Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TESU Liberal Arts Capstone mentor feedback
jsd Wrote:Congrats on the A and thanks for the feedback.

I start in June and I'm super nervous and dreading it. Having a hard time coming up with a topic, and I'm still not sure what type of original research is necessary as opposed to research review/synthesis, making it even harder to pick a topic.

If you end up posting your paper, or at least even your topic, I'd greatly appreciate it. Sample work is always very helpful, to give a good picture of what's expected.

Was just thinking of you and wondering how you were doing with planning your paper.
I will be registering for the capstone soon (either next semester or the one after) and am extremely nervous.
Do you at least have a rough idea of what you'd like to do it on?
I've been reading the comments of choose something you enjoy etc, but even that leaves me feeling blank :willynilly:

I start in June and I'm super nervous and dreading it. Having a hard time coming up with a topic, and I'm still not sure what type of original research is necessary as opposed to research review/synthesis, making it even harder to pick a topic.

If you end up posting your paper, or at least even your topic, I'd greatly appreciate it. Sample work is always very helpful, to give a good picture of what's expected.
I did no original research. I did cite as much original research as possible, but I conducted no polls or interviews or anything. I think some folks get confused because the textbook is aimed at writing a Phd dissertation or Master's thesis, which generally does require original research.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
kb4ns1 Wrote:I wanted to add to this discussion for the benefit of those who will be taking this course in the future.... my final grade for the course to 91, which I'll gladly take!... If I can think of anything else useful to add, I will. Also, when I get time, I'm going to try and add my assignments and final paper for others to refer to as an example. I had a real hard time finding examples other than the single other paper linked to earlier in this thread.
Hope this helps!

Congrats kb4ns1! What a great feeling to be DONE with the Capstone! Agree with jsd. Thanks for sharing and any other details you can think of later for those of us waiting (dreading) to go through it ourselves would be great.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
davewill Wrote:I did no original research. I did cite as much original research as possible, but I conducted no polls or interviews or anything. I think some folks get confused because the textbook is aimed at writing a Phd dissertation or Master's thesis, which generally does require original research.

This is really good to know, thank you Smile

GMT Wrote:Was just thinking of you and wondering how you were doing with planning your paper.
I will be registering for the capstone soon (either next semester or the one after) and am extremely nervous.
Do you at least have a rough idea of what you'd like to do it on?
I've been reading the comments of choose something you enjoy etc, but even that leaves me feeling blank :willynilly:

None of my rough ideas had led me anywhere, haha. At this point I'm trying to just not stress out about it, focus on other work, and hoping something miraculously strikes me Big Grin

Hopefully you have better luck! You have more time at least.

davewill Wrote:I did no original research. I did cite as much original research as possible, but I conducted no polls or interviews or anything. I think some folks get confused because the textbook is aimed at writing a Phd dissertation or Master's thesis, which generally does require original research.

This is a relief, and should make choosing a topic easier for me. Thanks for taking some weight off the situation Smile
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Oh, how important were the texts in this course? Would earlier editions likely be OK?

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

jsd Wrote:Oh, how important were the texts in this course? Would earlier editions likely be OK?
"Writing a Winning Thesis or Dissertation" I used a lot and there was assigned reading from it. "Keys for Writers" I never even cracked. You might manage with an earlier edition of the dissertation book, but it was only $20 used anyway.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thanks again Smile

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

As promised, I'm posting my Capstone paper on "Preventing Juvenile Delinquency and Reducing Recidivism Among Juvenile Offenders" (or something very similar to that) to hopefully help those taking the course in the future. The forum will only let me have five attachments in a post, so assignments 1 through 5 are attached to this post and the final paper is attached to the next post. Instead of attaching the original assignment as submitted, I decided to attach the assignment after I got it back from the professor. The black and white text is mine - anything in color is the professor.

Attached Files
.docx   Less than 1 minute ago">Capstone Assignment 1.docx (Size: 24.28 KB / Downloads: 60)
.docx   Less than 1 minute ago">Capstone Assignment 2.docx (Size: 26.55 KB / Downloads: 22)
.docx   Less than 1 minute ago">Capstone Assignment 3.docx (Size: 16.58 KB / Downloads: 15)
.docx   Less than 1 minute ago">Capstone Assignment 4.docx (Size: 72.54 KB / Downloads: 21)
.docx   Less than 1 minute ago">Capstone Assignment 5.docx (Size: 18.01 KB / Downloads: 18)
MBA - WGU - In Progress
BA Social Sciences - TESU - 2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes kb4ns1's post:
  • jsh1138
My final paper is attached to this post. Since it doesn't come back to you from the professor like all of the other assignments, I'll copy and paste what the professor said about the final paper: "Thank you for this fine final project. Your abstract is fine and this is well organized. Your background is comprehensive as is your definition of terms. The results of your study would benefit from more visuals. Chapter 5 needs more depth and discussion. Your annotated bibliography and list of resources is redundant. This is a very good final submission."

And don't ask me how in the h*ll I was supposed to do the annotated bibliography with the list of resources without being redundant. And honestly, I don't care now since I'm done! Smile

I hope this helps some folks out. I know I wish I would have had more examples to refer to!

Attached Files
.docx   Less than 1 minute ago">Capstone Final Paper.docx (Size: 183.94 KB / Downloads: 22)
MBA - WGU - In Progress
BA Social Sciences - TESU - 2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes kb4ns1's post:
  • jsh1138

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,546 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 4,078 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,868 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 4,120 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,983 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 3,184 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,643 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,903 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,613 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,834 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic