Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School acting shady about clep...
USF in Tampa allows 35 testing credits. My advice is to enroll in a school that allows 60 or more. TESC is fine. You will be very proud of the degree. It is not FSU but that college diploma is useful as a checkbox for most people. 5 years into your career people will not ask about your bachelors degree.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Found this on the registrar site

Transfer Credits

NSU will transfer a maximum of 90 degree-applicable credits toward a degree, including credit for the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), proficiency exams, and prior experiential learning. NSU will transfer courses from previous institutions for which a student has earned a grade of C or higher. Remaining credits and at least 50 percent of credits in the student's major must be earned at NSU in regular academic offerings.

Oh well I am contacting registrar tomorrow, just hope that means what I think it means. You would think if they had a limit on clep credits that it would be found somewhere on the website.
Wow....I am still not getting straight answers.
My local community college went to an unlimited credit by examination policy. They decided that accepting CLEP credits shouldn't be any different than accepting credits from transferred courses, which aren't limited. But the real reason for the change is that they thought a more liberal policy of testing credits is that it might help improve their overall graduation rate.

Sure, schools want course revenue, but they are subject to losing funding if graduation rates are low.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
lilacskin Wrote:Wow....I am still not getting straight answers.

Not answer, written policy. Ask for the WRITTEN policy. What people tell you doesn't matter. Advisors can be (and often are) WRONG!
They all keep giving me the run around. Telling me to go from one office to the next. Everything I see on the website and handbook doesn't really specify amount of credits.

Here is a link Assessment of Prior Experiences for Academic Credit | NSU Transfer Evaluation Services for Undergraduate Students

It's like they don't want to tell me.
lilacskin Wrote:They all keep giving me the run around. Telling me to go from one office to the next. Everything I see on the website and handbook doesn't really specify amount of credits.

Here is a link Assessment of Prior Experiences for Academic Credit | NSU Transfer Evaluation Services for Undergraduate Students

It's like they don't want to tell me.

Ok, so it looks like you have to couple that page with the transfer policy page in order to get the full info.

So, first, you must complete 12 credits in house before they accept anything. (ok, no big deal) At that point, you open the door to bring in your credit for eval. If you wait until you've earned 24 credits in house, that door closes and you're SOL. (kinda sneaky, but not a huge deal as long as you find out how this works. For example, if you complete semester 1 for 12 credits, do you then submit CLEP transcripts or is it ok to register for next term? If you are registered for next term, it could look like 24 credits and you'd be left out- I'd ask for clarity with that tiny distinction)

Using their table, you can figure out ahead of time what they'll take and where it will go for credit. The cap is 90 if I remember correctly, so you'll have to figure out how close you can get to 90 using their chart.

If you're enrolling full time each term, this is going to require fancy dancing- but if you're only taking 3 or 6 credits, it buys you more time. It also looks like your school has a specific department that you need to deal directly with "Transfer Evaluation Services" will make the call on credit transfer.

OH and I wanted to say, never - ever- in my whole life- have I known what DSST stood for until I followed your link Smile Digital Systems Substitution Test. DSST. Huh, learn something new every day.
CookD,
They must have it wrong because my understanding is that DSST stands for: DANTES Subject Standardized Tests and DANTES stands for: Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support. :-)
cookderosa Wrote:Ok, so it looks like you have to couple that page with the transfer policy page in order to get the full info.

So, first, you must complete 12 credits in house before they accept anything. (ok, no big deal) At that point, you open the door to bring in your credit for eval. If you wait until you've earned 24 credits in house, that door closes and you're SOL. (kinda sneaky, but not a huge deal as long as you find out how this works. For example, if you complete semester 1 for 12 credits, do you then submit CLEP transcripts or is it ok to register for next term? If you are registered for next term, it could look like 24 credits and you'd be left out- I'd ask for clarity with that tiny distinction)

Using their table, you can figure out ahead of time what they'll take and where it will go for credit. The cap is 90 if I remember correctly, so you'll have to figure out how close you can get to 90 using their chart.

If you're enrolling full time each term, this is going to require fancy dancing- but if you're only taking 3 or 6 credits, it buys you more time. It also looks like your school has a specific department that you need to deal directly with "Transfer Evaluation Services" will make the call on credit transfer.

OH and I wanted to say, never - ever- in my whole life- have I known what DSST stood for until I followed your link Smile Digital Systems Substitution Test. DSST. Huh, learn something new every day.

Hi cookederosa. Thanks for taking the time to look through it. So are you saying because they accept 90 transfer credits, including clep that I should be able to take as many tests that will add up to that? That is kind of what I figured...but I would like them to show me a written statement so I don't waste my time/money on it.
lilacskin Wrote:Hi cookederosa. Thanks for taking the time to look through it. So are you saying because they accept 90 transfer credits, including clep that I should be able to take as many tests that will add up to that? That is kind of what I figured...but I would like them to show me a written statement so I don't waste my time/money on it.

Ok, the policy you posted is the written policy. So, I'm just digesting what I've read on their site.
Before taking any exam or class, make sure it fits into your degree plan. Good luck! Looks like you're on your way!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Med school - anyone interested? Well... bjcheung77 17 622 Yesterday, 09:36 AM
Last Post: Bingbong
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,848 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,712 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,345 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
Shocked The Secret of Why You Will NEVER Get Into an Ivy League School Part 2 LevelUP 10 1,392 06-27-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 1,014 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,899 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  F in high school but 4.0 college gpa Spyrine 4 580 05-18-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: davewill
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,824 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 422 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP