Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline eBook problem
I just purchased my first SL course along with the eBook and for some reason the search function is not working. I'm viewing the book in SL's bookshelf, could this be the problem?
Btaylor89 Wrote:I just purchased my first SL course along with the eBook and for some reason the search function is not working. I'm viewing the book in SL's bookshelf, could this be the problem?

You can only open the book from the bookshelf (can't download it to your computer), and it should work. Try using it in another browser.
Nixi Wrote:You can only open the book from the bookshelf (can't download it to your computer), and it should work. Try using it in another browser.

There is a bookshelf app you can download and run locally (vitalsource bookshelf) which works 100x better than the web interface. If you download the older version (the one for Windows XP), you can also install a 3rd party plugin that will let you save the books as normal PDFs. I've done this with all of the books I've bought for SL courses, since that software is so terrible.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
alzee Wrote:There is a bookshelf app you can download and run locally (vitalsource bookshelf) which works 100x better than the web interface. If you download the older version (the one for Windows XP), you can also install a 3rd party plugin that will let you save the books as normal PDFs. I've done this with all of the books I've bought for SL courses, since that software is so terrible.

Wow, I was unaware of that. Only took one course so far with an eBook from SL, but I'll be taking more courses with eBooks in the VitalSource bookshelf soon. Thanks!

Just found the download link, for anyone wondering you can download the VitalSource bookshelf from here
https://support.vitalsource.com/hc/en-us...nload-Page
Thanks so much for this! Will be downloading it now.
want to remember this for next SL classes. Thanks
SL Business Ethics
SL intro to Business
SL Business Law
SL intro to world religion
SL Accounting 1
PF Strategic management
SL organizational behavior
SL Principles of management
SL macroeconomics
SL microeconomics
SL accounting 2
SL intro bus statistics
PF Corporate Finance
PF International Business
PF Marketing
Alek's College Algebra
SL English comp 2
PF market research
PF retail management
PF HR management
SL Business Communication
S.C Principles of Finance
That is all of my requirements completed.!!

BSBA Thomas Edison State University 2016
What's the best way to go about completing a SL course? Wondering if I should read each chapter and take notes, or just attempt the quizzes/exams and use the search function to find the answers.
Btaylor89 Wrote:What's the best way to go about completing a SL course? Wondering if I should read each chapter and take notes, or just attempt the quizzes/exams and use the search function to find the answers.

For me, it's depended on the course. For the US History courses, I've just gone with what I know myself and searching the text, but history courses are "easy" like that when they're open book and lower level.

On the accounting courses, I skimmed/read through the material first so I knew how the text was structured so I'd know *how* to search/find things, and if I did terribly on the first exam, I'd buckle down and make some effort to study and take notes. Being able to retake the first exam in a course as many times as you like is a goodsend, I think I took the managerial accounting one 5-6 times.

The sociology and psychology courses were not open book or even open note on the proctored finals. For these, I tackled a little more seriously since I wanted to ensure that I wouldn't tank the final so bad that I didn't pass the course.

This system has worked great for me, personally. I've passed every course I've taken, most of them with a 90 or better -- not that grades really matter with SL.

On the Managerial Accounting final, my brain got so numb by the 10th or so question that if I didn't instantly know the answer and couldn't find it in the book, I just picked "C". I didn't even bother doing ANY of the math problems. I got a 48% on the final -- an atrocious score, but still much better than random chance would predict, and I only needed to score above 5% to pass the course overall. Knowing that going in takes off loads of stress on the mind numbing courses.
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
I am currently working on Managerial Accounting and I am reading and skimming the pages after pages. The topic I am familiar with, I feel skimming but otherwise I read it minus the tedious examples. So far it has been fun but what sucks is that the final is worth 300 points so there is no way you going to go into final with over 700 like Acct I and II so you have to buckle down to get at least 100 points if not 50. My strategy is to work hard to get the maximum possible score on quizzes leading up to final for all SL classes.
TESU - BSBA General Management (Completed !!)

WGU MBA - Journey Started for 2016 -2017 .
C200 Managing Organizations and Leading People (Complete 11/7/16)
C202 Managing Human Capital
C211 Global Economics for Managers
Al2010x Wrote:My strategy is to work hard to get the maximum possible score on quizzes leading up to final for all SL classes.

This has been mine as well.

Usually it means that you could just submit the final without answering anything and still pass, if you've got a good score up to that point (95% or better) and the final is 250 instead of 300. For the 300 point finals, you can still do extremely poorly and still pass if your grade up until then is good. 95% pre-final (665/700) you only need 35/300 on the final (12%), which is nearly impossible unless you're actively trying to fail.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Generative AI is a big problem in college campuses LevelUP 12 1,601 01-02-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  eBook Bundles pluggingalong 2 642 10-31-2023, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 1,005 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 922 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,297 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 1,022 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM
  Straighterline Pharmacology 103 tyson14136 16 4,084 07-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,449 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
Exclamation BS/BA Degree plan using ACE/Straighterline Credits breezy55 1 1,579 11-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Straighterline Business Statistics Tips Bunii 3 2,965 07-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Bunii