Only if I knew ahead of time
26.67%
16 26.67%
Total 60 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com contributing to TESU GPA??
(05-03-2018, 02:41 PM)icampy Wrote: Not sure what will happen, but hopefully they give advance notice IF they do decide to do this.

You would have a LOT of angry/lost customers otherwise.

Wouldn't bother me... I wouldn't mind adding a bunch of A's to my transcript to bump my GPA.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
It won't be the past courses, probably just the future ones....but I sure wouldn't mind it if I knew about it ahead of time. I would love to add 1 final course to my transcript for a nice GPA.

Keep in mind, this might be much ado about nothing.....

But it might not.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

(05-03-2018, 02:52 PM)icampy Wrote: It won't be the past courses, probably just the future ones....but I sure wouldn't mind it if I knew about it ahead of time. I would love to add 1 final course to my transcript for a nice GPA.

I'm not sure why you'd assume it wouldn't affect past courses. If they're talking about evaluating Study.com transcripts for grades, then it would most likely apply to all courses listed on a transcript. If you graduate before this goes into effect, then it wouldn't apply, of course.

Assuming the transcripts that Study.com sends to TESU look similar to those sent from Straighterline, then they already include your final score on each course. This is currently ignored, but if they start using it to calculate GPA then I would imagine that this would most likely kick in at graduation time when your transcripts are audited and final GPA is tallied.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(05-03-2018, 03:08 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 02:52 PM)icampy Wrote: It won't be the past courses, probably just the future ones....but I sure wouldn't mind it if I knew about it ahead of time. I would love to add 1 final course to my transcript for a nice GPA.

I'm not sure why you'd assume it wouldn't affect past courses. If they're talking about evaluating Study.com transcripts for grades, then it would most likely apply to all courses listed on a transcript. If you graduate before this goes into effect, then it wouldn't apply, of course.

Assuming the transcripts that Study.com sends to TESU look similar to those sent from Straighterline, then they already include your final score on each course. This is currently ignored, but if they start using it to calculate GPA then I would imagine that this would most likely kick in at graduation time when your transcripts are audited and final GPA is tallied.

I doubt they would apply this retroactively, that makes no sense at all.  Giving me a grade when I KNOW it is not the same as giving me a grade when I had no idea about it.

I'm pretty sure if this went into effect, it would be for courses started after a certain date, and might even be optional.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-03-2018, 12:47 PM)davewill Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 11:47 AM)MNomadic Wrote: ... Especially since lots of people(myself included) really half ass the essays or skip them to just meet the minimum requirements for passing. ...

That doesn't actually sound like a positive if the goal is education.

Agreed. Grades are there as an incentive to encourage people to learn the material and put in proper effort to maximize their educational experience, IMO. Without that incentive, people will just put in minimum effort to get the credit without really focusing on mastering the material.

Of course, you can still graduate with a 2.0 GPA. This won't affect anything for people who are on the C's get degree's program.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
So, here's the REALLY interesting part of this discussion is IF the studycom courses are integrated as part of a TESU GPA, then it stands to reason that the studycom courses *may* in some way *become* TESU courses on the transcript per their current policy.

This is interesting to consider since I don't think TESU is doing this with any other program. Currently, they are pretty clear about transfer credit not being part of GPA, so somehow someway that would have to be rewritten if these were to remain as transfer courses. Hummm.

You guys may remember that COSC does this for direct transfer credit, so it's not impossible to think about, but COSC still allows the option of sending an ACE transcript, which removes the grade and inputs pass/fail.
(05-03-2018, 03:55 PM)cookderosa Wrote: You guys may remember that COSC does this for direct transfer credit, so it's not impossible to think about, but COSC still allows the option of sending an ACE transcript, which removes the grade and inputs pass/fail.

When I first started joined this forum seeking a degree back in 2011, I signed up with COSC specifically because I could get a GPA through direct transfer credit via Straighterline, etc. While I'm less concerned about that now, I still put in extra effort to master the material in the courses I take. But that is mostly because I love to learn, and like seeing A's. Personally, I'd be thrilled to be able to get grades for my effort.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • teacher2
(05-03-2018, 04:09 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 03:55 PM)cookderosa Wrote: You guys may remember that COSC does this for direct transfer credit, so it's not impossible to think about, but COSC still allows the option of sending an ACE transcript, which removes the grade and inputs pass/fail.

When I first started joined this forum seeking a degree back in 2011, I signed up with COSC specifically because I could get a GPA through direct transfer credit via Straighterline, etc. While I'm less concerned about that now, I still put in extra effort to master the material in the courses I take. But that is mostly because I love to learn, and like seeing A's. Personally, I'd be thrilled to be able to get grades for my effort.

As I said, if this was the case, then I would want to know ahead of time, not after the fact.  That's completely unfair.  It's like telling my kids, "Oh, I forgot to mention, you only get your allowance if you took out the garbage 6 weeks ago - sorry you didn't know that was the plan, but there it is."  That would be silly.

I'm fine with people doing the minimum because they know they're not graded (how do you know they're NOT maximizing their learning but just aren't great test-takers??).  I'm fine with someone who tries for 100% in every class.  As long as I'm told ahead of time what the rules are, I can play the game to my advantage.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • a2jc4life, Muldoon, sarg123, teacher2
Yup, pass/fail is completely different than scored. You need to know that going in, whether it's SL, CLEP, SDC, etc...people know they have to make a C and get the same pass as someone who didn't miss a single question.

I'm not worried about my score on the NREMT exam in a few months, I just want to pass (and know the material well). If you meet the required competence in the class/exam, then you passed, move on to the next one. In fields other than "academia", what matters is passing. CSP, PMP, CISSP, exams in the real world, you don't say "I passed the ____ and made ___", you say "I passed the ____", which is the important part.

But, I believe I would have an A average in SDC, so I'm not overly worried. But I would have striven for near 100 on everything (and my upcoming SDC courses to finish off my degree might be different, I might not do so well on a couple of those exams) if they had been graded and counted for GPA. Either way, going to get these last few classes out of the way ASAP.

It would be complete and total CRAP if they did it retroactively, instead of announcing it starting at a future date. They would lose a crapload of business.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

I would like it to, but many people here make a sport of trying to do as poorly as possible and still pass so they can zip through the courses and it won't be popular with that crowd
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • Merlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Limited Time 68% Off College Saver at Study.com portals 40 7,156 5 hours ago
Last Post: promise22
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 172 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Lightbulb Study.com 5 Exam Limit per Month Clarification Jaymes 2 204 09-13-2024, 08:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,683 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Study.com non-proctored final exams Tsanchez123 6 599 08-30-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: wow
  Study.com renewal discount Tsanchez123 1 229 08-25-2024, 10:53 AM
  TESU MAN-4350 bigkahoona724 3 389 08-16-2024, 10:55 PM
  Which order should I take these Study.com Classes from easiest to most difficult? mohelena02 9 3,195 08-16-2024, 11:36 AM
  Study.com Exam, Accidentally Left Installer Open ExcellentPhoto 2 384 08-13-2024, 06:41 PM
  Study.com—is this course NCCRS or ACE? wow 15 710 08-12-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP