Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline or CLEP?
askmo24 Wrote:Have you taken Intro to Philosophy through SL?

I haven't taken it either. However, I'm pretty sure this would be one of the easier courses.

I actually like philosophy. I've even read Descarte's Meditations on First Philosophy for my own personal enjoyment. I thought about taking the course, but since I didn't know how TESC would count the course, I chose some other ones instead.
@Daithi how long did it take you to finish your courses? I am planning on starting them when my books arrive. I have one already and am waiting for a second. I am doing intro to religions and psychology.
Aleks Beginning Algebra,intermediate algebra,college algebra,trigonometry,and working on statistics at the moment.

FEMA: 19 down so far!

Clep A and I lit.54
Intro to religions and psychology were two of the courses I took as well --- they both took me a week each. Actually, pretty much all the StraighterLine courses I did took about a week.
Daithi Wrote:I haven't taken it either. However, I'm pretty sure this would be one of the easier courses.

I actually like philosophy. I've even read Descarte's Meditations on First Philosophy for my own personal enjoyment. I thought about taking the course, but since I didn't know how TESC would count the course, I chose some other ones instead.

I plan to take it in a few weeks. Wish me luck. I hope I finish it in under 4 weeks.
Thanks for the time frame. How much studying were you doing a day? I work full time, so I have to kind of balance work and education.
Aleks Beginning Algebra,intermediate algebra,college algebra,trigonometry,and working on statistics at the moment.

FEMA: 19 down so far!

Clep A and I lit.54
Question: While i am aware that the textbooks are necessary. Are there any courses with SL where the course material alone provided by SL will suffice to pass?

It takes me 2-3 weeks to receive books.

I have the ACC 101 and 102 books on the way. I managed to download the exact edition of macroecon text and i also have a microecon text but the text is two editions newer than the suggested text (will that cause difficulty). I imagine i will attempt to do all 4 one after the other in one month.
I didn't use the SL material at all. I used the textbook exclusively. It is basically just a combination of reading the text and looking up the answers in the textbook quickly. Reading the material might save you some time during a graded quiz on a few questions because you either remember the answer or know where to look to find the answer. Honestly, I think there are some courses you could pass without even reading the book as long as you know how to pick out keywords from the question and then use the index to quickly find the answer.

I'd usually spend a couple hours reading on most evenings (I work too) and then I'd spend about an hour on a quiz every other day or so. On weekends I'd probably spend 8 hours a day (sometimes a little more and sometimes less). There were also some days I didn't do any work at all.

NOTE 1: I would not try this method with courses like ACC 101 & 102.

NOTE 2: Buy used textbooks from Amazon. They only cost about $5 and are delivered within about a week.
Do you know if "Intro to Religion" is Upper level at TESC? Wondering if "Intro" SL transcribes the same as "World Rel" DSST.
clep3705 Wrote:Another question you could ask is why some people have never even considered a Straighterline course. CLEP is accepted at far more schools than Straighterline is. Life sometimes takes unexpected turns that invalidate earlier plans. Some of us prefer CLEP because of its greater acceptance that could matter after that unexpected twist of fate.

This is a great point. In fact, I used to have a list of ACE colleges, however, as my oldest started this path, I've found that an ACE college doesn't mean that they take "all" ACE credit. In fact, my local CC is listed as an ACE college, but there is one single carpentry program that has ACE evaluation that they accept- and only for those in the carpentry program. ACE is not nearly as accepted, and if you're CERTAIN that you're headed to the big 3, you really have your pick. Of course, if you're unsure, then you should choose CLEP. My son has 21 ACE credits that he won't get to use.
Straighterline Research Wrote:Are you interested in taking a free course from Straighterline? I am part of the Straighterline Market Research team and we are interested in speaking to students like you for 30 minutes. In exchange for your time, you will be provided a voucher for a free course through Straighterline- a $49 value. Interviews will take place over the phone between 10 am and 4 pm EST on 10/23, 10/24 or 10/25. Please fill out the survey below to sign up.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/B9SZWMD

We look forward to speaking with you!

Free course $49 value? Is the subscription fee free also? If not, you're being deceptive.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,878 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 690 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 1,005 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 924 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,224 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,070 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,297 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,839 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 1,024 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM
  Straighterline Pharmacology 103 tyson14136 16 4,086 07-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: eLearner