Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline for English Composition?
Sorry, I am taking Eng I - I took Eng II at CC but TESC will not articulate, so I'm backtracking! I signed up for class last Friday, but did not get access until late Sunday. I took all the quizzes/tests first. I jotted all information down for writing assignments 5-9 & 12 which totals 17 pages + 1 paragraph. Based on the topic choice, I think I can get most of the writing down (although I'm struggling with how to start my descriptive paragraph as I type!) My own time line is based on the fact that I am beginning 3 guided study courses @ TESC 8/1. These will be my first classes at TESC and I am not sure how they will be. Realistically, I still have 3 weeks to write papers, but I also work full time.
Next Goal - MS in Pharmacy, Major Pharmaceutical Sciences, concentration Forensic Science via University of Florida
BSAST Health Services Technology 2012
AA General Ed 2012
AAS Medical Laboratory Technician HCC 1994

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting
Earned 127, currently enrolled at TESC working on last 6 credits in order to graduate by 6/2012!!
hkhart Wrote:Sorry, I am taking Eng I - I took Eng II at CC but TESC will not articulate, so I'm backtracking! I signed up for class last Friday, but did not get access until late Sunday. I took all the quizzes/tests first. I jotted all information down for writing assignments 5-9 & 12 which totals 17 pages + 1 paragraph. Based on the topic choice, I think I can get most of the writing down (although I'm struggling with how to start my descriptive paragraph as I type!) My own time line is based on the fact that I am beginning 3 guided study courses @ TESC 8/1. These will be my first classes at TESC and I am not sure how they will be. Realistically, I still have 3 weeks to write papers, but I also work full time.

That is helpful.

I've just started the essays section. These essays are taking longer than I would like. I'm impressed with CagedFatKid's ability to knock them all out in 3 hours. I'm drawing a blank on my second essay, lol.

For the multiple question test, I rushed into them ended up with mediocre scores. It seems that I may need the Research Paper points (section 12). If I skip the Research Paper, the best I can get is a 93% (279 out of 300).
[SIZE="1"]
Goal: EC's BSLS
DSST: Intro Computing, MIS, Info Systems & Apps, Intro to Business, Technical Writing, Principals of Supervision
SL: Macroeconomics, College Alg.

[/SIZE]
I rushed through the quizzes as well. If I score 100% on each of the 6 papers - not expecting to - I could squeeze an A out. However, since I am taking this to fill empty requirements and needing to get it done ASAP, I'd settle for 70%. The worst case scenario would be scoring 10/21, which I think I can easily write enough to get that done!

As for the essays, I've actually been brainstorming my ideas for each one, opened in word doc and other than the descriptive paragraph have not submitted anything further. I was planning on submitting all at once (skipping the draft submission), but I think now it would be better to write them and submit day by day, hoping for a quick turnaround on earlier submissions to see how much more effort/revising I need to do. I wonder how the billing works, if you submit everything 1 wk prior to 28 day cycle and then cancel. Would they still issue grade?
Next Goal - MS in Pharmacy, Major Pharmaceutical Sciences, concentration Forensic Science via University of Florida
AA General Ed 2012

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting
Earned 127, currently enrolled at TESC working on last 6 credits in order to graduate by 6/2012!!
Are you guys using the online materials to learn each subject area or are you using the recommended text? If you are using the book, did you read through it first and then start on the class or did you pace the classwork assignments with the reading?

I've ordered the textbook, but it will take a week or two to arrive. I've heard that you don't usually need the text for SL classes, but it makes things a lot easier (especially the tests) if you have it, so I figured I'd hold off on starting the class until I have the book.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
For the English Comp I, I did not buy the book. I still have an ancient book from Eng Comp II for reference, but really, I felt the online information was enough to take the quizzes/tests.
AA General Ed 2012

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting
It looks like my textbook arrived a week early! So, I may start on the SL composition class sometime this week.

I've been prepping for the A&I Lit CLEP to take this week, but so far I'm not doing so well (51/REA) in the practice tests (I mainly do technical or casual reading, and I am not a big fan of poetry or middle English, plus I barely remember any of the literary devices), so given I need more prep time anyway, I may just wait until I finish the composition class to get back to it. Wink
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
Merlin, check out what others were doing on the pre-tests prior to taking the A&I. My recollection of this site is that most folks think A&I is a fairly easy test. It was for me, and I didn't study (much) or take any of the pre-tests. Good luck.
LaterBloomer Wrote:Merlin, check out what others were doing on the pre-tests prior to taking the A&I. My recollection of this site is that most folks think A&I is a fairly easy test. It was for me, and I didn't study (much) or take any of the pre-tests. Good luck.
Yeah, I've read through all the test specific feedback as well as many of the other threads, and it pretty much comes down to it being easy if you're a literature or poetry buff, and it gets progressively harder the further you are removed from there.

I'm pretty much on the opposite side of that spectrum, so when I read the more esoteric verses, I may understand the words, but I don't always get the point of what they are trying to say right off. If I re-read several times I eventually get it, but that eats way too much time up, and it seems like most of the verses I see on the practice tests fall into the indecipherable category.

That and while I can recognize some of the literary devices, I don't remember what they are called or how to distinguish the sub types from each other, so I just really need to study for a week or two to get that down. Not sure if there is anything I can do to help with my comprehension of the poetry and less modern material in the short term other than read more of it, but I don't need to ace it, just pass!

Of course from what I read the REA tests are much more difficult than the live tests too, so getting a 51 on there may be enough to earn a pass for the CLEP, but I'm not willing to take that chance. Smile

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,954 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 1,025 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  77 Online credit courses in English from Germany - from €16/ECTS FrHaseKopf 19 8,344 04-22-2023, 01:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 959 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 989 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam
  Saudi Scholarship: No funding for English studies bjcheung77 2 935 12-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,339 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  English 2 Jennr2z 2 764 05-28-2022, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  English degrees besides TESU, UMPI? Ideas 1 1,010 12-13-2021, 10:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English Language Teaching through to 2023 bjcheung77 0 695 12-05-2021, 01:18 AM