Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking Advice on Pursuing an MBA for Career Advancement in the USA
Hello everyone,

I'm seeking advice on which degree I should pursue to enhance my qualifications and prepare for a potential move to the USA in the next 1-2 years. I want to ensure that the program I choose aligns with my professional goals and personal commitments. Below, I've filled out a template with my current situation and preferences. I would greatly appreciate any insights or recommendations you might have. Thank you in advance for your help!

**Your Location:** Germany  
**Your Age:** 31 years  
**What kind of degree do you want?:** MBA  
**Current Regional Accredited Credits:** Bachelor of Arts from a German university  
**Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:** None  
**Any certifications or military experience?:** None  
**Budget:** Preferably under $10,000  
**Commitments:** Family and full-time work at a large European bank in the HR IT sector  
**Dedicated time to study:** Limited due to full-time work and family commitments  
**Timeline:** Completion in 1-2 years  

**Additional Information:** I plan to move to the USA in the next 1-2 years and want to further qualify myself in the meantime to build a network in the USA and increase my professional value. I am open to programs that offer flexible learning formats, such as online courses. I am considering the Executive MBA program from Valar/Quantic, where I would receive a scholarship that reduces costs by about 60%. However, I am uncertain because it is not fully accredited in the USA. I am looking for a cost-effective program that can be completed quickly and fits within my budget constraints.
Do you have a mentor? How broad is your network?

I have found that experience and networks are more of a factor in career development than any credential. Are you talking to people who are incumbent in the sorts of roles you aspire for?
Chief Petty Officer
United States Navy (Retired)
(08-23-2024, 08:51 AM)Charles Fout Wrote: Do you have a mentor? How broad is your network?

I have found that experience and networks are more of a factor in career development than any credential. Are you talking to people who are incumbent in the sorts of roles you aspire for?
Thank you for your response and insights. Currently, I do not have a mentor, and my network is primarily limited to Europe and Germany. I understand the importance of having a broad network and gaining experience, especially for career development in the USA. This is one of the reasons I am considering further education, as I hope it will help me build connections and expand my network internationally. If you have any suggestions on how to effectively broaden my network or find a mentor, I would greatly appreciate your advice.
Welcome to the board... Must it be MBA and nothing else? What about MAOL or MSM? Did you do a search online and also review the sticky threads in the graduate sub forum?
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • MFG
Absolutely, diving into an MBA with your sights set on moving to the U.S. is a big move! Given your situation, here's a more relaxed take on how you might think about your next steps:

Accreditation is Key: It’s super important, especially if you’re looking to work in the U.S. You’ll want to make sure whatever program you pick is well-recognized. If that MBA from Valar/Quantic isn’t fully accredited in the U.S., you might want to keep looking. Accreditation isn’t just about ticking a box; it’s about ensuring your degree will be respected and valued.

Fit it Into Your Life: With a full plate—work, family, and all—it sounds like you need something flexible. Online MBAs are a lifesaver here. They let you manage your study time around your personal schedule, and you’d be surprised at how rigorous and engaging these programs can be.

Watching the Wallet: Keeping costs down while getting a good education can be tricky. Since you're aiming for under $10,000, definitely scout out scholarships or financial aid options. Some programs are surprisingly affordable, especially if they offer financial aid for international students.

Networking from Afar: Even if you go the online route, look for a program that’s strong on networking. You want to build connections in the U.S. before you get here, so check out programs that offer virtual networking events, mentorship opportunities, and have active alumni networks.

Don’t Rush the Decision: Since you’re planning a move in the next year or two, you’ve got some time to choose wisely. Talk to advisors, reach out to alumni, and really dig into what these programs can offer beyond just the name.

It sounds like you’ve got a good head on your shoulders and a clear vision for what you need. An Executive MBA could be great, but make sure it’s going to pay off in the long run, especially with the accreditation side of things. Good luck finding the perfect fit – it’s out there!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leojames26's post:
  • MFG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for advice on choosing a degree for a career change frankc 13 901 09-13-2024, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Obrajnick
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 9 366 09-12-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 11 1,126 09-08-2024, 11:45 PM
Lightbulb Accelerated Degree Plan For New Career new_start2025+ 12 525 09-08-2024, 11:38 PM
  Firefighter career change, need help navigating SquirrelOnfire55 8 376 09-07-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  DSST testing advice (for beginner) audpants 2 182 08-26-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: davewill
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 18 1,305 08-26-2024, 09:00 AM
  Advice needed for Health Degree thethinker58 13 1,703 08-10-2024, 10:21 PM
Last Post: wow
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 33 2,697 07-26-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Seeking Advice on Fast-Tracking a Bachelor's Degree in PM+IS from UMPI Fiona 4 423 07-23-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP