Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Guard or State Reserve: Another Way to Get Tuition Reimbursement
I'm posting this in this forum because I figured that most civilians don't read the military sub-forum on a regular basis. If the mods want to move it, I don't mind.

Today, I just learned about the Texas State Guard and that almost every state has a state guard or state reserve. This is different from the national guard or U.S. reserves. I believe there are some rare exceptions where these forces can be federalized, but state guards are solely under the power of the state governments. Because I only researched the Texas State Guard, I can only tell you how things work here.

There are some basic standards for joining, but they aren't as high as the ones for the federal forces. Certain types of criminals can't join, height and weight standards have to be met (they're more lenient than federal standards), and you have to be between the ages of 18 and 70. There are also some physical fitness standards, but nothing difficult. If you have never served in the armed forces, you are required to attend Basic Orientation Training over several weekends. It has some minor PT, but it mostly goes over dress codes and military traditions/courtesies. After Basic Orientation Training, you have to drill one weekend day a month and attend what I believe is a week-long training once a year. State guard members have the same protections as other military members when it comes to job protection.

State guard members are volunteers who are not paid unless they are on State Active Duty. Texas also pays for some required training. They are not a combat force; they mostly respond to natural and public health disasters. Texas pays $121 a day during SAD regardless of rank plus travel reimbursement and a daily meal allowance. TXSG members can go to officer candidate school if they meet the requirements. Some states do offer firearms training; Texas is one of them. Texas has a maritime, air, medical, and army branch for its state guard.

So, on to the good stuff. I don't know if other states do this, but Texas State Guard members qualify for tuition reimbursement. Usually, you can receive reimbursement for up to 12 credit hours and $4500 per semester. During times of reduced funding (we're in it now), you only get reimbursed for up to 6 credit hours and $2250. But, that's still not bad. Texas State Guard members can also receive military discounts at businesses that offer them. I even heard that you can use your state guard ID to get on federal bases and shop at the Commissary and PX. Some other benefits are free hunting/fishing and concealed handgun licenses, waiver for toll road fees, and military leave pay if you work for the state, but you do have to pay for your own uniforms.

Edit: In Texas, only in-state, non-profit colleges and universities qualify for tuition reimbursement.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
This is really variable depending on what state you're in - since they're state forces, they're state funded, and what gets funded is all dependent on your individual state's budget. Also, only about 23 states even have state defense forces to start with.

In my state, the Alaska State Defense Force gets no tuition assistance, no pay unless activated by the state, and has had trouble in recent years getting any funding at all for much of anything (most of them have to pay out of pocket for their own uniforms and other equipment, even). Our former Governor disarmed them, and the recently ousted National Guard Adjutant General didn't have any interest in supporting or expanding their force.

Alaska also has a State Naval Militia, but it's only open to Navy and Marine Corps veterans.

The Civil Air Patrol is another para-military organization - they get more support around here both because they have an educational/youth focused program, and because they assist with search and rescue missions, and also provide small aircraft pilot training (huge things in these parts). As an aside, the CAP Cadet program is outstanding - think something like a highschool JROTC program, something like Eagle Scouts, only the kids are trained in legitimately useful things like flying aircraft, aerospace technology, mechanics, meteorology, etc. They can even earn advanced rank if they decide to join the Air Force when they become adults. I wish I'd known about it when I was a teenager! I highly recommend that people with teenagers (or soon to be teenagers) give it a look-see. It's a nice alternative to gendered scouting organizations, since boys and girls can both join.
DSST | Astronomy - 68 | Anthropology - 73 | HTYH - 450 | Intro to Comp. - 454 | Religions - 459 | Lifespan Dev. - 419 | Counseling - 409 | Substance Abuse - 456 | Geography - 463 | Environment & Humanity - 463 | CLEP | A & I Lit - 75 | Humanities - 57 | Psych - 64 | Western Civ I - 57 | College Comp. - 65 | College Math - 61 | Ed. Psych - 65 | US History I - 68 | Soc Sci & History - 69 | Western Civ II - 53 | US History II - 61 | UExcel | College Writing - A | Social Psych - B | Abnormal Psych - B | Cultural Div. - B | Juvenile Delinquency - B | World Pop. - A | Psych of Adulthood & Aging - A | Straighterline | Intro to Philosophy - 75% | American Gov. - 89% | Macroecon | Microecon | Bus. Communication | Bus. Ethics | Cultural Anth. - 96% |

AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies - Graduated 2015!
BA in Social Sciences & Humanities from TESU - in progress

186 credits and counting...
Well, I looked into the Civil Air Patrol for adults and didn't see any value in it. They have bare minimum funding, no flight training for adults, and travel and product discounts you can receive at thousands of other organizations. They are never paid for anything. They're more like an enthusiast club. The Texas State Guard is an actual military force (as is every other state guard) and heavily involved when disasters hit. Even if they weren't paid, they are still more valuable to the residents of Texas. They also have an air division that works directly with the Texas Air National Guard.

I asked COSC if state guard and state reserve members can receive the military discount. I made sure to clarify that these are not national guard or U.S. reserve forces. I was told that they do qualify for the discount; I'm not sure if the answer is correct. I'm still waiting on a response from Excelsior.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
This is available in CA as well, lots of info available, except the amount of funding the program receives each year. But the benefits are good for anyone who has been in the CNG for at least 2 years, is staying in, and wants to go to college, as they will pay for any community college, Cal State school, or UC (or even some private schools) up to a certain amount each year. Lots of rules and regs, but might be worth checking out if you qualify.

http://www.calguard.ca.gov/Education/Documents/FAQs.pdf
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I forgot to include that you need to serve for one year in Texas before you can apply for reimbursement. CA is a longer wait, but the benefits look great. They even give you money for books and supplies for graduate studies. The Civil Air Patrol looks cool for teens because of the chance to compete for a flight training scholarship and coming in at a higher rank in the Air Force, but I think adults should check out what their state military forces have to offer. Unfortunately, some states are cheap i.e. Alaska. :p According to Wikipedia, North Carolina, Florida, and Pennsylvania are in the process of reactivating their state guards. DC is in the process of getting theirs recognized.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Again, I'm not sure if they really know what I'm talking about, but I did explain that the state guard or state reserve is not the same as the national guard or U.S. reserve. TESC says that state guard members qualify for MDCP, no fees except for the graduation fee, and a tuition rate of $250 per credit hour.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
For anyone in Mississippi:

Quote:Advanced training in military police MOS (military occupational specialty):

o You will be trained to provide a wide range of diverse support and challenged to adapt to any mission or environment. This training is designed to transform a civilian into a Soldier and to provide the necessary expertise needed to be a Military Police Soldier....
Free or low cost emergency medical, law enforcement, firefighting, and Hazardous Material technician training, offered through state and private agencies:

o Members of the MSSG have the opportunity to train with other agencies in the fields of emergency medical, law enforcement, and firefighting and often this training earns official state certifications that can be used to help start or enhance careers in those fields.

Mississippi State Guard - Benefits

They also receive a tuition discount at Belhaven University.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
It took them almost two weeks to respond, but Excelsior also says that state guard and state reserve members qualify for the military discount. Just because I'm curious, I'm asking about the Civil Air Patrol (since they are U.S. Air Force Auxiliary), U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, and U.S. Merchant Marines. Sort of off-topic, but I never knew that so many mariners died during WWII. I believe they had the highest casualty rates.

By the way, Liberty University gives a 25% discount to all public safety workers including Civil Air Patrol senior members. Even with the discount, there are still many cheaper options, though.

Police/Peace Officer, Special Agent, Parole Officer, Corrections Officer, Firefighter, Search and Rescue Worker (license required), EMS/EMT worker (license required), Civil Air Patrol (Senior Member), FEMA volunteer, Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) members, 911 Emergency Dispatcher (certificate required), Park Ranger, Security Officer for Public Safety, Campus Emergency Responder, Campus Police, Border Patrol Officer, Maritime Officer, Medevac (fixed wing/helicopter pilot, ambulance, maritime), Disaster Medical Assistance Team (DMAT), Game Warden, State Trooper, US Marshal, United States Security Personnel field agent (example: FBI, CIA, DHS, DEA), Paramedic

Emergency Response Discount | Liberty University Online
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:It took them almost two weeks to respond, but Excelsior also says that state guard and state reserve members qualify for the military discount. Just because I'm curious, I'm asking about the Civil Air Patrol (since they are U.S. Air Force Auxiliary), U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, and U.S. Merchant Marines. Sort of off-topic, but I never knew that so many mariners died during WWII. I believe they had the highest casualty rates.

By the way, Liberty University gives a 25% discount to all public safety workers including Civil Air Patrol senior members. Even with the discount, there are still many cheaper options, though.

Police/Peace Officer, Special Agent, Parole Officer, Corrections Officer, Firefighter, Search and Rescue Worker (license required), EMS/EMT worker (license required), Civil Air Patrol (Senior Member), FEMA volunteer, Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) members, 911 Emergency Dispatcher (certificate required), Park Ranger, Security Officer for Public Safety, Campus Emergency Responder, Campus Police, Border Patrol Officer, Maritime Officer, Medevac (fixed wing/helicopter pilot, ambulance, maritime), Disaster Medical Assistance Team (DMAT), Game Warden, State Trooper, US Marshal, United States Security Personnel field agent (example: FBI, CIA, DHS, DEA), Paramedic

Emergency Response Discount | Liberty University Online

Hey, they left off Lifeguards!
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I sent another round of emails making sure the Big 3 understood the difference between state guards and the National Guard. Charter Oak State College said that I wouldn't qualify for a military discount. Thomas Edison State University said that I would qualify, but they still seem confused. Excelsior College said I would qualify and gave me specific directions on how to apply. My main concern was the paperwork required, but Excelsior said that a copy of my ID and orders would suffice.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 391 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 210 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 56 9,882 11-19-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Tuition Payment Options lidel 0 309 11-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: lidel
  NYC college student gets 1yr prison sentence in Dubai for touching security guard LevelUP 5 605 10-06-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Arizona State University looking to purchase FIDM bjcheung77 7 872 08-24-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: inf
  Quickest and Easiest Way to Boost GPA for State College aetosdios 12 1,209 08-02-2023, 12:09 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  PASSHE Freeze tuition for the fifth year in a row Vle045 7 782 08-01-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  IIE spring snapshot highlights US return to “pre-pandemic state” bjcheung77 0 285 07-14-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After 14 student deaths, North Carolina State confronts a national crisis bjcheung77 1 381 05-13-2023, 11:40 AM
Last Post: LevelUP