Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Son passed his first CLEP - ?? about TESC & COSC
First, I have to boast a little :-)

My oldest son (15) passed his first CLEP today - Biology. We are so excited! As homeschoolers we are used to thinking "outside the box," and we hope this will be the first of many credit by examination experiences for him.

Now for some questions...
He will be doing some dual enrollment courses over the next three years, as well as CLEP and DANTES. We are looking at possibly getting an AA or AS from TESC or COSC. We're looking at these schools because they don't limit the amount of CBE he can use to get his degree.

Has anyone taken an AA or AS degree FROM one of these schools and successfully attended a brick-and-mortar school for their BA?

When you get a transcript from COSC or TESC, does it have course names with "pass" or grade OR does it show the credits as CLEP, DANTES, etc?

Our concern is that a four-year university that limits the amount of CBE, or doesn't take DANTES still won't except them even if he's "earned" the credit according to COSC or TESC.

I keep reading about the "Gordon Rule" on college websites and that you must take so many classes to fulfill this "rule," but I'm confused what happens when you use CBE for most of your first two-years. Brick & mortar schools don't seem to want to accept CLEP to fulfill the rule either.

I hope this makes sense! I'd appreciate any words of wisdom or advice.

Regards,
Cindy
a.k.a. Proud Homeschool Mom
Unfortunately most regionally accredited b-and-m universities do put limits on the amount of CBE you can transfer in. Typically it’s 30 credits. And even when a school has a transfer agreement with another school, there’s usually still some coursework that must be redone. It stinks but welcome to higher education.

I can’t say for COSC but TESC does indicate that credits were earned via testing. The grade they show is CR.

Unless you want to give him a leg up on his peers by having an associate degree out the box, or want to complete a degree at one of the big three, I'd tread lightly in the world of CBE if his goal is to ultimately attend a b-and-m school.
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="navy"]Congrats to your son on this first BIG step!!

What about[/COLOR] [SIZE="5"]EC[/SIZE] - The number 1 of the BIG 3?[/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Most schools will not accept over half of the credit from ANY outside sources, including other institutions.
Previous Credits:
Traditional 57
CLEP English w/essay 6
Heriot-Watt MBA 7 Modules + 1 Tenative Compensatory Pass

IC Study Credits:
Info. Systems & Comp Apps. CLEP 68
Principles of Marketing CLEP 79
Principles of Management CLEP 73
Working On B.S. Marketing from Excelsior & finishing MBA from Heriot-Watt
Total Credits to Date: 86
I guess he'll have to decide if he wants to get his entire degree through distance learning. Really, he could easily have his associates by the time he graduates, and possibly his bachelors a year later. He's leaning toward business or computer systems.

If he thinks he's going the traditional route he'll just do a few subject examines like CLEP Algebra, Chemistry and possibly Western Civ I and II. Dual Enrollment is free in Florida (have to pay for books), so all those credits will count as well. That will get him a bit ahead of the game anyway.

Thanks again!

Cindy
Dont have any experience with them but APUS/AMU allows up to 90 transfer credit. Maybe he can do his AA through them and then transfer..

Just throwing things out there. Let us know how it goes!
flmom2boys Wrote:First, I have to boast a little :-)

My oldest son (15) passed his first CLEP today - Biology. We are so excited! As homeschoolers we are used to thinking "outside the box," and we hope this will be the first of many credit by examination experiences for him. [SIZE="6"]First, congratulations! CLEP and DANTES is a great way to earn credit![/SIZE]

He will be doing some dual enrollment courses over the next three years, as well as CLEP and DANTES. We are looking at possibly getting an AA or AS from TESC or COSC. We're looking at these schools because they don't limit the amount of CBE he can use to get his degree. [SIZE="5"]These are good options and are very flexible! Also, recommend Exelsior.[/SIZE]
Has anyone taken an AA or AS degree FROM one of these schools and successfully attended a brick-and-mortar school for their BA? [SIZE="5"][COLOR="red"]I wouldn't recommend doing an Associates, as it seems that extra credits are usually required to complete the degree, plus extra costs. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

When you get a transcript from COSC or TESC, does it have course names with "pass" or grade OR does it show the credits as CLEP, DANTES, etc?

Our concern is that a four-year university that limits the amount of CBE, or doesn't take DANTES still won't except them even if he's "earned" the credit according to COSC or TESC. [SIZE="5"]This is a valid concern. I had a similar plan, and what I have been told is that if they don't accept the exam, or if it exceeds the school's cap, then I MIGHT be required to retake courses, even if I held an AA or AS. Now, if both schools are inside the same state, some colleges accept an unconditional transfer for an AA or AS from an in-State school or community college. If your son wants to pursue a brick and morter school, I would recommend selecting the Bachelors program, seeing what CLEPS/DANTES/EC's they accept and take only those exams that are applicable to that degree and their policy. If he wants a reputation of a particular college, I would recommend seeing what they have in the way of distance learning. IE University of Arkansas at Little Rock and Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA have degrees completely online, but their exams accepted aren't as flexible. However, ODU allows upto 2 years of CBE and UALR has no cap. He just has to know what his goals are and want he wants. EC, TESC, and COSC are regionally accredited and graduates have successfully completed grad, law, and medical school. [/SIZE]

I keep reading about the "Gordon Rule" on college websites and that you must take so many classes to fulfill this "rule," but I'm confused what happens when you use CBE for most of your first two-years. Brick & mortar schools don't seem to want to accept CLEP to fulfill the rule either.

