Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Course Questions
Hi there,

I have just started the straighterline courses and I have noticed that the exams for each course are not relevant to the information taught within the course. I am taking the business communication course right now. The course was talking about identifying your audience and their personality and the exam was questioning me on verbs and idioms.... there's not connection there what-so-ever.

My question is: is this what the straighterline exams all look like? If so, I'm just going to go the CLEP and DSST route.

Thanks,

- Matt
Did you get the textbook for the course?

Often times, when I went through SL, I'd see the exact phrases taken out of the book and asked. The book would read, "X always occurs when Y juggled pineapples while yodeling" and the question would be "What happens when Y juggles pineapples while yodeling?".

On that note, you can get a used previous edition (which works just fine) for under $5 on Amazon.

Sometimes SL will throw curveballs at you and you're like "WHAT?!" :ack: I never took Business Communications, so I'm not quite sure. The Accounting I and II weren't bad, and Macro and Micro just had a heck of a lot of tests (20+ exams, w/ 30 or 40 questions per exam).
Yup, i have often come up against topics outside of the online course content - you do need the textbook as well.
Welcome to the wonderful world of SL! Smile

Love em or hate em...stick with it cause you need the credits!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Publius Wrote:Did you get the textbook for the course?

Often times, when I went through SL, I'd see the exact phrases taken out of the book and asked. The book would read, "X always occurs when Y juggled pineapples while yodeling" and the question would be "What happens when Y juggles pineapples while yodeling?".

On that note, you can get a used previous edition (which works just fine) for under $5 on Amazon.

Sometimes SL will throw curveballs at you and you're like "WHAT?!" :ack: I never took Business Communications, so I'm not quite sure. The Accounting I and II weren't bad, and Macro and Micro just had a heck of a lot of tests (20+ exams, w/ 30 or 40 questions per exam).

I didnt take this class but I did take Sociology. first test I took based on the presenetations/lessons...failed miserably. I rent the E-Book on amazon and then passed with flying colors. ALOT of the questions are right out of the text book. So it will be worth it to get it.
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems - ~TBD~ (currently working toward)
TESC AAS Applied Computer Studies - September 2013 (finished in June 2013)

GENERAL EDUCATION
SL English Comp I/II ~Intro to Sociology
ALEKS ~Intermedia Algebra~College Algebra
CLEP Spanish 12cr (72)

COMPUTER career track
B&M 9 credits (computer classes)
CompTIA N+ A+ 4cr (core)
TEEX Cyber security courses 4cr (core)
DSST Intro to Computers 3cr (435)
PENN FOSTER Computer Applications 3cr

BUSINESS
TEEX Cyber security course 2cr (MAN-299)

ELECTIVES
FEMA 18cr
(PDS certificate)
I took business communication with them and I found it better to read the next chapter of the book before taking the test. i.e. before you take the chapter 1 test read chapter 1 and 2, then for the chapter 2 test you will already have read chapter 2, so just read chapter 3. This is a bit simplistic since I think the tests were over more than one chapter, but you get the idea - just stay one section of the book ahead. I found this worked the best for me.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
AlbaTiVo Wrote:I took business communication with them and I found it better to read the next chapter of the book before taking the test. i.e. before you take the chapter 1 test read chapter 1 and 2, then for the chapter 2 test you will already have read chapter 2, so just read chapter 3. This is a bit simplistic since I think the tests were over more than one chapter, but you get the idea - just stay one section of the book ahead. I found this worked the best for me.
I also noticed that the quiz material often includes questions on material not covered until the the NEXT unit in the course. So if you're taking the quiz for unit 1, make sure you have already completed the readings for unit 2.

And as was mentioned above, make sure you get the textbook for the course, as many of the questions are verbatim from the examples in the textbook. Plus, being an open-book quiz, you can use that as a reference if you forget something.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I heard Straigherline offers ebooks for some of its courses. Where can you find which courses have ebooks and how do you get the ebook?
I've found that the textbook is the key to these courses. I don't even bother with the online material. However, I think the edition of the textbook used to make the quizzes doesn't always match the edition they recommend for you to use. This was especially so in the Sociology course I took. I remember a couple questions that asked something like "In a study from 2001, Gardner and Jones found how many single mothers were part of the workforce?" but the text provided figures for 2004 and not 2001. This also explains why sometimes I'd get questions from a different chapter than I was expecting. I actually think you're better off with an older version of the textbook.

Ultimately, I found I didn't even need to read the textbook. The entire 2nd half of Sociology I just read the 2 or 3 page chapter summaries and then took the quizzes, including the final. Once you learn to use the index and skim it isn't too hard to pass the quizzes. Although, I don't think I'd try that with a course like Chemistry, Calculus, Physics, etc.
Thanks for the feedback you have clarified some things for me. I plan on starting straighterline soon. Smile
TESC BSBA
1A – Eng 101 & 102 SL – Business Communications SL – College Algebra ALEKS 73% - Intermediate Algebra ALEKS 74%
1B – Macro SL – Micro SL – Business Stats 80% ALEKS – Substance Abuse DSST 450 – Environment and Humanity DSST 55 – Intro to Psychology CLEP 56
1C – Intro to Religion DSST 445 – Ethics in America DSST 443 – Sociology CLEP 58
1D – Pre-Cal ALEKS 76% - Tech Writing DSST – I need to choose 4 more
2A – Business Law CLEP 57 – Intro to Comp DSST 443 – Principles of Financial Accounting SL – Managerial Accounting SL – Marketing CLEP – Principles of Finance DSST – Business Ethics and Society DSST – Strategic Management Capstone – Management CLEP 50
2B – Money and Banking DSST - Marketing need to choose one – MIS DSST 415 – Organizational Behavior DSST – Human Resource Management DSST
2C – Principles of Supervision DSST – Intro to Business CLEP – Business Law 2 DSST 49
2D – Personal Finance DSST 446 – HTYH DSST 435

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are discussion questions becoming irrelevant with AI?? Vle045 26 1,406 08-19-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 14 2,769 05-08-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 522 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 1,005 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 924 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 963 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,788 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 3,553 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 940 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,297 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77