Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BA in International Studies? Experiences?
Lightbulb 
I may indeed go for the BSBA, but I'm curious about TESU BA in International Studies?

Does anybody have any experience with this program?

It requires 9 credits of "Regional Electives" and 9 credits of "Global Electives". However, the degree plan doesn't link to a list of approved courses and says to contact an advisor. After searching through their full list of electives, I'm wondering whether they offer the necessary courses (and which ones) and whether those courses are just speread out among other categories of electives.

Any other insight about this program is welcome too.

Thanks.
Working towards:
  • BS Business @ Excelsior
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
Courses of this type might work according to a fairly old post (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...al-Studies), but might need to be sourced from multiple sources and you would need to verify with an advisor:

Global Electives
Cultural Anthropology - Straighterline
Elements of Intercultural Communication - CSU-Global
International Economics
Global Environmental Change at TESU
Global Issues
World Literature
Nonwestern Literature
International Politics
Comparative Religions
World Religions DSST/SL/Study.com

Regional Electives
Geog of E. Europe and Russia
Latin American History
Intro to Chinese History & Culture
African History & Culture
American Foreign Relations
The Middle East
History of Russia
History of the Soviet Union (DSST)
Third World Studies
African Literature
Modern European Governments
Government and Politics of Asia
Eastern Religions
Western Religions

TESU course search option listings -
Global -
GLB-3010 Global Issues and Society (3 Credits)
HIS-3011 African History and Culture (3 Credits)
HIS-3100 The Middle East (3 Credits)
ENS-3140 Global Environmental Change (6 Credits) - available on Lawshelf (NCCRS)
POS-3150 International Relations I (3 Credits)
SOC-3220 Cultural Diversity in the US (3 Credits)
LIT-3310 African Encounters (3 Credits)
COM-3350 Intercultural Communication (3 Credits)
MAN-3720 International Management (3 Credits) - available on Study dot com (Business 308)
REL-4050 World Religions (3 Credits)
POS-4200 Conflict in Internt'l Relation (3 Credits)
SOS-4400 Terrorism (3 Credits)
LIT-4600 Nonwestern World Lit. (3 Credits) - available on Study dot com (English 301)
ECO-4900 International Economics (3 Credits)

Regional
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
(08-08-2024, 02:26 PM)jg_nuy Wrote: Courses of this type might work according to a fairly old post (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...al-Studies), but might need to be sourced from multiple sources and you would need to verify with an advisor:

Global Electives
Cultural Anthropology - Straighterline
Elements of Intercultural Communication - CSU-Global
International Economics
Global Environmental Change at TESU
Global Issues
World Literature
Nonwestern Literature
International Politics
Comparative Religions
World Religions DSST/SL/Study.com

Regional Electives
Geog of E. Europe and Russia
Latin American History
Intro to Chinese History & Culture
African History & Culture
American Foreign Relations
The Middle East
History of Russia
History of the Soviet Union (DSST)
Third World Studies
African Literature
Modern European Governments
Government and Politics of Asia
Eastern Religions
Western Religions

TESU course search option listings -
Global -
GLB-3010 Global Issues and Society (3 Credits)
ENS-3140 Global Environmental Change (6 Credits) - available on Lawshelf (NCCRS)
POS-3150 International Relations I (3 Credits)
COM-3350 Intercultural Communication (3 Credits)
MAN-3720 International Management (3 Credits) - available on Study dot com (Business 308)
REL-4050 World Religions (3 Credits)
POS-4200 Conflict in Internt'l Relation (3 Credits)
SOS-4400 Terrorism (3 Credits)
LIT-4600 Nonwestern World Lit. (3 Credits) - available on Study dot com (English 301)
ECO-4900 International Economics (3 Credits)

Regional

Thanks. Hmm... So they offer a smattering of courses that fit the genre, but seemingly not enough to focus on a region (unless Middle East of Africa) like B&M colleges with similar programs.

I appreciate you.
Working towards:
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
Not sure if you are going with tesu to try to get a cheap/fast degree, or because of its flexibility. If it's just because of the flexibility, and you don't necessarily need cheapest possible and fast, I have found that American public University and American military University (which are basically the same school and private, despite the name) have a good selection of upper level courses in a variety of subjects that you can take without enrolling as a degree seeking student. Cost per credit varies from around $250 to $350, depending on whether you are in the military etc etc.

I haven't actually taken any courses there though, so I can't attest to the quality of instruction. But I do think they would be a good place to find horses to fill out this degree.
(08-13-2024, 09:02 AM)wow Wrote: Not sure if you are going with tesu to try to get a cheap/fast degree, or because of its flexibility. If it's just because of the flexibility, and you don't necessarily need  cheapest possible and fast, I have found that American public University and American military University (which are basically the same school and private, despite the name) have a good selection of upper level courses in a variety of subjects that you can take without enrolling as a degree seeking student. Cost per credit varies from around $250 to $350, depending on whether you are in the military etc etc.

I haven't actually taken any courses there though, so I can't attest to the quality of instruction. But I do think they would be a good place to find horses to fill out this degree.

That's interesting to know. I hadn't seen them mentioned before in that context.

After doing more analyzing, I'm much closer to the Business at Excelsior. But if I pursue a Masters (still gotta finish the BS), I suppose those schools could still be viable options for transfer credit. Thanks for the info.
Working towards:
Whoops I meant courses not horses. Dang dictation!
(08-13-2024, 11:04 AM)wow Wrote: Whoops I meant courses not horses. Dang dictation!

I was going to mention that I didn't need horses, only courses, but didn't want to be the typing police.
Working towards:
(08-13-2024, 11:04 AM)wow Wrote: Whoops I meant courses not horses. Dang dictation!

Mr. Ed memes were coming. You stopped them just in time. 
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I initially enrolled for the International Studies major and flipped it to Liberal Studies.  Reason was I did not want to chase the specific upper level classes and Liberal Studies allowed me to study abroad for my upper level classses.  The TESU major made no difference to SNHU where I am working on a MA.
A number of TESU degrees assume you are transferring in a significant number of courses, so TESU itself doesn't necessarily have all the courses you need for them. A good example is the Bachelor's in Foreign Language, where most of the Area of Study is marked "TRSFR REQ". At first it seems silly, but if you were in the military and went to their language school, or you dropped out of a French Poetry program, you might have a lot of that covered.

We also know that there are ways to earn a significant number of foreign language credits by examination.

In the case of international studies, it's not as clear whether you can get all of the degree requirements at TESU, and of course, we rarely recommend someone do that anyway.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google Cloud Data Analytics- UL credits for TESU charfife 4 371 9 hours ago
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  2024 TESU Commencement - October 5th jch 1 306 09-12-2024, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Vin
  Where can I find course “BUS 210 Quantitative Skills for Business” outside TESU to lucillegyl 9 1,023 09-11-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  SDC and TESU American Gov't bigrivergroup 31 4,764 09-06-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: drp16
  BA Liberal Studies Capstone sashaeliot38@gmail.com 14 1,103 09-06-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Does TESU take Saylor Software Engineering as UL or LL? Jwheels27 6 355 09-01-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: azmusic
  Do WGU Credits Count as RA at TESU? latearrival 3 310 08-26-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Public Speaking for TESU Oral Communication Gen Ed wow 2 244 08-23-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: wow
  Find out how RA credit transfers to TESU natshar 40 44,342 08-20-2024, 11:35 AM
  Classes at TESU tcompy 1 239 08-19-2024, 03:06 PM