Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sending a failed exam grade to a college
I am not enrolled yet and have not been sending my exams scores anywhere. (I am looking to enroll at COSC soon, Lord willing). I hope not to fail any exams, but I was wondering what happens if you are enrolled in a college and take an exam, sending the score to them. If you fail that test, does it show up on your transcript at all? What does the school do with that score?

Thanks for your help.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
topdog98 Wrote:I am not enrolled yet and have not been sending my exams scores anywhere. (I am looking to enroll at COSC soon, Lord willing). I hope not to fail any exams, but I was wondering what happens if you are enrolled in a college and take an exam, sending the score to them. If you fail that test, does it show up on your transcript at all? What does the school do with that score?

Thanks for your help.

Colleges don't accept failing grades and so they generally just ignore it and take in what is available as an A, B, C, D, or in this case a P.

Another tip is that you can control what is sent.

For CLEP, you can check off what exams to send or can check the box to only send scores of 50+ using their transcript form:
http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalSer...t-form.pdf

For DSST, you can check the box for scores at or above the ACE recommendation:
http://getcollegecredit.com/images/uploa...r_Form.pdf

Just make sure your college takes the ACE score (like TESC, EC, and COSC do) and doesn't set their own passing score (some colleges do but most take the ACE recommendation).
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
This is what you will get from TESC:

Your score on the CLEP College Algebra was below the minimum passing score recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE). ThomasEdison State College does not award credit for scores below the ACE recommendation.

No harm, no foul :p
MBA - Western Governors 2019
BSBA - TESC 2014

CLEP/DSST:  Principles of Management 69 | Human Resource Management 64 | Introduction to Computing 466 | Principles of Marketing 67 | Organizational Behavior 61 | Management Information Systems 466 | Principles of Supervision 437 | Introduction to Business 434 | Business Ethics and Society 431 | Introductory Business Law 56 | Macroeconomics 54 | American Government 59 | Money & Banking 52 | English Composition

Straighterline:  Accounting I (89%) | Accounting II (75%) | Financial Accounting (82.5%) | Managerial Accounting (86.7%) | Business Communications (84%) | Microeconomics (87%) | Religions of the World (88.5%) | Organizational Behavior (93%)

Penn Foster: Finance (89%) | Strategic Business Management (97%)

ALEKS:  College Algebra (78%)
CooperAlex's tips are fine to follow as long as you do not send the original score report in the first place! For CLEP, you would select the option that says 'Do Not Send' and for DSST you would leave the box blank for the official score recipient. There are some people who don't want to take the chance that there would be a negative process/reaction from the registrar's office due to a non-passing score. They would rather wait until they know for sure that they passed, pay the extra transcript fee and order it directly from CLEP/DSST.
Thanks! All of the replies were very helpful.
If you send in failing scores, nobody will care. Failing a CBE test isn't like failing a course. Don't think that you need to retake it later and pass it to offset the fail. You failed, no big deal, move on.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
So since you're not sending score reports now (a waste of time anyway) when you are ready to request your transcript, there is a nifty little box that allows you to send only passing scores and not the full record. NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW if you pass or fail unless you tell them. You have nothing to lose.
cookderosa Wrote:So since you're not sending score reports now (a waste of time anyway) when you are ready to request your transcript, there is a nifty little box that allows you to send only passing scores and not the full record. NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW if you pass or fail unless you tell them. You have nothing to lose.

I guess what I was meaning to ask was, after enrollment, is there a drawback to sending test scores directly to the school as you are taking the exams. If I am reading the replies correctly, the consensus is that the schools just ignore failing test scores, and BSGU_Alum_86 added that some students would rather be safe than sorry and don't like to risk sending a failing score directly to their school.
topdog98 Wrote:I guess what I was meaning to ask was, after enrollment, is there a drawback to sending test scores directly to the school as you are taking the exams. If I am reading the replies correctly, the consensus is that the schools just ignore failing test scores, and BSGU_Alum_86 added that some students would rather be safe than sorry and don't like to risk sending a failing score directly to their school.

There is no drawback, but unless you've already sent EVERY one, you're still going to have to buy a transcript. Remember that your CLEP/DSST transcript shows all of your scores (with the option not to show failing scores) and is a one time cost, so again, unless you're ahead of the ball and have already sent all of your scores at the time you've taken the exam, you're still going to have to send in a transcript. But yes, if they have everything to date, and yes, you're enrolled, then yes, just send them when you take each test.
Just remember, no matter how you feel after you have taken the test, when it asks you if you want to submit your score...

Always say YES.

...or else you will forfeit a potentially passing score (and will never know).

That's a separate question from SENDING your score to your school, but there has been some confusion in the past from other posters and I don't want to see you make a huge mistake based upon a misunderstanding.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 172,918 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,769 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,037 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  Metropolia Open UAS Failed Enrollment? MissRN 12 1,604 07-31-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: cro-magnon
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,348 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 624 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 448 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 761 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 297 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 4 1,117 06-13-2024, 09:12 AM