Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Student Loan Debt
This is an article about student loan debt.  I don't know that it contains any new ideas in it but it seems to emphasize the wisdom of thinking ahead and imagining how you're going to come up with all that money once it's time to start making payments.
Here's What I Wish Someone Told Me Before I Racked Up $180,000 In Student Loan Debt | HuffPost null
Oh, in regards to student loan debt, I just ran across an article... $415 million debt cancelled!
Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/studen...d=msedgntp
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
What really needs to be revisited is the interest rates. They're sky high. Far more than a mortgage or car loan. I had some that are at 9% and these are all from the US Department of Education. None are private loans. They've even consolidated. The interest alone is more than my loans originally were. The interest is brutal.
(02-17-2022, 01:12 PM)ss20ts Wrote: What really needs to be revisited is the interest rates. They're sky high. Far more than a mortgage or car loan. I had some that are at 9% and these are all from the US Department of Education. None are private loans. They've even beeb consolidated. The interest alone is more than my loans originally were. The interest is brutal.

We can debate the exact number, but I think student loans should have a flat rate of 3%, which sounds fair.

The govt can issue 30yr bonds at low rates, so they should guarantee low interest on student debt at least for the next 20 years.

I would force all schools including Harvard to accept at a minimum of 30 AP/CLEP/DSST credits if they want to offer student loans.  Harvard does currently accept some AP/CLEP credit though not quite 30 credits. 

Getting college down to 3 years instead of 4 is a start to reducing the cost.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Kal Di, ss20ts
Here's another summary that focuses primarily on the DeVry angle
Education Department says DeVry University defrauded students : NPR
(02-17-2022, 01:12 PM)ss20ts Wrote: What really needs to be revisited is the interest rates. They're sky high. Far more than a mortgage or car loan. I had some that are at 9% and these are all from the US Department of Education. None are private loans. They've even consolidated. The interest alone is more than my loans originally were. The interest is brutal.

This. Interest rates never seem to take center stage in the student debt debate. It is the interest rates that get people. Usury really.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cardiacclep's post:
  • ss20ts
(03-03-2022, 04:06 PM)cardiacclep Wrote:
(02-17-2022, 01:12 PM)ss20ts Wrote: What really needs to be revisited is the interest rates. They're sky high. Far more than a mortgage or car loan. I had some that are at 9% and these are all from the US Department of Education. None are private loans. They've even consolidated. The interest alone is more than my loans originally were. The interest is brutal.

This. Interest rates never seem to take center stage in the student debt debate. It is the interest rates that get people. Usury really.

I wonder why no one talks about the interest rate. Few people graduate in 4 years. By the time you complete 6 years which is pretty common your interest on an unsub loan is already compounded and high. It just keeps growing until it's paid off 100%.
Many college grads seem to have trouble finding a job as well (besides the jobs they could have gotten before going to college). I am reading that some try for over 6 months or a year and then accept something sub-par.

[-] The following 2 users Like Ideas's post:
  • collegecareerstudent, Xyxyfendz
I'm very afraid that I won't find the job I can juggle with studies and this aspect stops me from applying to college. I know nothing about the workload, I can't assess the amount of time necessary for doing my assignments, etc. It makes me disappointed.
(03-12-2022, 08:08 PM)Xyxyfendz Wrote: I'm very afraid that I won't find the job I can juggle with studies and this aspect stops me from applying to college. I know nothing about the workload, I can't assess the amount of time necessary for doing my assignments, etc. It makes me disappointed.

At least for the schools we recommend on this forum, the workload is relatively light and/or can be adjusted to fit your schedule.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • LevelUP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread ashkir 47 5,371 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 921 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 695 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Student Loan Forgiveness Application is Live ashkir 0 5,384 10-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  National Transfer Student Week Alpha 0 529 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Student discounts (valid for multiple countries) rachel83az 3 868 07-29-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Student Loan Forgiveness dodek101 31 4,494 07-29-2022, 01:08 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 889 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  $347,000 in student debt who can't land a job... bjcheung77 12 1,930 07-18-2022, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha
Rainbow Compiled List of Student Discounts jsd 0 674 05-11-2022, 09:57 AM
Last Post: jsd