:53 AM
  TESU MAN-4350 bigkahoona724 3 395 08-16-2024, 10:55 PM
  Which order should I take these Study.com Classes from easiest to most difficult? mohelena02 9 3,213 08-16-2024, 11:36 AM
  Study.com Exam, Accidentally Left Installer Open ExcellentPhoto 2 386 08-13-2024, 06:41 PM