Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC advisors are confusing me...
Ok, I'm trying to finish planning out my remaining TECEPs for my BSBA:CIS residency, and I'm getting some rather confusing responses.

I wanted to take CIS-107 and BUS-311, as I already studied most of what applies to both and figured it would be an easier option to study for those than learning something completely new. I was under the impression that CIS-107 would basically replace the Intro to Computing exam on my record, and that BUS-311 would replace Business Ethics & Society. When they updated my plan, CIS-107 did what I expected, but they moved BE&S to the GenEd section and put BUS-311 where BE&S was. I'm about 80% that if I ran with it this way as opposed to knocking out another Ethics course I'd be kicked back when I apply for graduation, but wanted to confirm if anyone has had recent experiences like this?
Pursuing TESC BSBA CIS: ~100/120

CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology: April 2014

CLEP: Humanities, A&I Lit, SocSci & History, Intro Sociology, English Comp, Freshman College Comp, Principles of Management, History of the US I/II, Intro to Computing

DSST: InfoSys & Comp Apps, Intro to the Modern Middle East, Management Information Systems, Fundamentals of Cybersecurity, Human Resource Management, Principles of Supervision, Western Europe since 1945

AMU: Public Speaking, History of Explosive Ordnance Disposal, College Algebra

ALS (CCAF): Leadership/Management I, Managerial Communication I, Military Studies I

Sophia: Microeconomics

Straighterline: Accounting I/II

TECEP: English Comp I/II, Computer Concepts & Applications, Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics, Strategic Management (March 2017 Semester)

TESU OL: Python Programming (March 2017 Semester), Systems Analysis & Design I (March 2017 Semester)
All business ethics and business ethics and society courses duplicate. Business in society courses do not duplicate business ethics courses. This is what I've gathered from posts over the past year.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
hightecrebel,

Someone else recently confirmed with me that they used both TECEP Business in Society and the DSST Business Ethics and Society exams in their degree plan. Hopefully he will stop by and confirm here as well. You should be all good. If there was a problem the evaluations team (the folks who actually update the student records) would not have transcribed and added both to your account. The DSST would have been labelled dup and moved to the other courses section.

How was CIS-107 and COS-101 transcribed? Feel free to discuss via PM.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Ah, alright. I thought all Business Ethics duplicated the Business in Society TECEP as well. That actually means I'm slightly closer to finishing than I expected. And CIS-107 bumped COS-101 out of Computer Lit/Intro CIS into my unused credits.

CLEP: Humanities, A&I Lit, SocSci & History, Intro Sociology, English Comp, Freshman College Comp, Principles of Management, History of the US I/II, Intro to Computing

DSST: InfoSys & Comp Apps, Intro to the Modern Middle East, Management Information Systems, Fundamentals of Cybersecurity, Human Resource Management, Principles of Supervision, Western Europe since 1945

ALS (CCAF): Leadership/Management I, Managerial Communication I, Military Studies I

TECEP: English Comp I/II, Computer Concepts & Applications, Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics, Strategic Management (March 2017 Semester)

TESU OL: Python Programming (March 2017 Semester), Systems Analysis & Design I (March 2017 Semester)
hightecrebel Wrote:And CIS-107 bumped COS-101 out of Computer Lit/Intro CIS into my unused credits.

I apologize in advance for all the questions but I'm very curious to know how they are handling this from one student to the next. Did they classify COS-101 as a duplicate? Were all the other areas where it could have been used already filled? What TESC would do, at least when I was an enrolled student, is bump outside courses/tests for their own (especially within the area of study).

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:I apologize in advance for all the questions but I'm very curious to know how they are handling this from one student to the next. Did they classify COS-101 as a duplicate? Were all the other areas where it could have been used already filled? What TESC would do, at least when I was an enrolled student, is bump outside courses/tests for their own (especially within the area of study).

It's not showing as a duplicate, I just had nowhere else for it to go.

hightecrebel Wrote:It's not showing as a duplicate, I just had nowhere else for it to go.

As I expected; thank you for the confirmation. Students can still use both COS-101 and CIS-107. There was a rumor awhile back, someone stated using both was no longer allowed. Business students I've corresponded with never had an issue using both courses.

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
TESC sometimes uses strange course codes. My intro to computers course (from 4 yr college) transferred as CIS 102 which might be considered a duplicate to CIS 107 but I have never taken CIS 107 so I wouldn't know.
TESC AAS CJ, December 2015
Working on TESU BA CJ/PSY March 2018

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
DSST: Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Substance Abuse
PF: Principles of Loss Prevention, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law
Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
The Institutes: Ethics Course
AP: American History
FHSU: Justice in the Information Age
NOCTI Business Solutions: Protective Services, Security and Protective Services
Schmoop: Drugs in Lit
swalke321 Wrote:TESC sometimes uses strange course codes. My intro to computers course (from 4 yr college) transferred as CIS 102 which might be considered a duplicate to CIS 107 but I have never taken CIS 107 so I wouldn't know.

The discussion is regarding CIS and COS which is two different areas of study. They might duplicate CIS-102 with CIS-107 as they are most definitely quite similar. Although they give credit for MAT 102/103 and MAT-105. You just never know how these things will land until someone has them evaluated.

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 6,475 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,621 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,408 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 4,285 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 11,517 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,960 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,979 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 13,900 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 7,364 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 2,162 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77