Regards,
Cindy

CLEP: English Comp w/ essay, English Comp w/o essay, American Gov't, U.S. History I, A & I Lit, Humanities, Intro Sociology, Intro to Psyc, Human Growth & Development, Intro to Ed Psyc, Prin of Management, Prin of Marketing, Business Law

DSST: Technical Writing
flmom2boys Wrote:First, I have to boast a little :-)

My oldest son (15) passed his first CLEP today - Biology. We are so excited! As homeschoolers we are used to thinking "outside the box," and we hope this will be the first of many credit by examination experiences for him.

He will be doing some dual enrollment courses over the next three years, as well as CLEP and DANTES. We are looking at possibly getting an AA or AS from TESC or COSC. We're looking at these schools because they don't limit the amount of CBE he can use to get his degree.

Has anyone taken an AA or AS degree FROM one of these schools and successfully attended a brick-and-mortar school for their BA?

Our concern is that a four-year university that limits the amount of CBE, or doesn't take DANTES still won't except them even if he's "earned" the credit according to COSC or TESC.

Regards,
Cindy
>>

Cindy, I know this is an older post, but I wanted to add my two cents. Great job offering a test out option to your son. Homeschool kids are especially lucky because parents can provide college level learning and documentation! You can't assume that college prep biology at the high school would have prepared your child to pass the biology CLEP. I also homeschool and hope to arrange test out options for all of our kids- at least 12 credits +/-.

One thing to REALLY think about with high schoolers, is that you have the option of using Advanced Placement (AP) exams. (also college board web site where you find CLEP info) Now, they are not perfect. You have to find a high school that gives them, which can be difficult. They are a bit more expensive ($100?) Check HSLDA web site (Homeschool: HSLDA-Home School Legal Defense Association:) to see if your state law gives you legal right to demand the tests be made available to your child- some states yes, some no. There was just a ruling on this too- should be easy to find.

You can use InstantCert to study for the AP if available, and use CLEP/DSST when AP isn't an option. The AP is usually accepted anywhere if they score 3 or better (out of 5) unless it is a very snobby school Cool and they may require a 4 or even a 5 to award credit. Another perk, is that a high SAT score with AP tests in his pocket will be a huge asset when applying to college and /or getting an academic scholarship!!! Colleges LOVE to see AP exams. Check a few web sites where your child might enroll to see what they say about AP and CLEP policy.

AP exams are credit/no credit, not awarded a letter grade- but not pass/fail. NOTE: if your child takes and passes an AP exam, be sure to change his high school transcript to reflect this. Rather than writing "Intro. Psychology" as an elective, you should record it as "AP Psychology" - you can give a heavier grade point average weight to the course. I intend on allowing my kids to sit all AP classes if available, and use CLEP for the ones they don't score a 3 or higher on. If they pass the CLEP psychology for example, you might call the class "Intro. Psych. College-level" and use the CLEP as the final exam- thus documenting credit. If your child took psych as an elective but didn't sit for any exams (or failed them) you can just call it "Intro. Psychology" and award a regular grade. By the way, your child can still earn an A grade in homeschool even if he didn't pass the CLEP or AP, thus keeping his high grade point average.

Finally, some colleges don't charge to transcript your AP, but will charge to transcript your CLEP.

As for the big 3, I am pretty sure they require students be 21 years of age now. I looked into this last year, so my memory could have faded by now, but it is worth double checking.

My words of advise are aim high. Help your son into the best RA school he can, with the best reputation, and the strongest academic program you can afford (of course he can contribute to the financial portion by studying hard and passing his AP and SAT exams with flying colors) . Business and Computers (your son's interests) are highly competitive markets. What will make him stand out? You want him to be competitive and at the top of the applicant pool, not being questioned from HR about the validity of his learning.

I think for a mid career adult (like me!) the big 3 are perfect, but with the young person- they have the time to attend BM school full time. They also lack the exposure and world experience to gain all they need IN MY OPINION through only online learning and testing out. (Brad Voeller would disagree, and I loved his book by the way). I think the reason most everyone here can use IC and test out of classes like Sociology or Human Growth and Development with only a week or two study is because we have LIVED THE CLASS.

Even though you didn't ask for my opinion Cool I think your son should take the Biology AP exam. Even if he doesn't pass he has the CLEP already in his pocket- but because he passed he might be 90% prepared to get a high score!
Hi FL Mom,

I would suggest; since you're going the dual enrollment route to look at the CLEP policy of your local community colleges. Most community colleges have some sort of agreement with their nearby university (if there is one nearby) regarding transfering to the UNI or State College after receiving one's AA at the community college. If you go that route, and follow the community college's policy - your son shouldn't have trouble with transferring his AA credits (and any CLEPS he took to get there) to the state college or university. I would suggest doing that over transferring from TESC. If he knows what university he wants to go to, check and see what that university's CLEP policy is - usually a higher score threshold than community colleges or TESC...

Good luck to your son!
Congrats to your son on passiong Biology!! That's great. Most schools, that I've checked with will not accept more than 30 or 45 credits CBE. I hope that helps.
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kim did it after 4 tries! <baby bar passed> bjcheung77 9 1,381 04-23-2024, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 513 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,851 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 852 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,323 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New BSW From COSC Alpha 30 2,741 05-02-2022, 10:06 AM
Last Post: louise
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,644 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Passed the CISSP Exam jamshid666 5 1,874 09-27-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Passed the CHFI Exam jamshid666 9 1,538 07-17-2021, 06:40 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,283 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007