Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School acting shady about clep...
Hello everyoneSmile

I just found out about clep last month. Since then I have been talking to my Uni trying to figure out exactly how many clep credits they will accept. The problem is I am not getting a straight answer. One adviser told me 30...but then I checked the student handbook and they never put a limit. My school accepts up to 90 transfer credits. I asked another adviser and she didn't seem to know at all. They are taking forever to get back to me! Did anyone else experience this?
My community college (Normandale in Minnesota) pretends like neither CLEP or DSST exist. Buried on the website is a policy which allows for unlimited CLEP acceptance as long as the residency requirement is met (20 credits for AA). DSST appears nowhere in any policy but they have a published list for both kinds of tests which shows how they accept them. My biggest issue has been how long it takes to have them to be accepted (2-4 months) and that some of the business tests get accepted for elective credit and I have to complete a petition form. The school concentrates on their prior learning assessment program which is offered for half price tuition.

Luckily I'm finishing that off this semester and only waiting for my last score to be entered in (Prometric never mailed it!). I'm waiting for my TESC evaluation to be done so I can start that venture this summer. I'm kind of growing out of the community college setting with my 102 credits (and 9 in progress). Even if they only take 30 credits at your school, that is still a great start toward your degree. If that is their limit you should see if they will allow 30 from CLEP, 30 from DSST, and maybe even 30 more from other ACE accredited programs. Good luck on your testing.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
CLEP and DSST could put community college revenues in jeopardy. If everyone knew that they could CLEP out of all of those gen ed requirements, I bet a lot of the community colleges would have to shrink. It would also lower student load debt. Thats why I always tell people about CLEP and DSST.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
The last community college I attended was pretty open about accepting CLEP. They also encourage former students to return with their bachelors degrees in order to get an associates degrees since most students collect credits at CCs and move on without graduating. Some community college advisors are really just clueless or don't care to look up information for you. I've encountered the same attitude at some 4-year schools.
I think I'm going to have a tiny aneurysm if I am transferred much more because no one there knows what a DSST is.
The DSST site says they accept them, but the CC site doesn't give any info at all about it and the staff have not been helpful at all for just about anything.
M.
Mom of 11

Graduated 6, still home educating 5

Credits from CC classes:
eng 1113 freshman comp 1
eng comp 2
pos 1113 american fed gov't (political sci.)
spa 1103 spanish 1
bio 2123 human ecology
his 1493 american history civil war era - present
phi 1113 intro to philosophy
soc 1113 intro to sociology
total credits 24 hours
gpa 3.12

Very good point and very true. Cost the schools money if you dont take classes with them. Awesome!

ryoder Wrote:CLEP and DSST could put community college revenues in jeopardy. If everyone knew that they could CLEP out of all of those gen ed requirements, I bet a lot of the community colleges would have to shrink. It would also lower student load debt. Thats why I always tell people about CLEP and DSST.
AAS Environmental Safety and Securities Technologies Dec-2011
Working on BA Intellegence Studies Counterterrorism at AMU!
Aleks: Beginners Algebra 72%, College Algebra 83%, Intermediate Algebra 88%, Pre-Calculus 75%, Business Stats 73%
FEMA: 51 Completed
ACE Credits: 18
Military AARTS: 18
24 UoP Credits: GEN200, IT105, COM120, COMM215, HIS145, SCI100, MATH208, MATH209,
DSST-Here's to Your Health--423 (PASS) AUG 15, 2011
DSST Technical Writing--49 (PASS) SEP 01, 2011
StraighterLine: Economics I Macroeconomics 89.7% Economics II Microeconomics 90.2%, Intro to Biology with lab 90.6%, Western Civ I 77.5%,
US History I 82% All Done!
It's actually a 4 year Uni that I am attending. I am not sure what to do...I can't find the information on my own and they are taking forever to give a response! I have a feeling it is the same as transfer credits (90) but they don't want to tell me. My thing is I need to get this out of the way asap because my school as a rule of how many traditional credits you can earn before your CLEP or DSST is accepted. Basically they only accept CLEP or DSST if you submit them before you have 15 credits with them. My school has a pretty big Distance Education program, which leads me to believe they probably accept more than 30 CLEP credits. I literally have all the time in the world to study right now and would like to get this out of the way!!!
Just a tip, try asking about Dantes exams or department of defense exams. This is what DSST exams used to be called and honestly at B&M schools that don't deal with them much, they may still refer to them as Dantes. They were originally developed for use by just military personnel then moved to main stream to compete with CLEP. Using this more familiar terminology may help you locate info in their catalog or when talking to a clueless advisor. Also keep in mind that most schools especially CC will lump all types of credit by exam into one catagory, but usually the student services director will have a list of accepted exams and how they will transfer in to the school. I did this with our local CC for my son. Good luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
I'm assuming you've searched the university website, right? I have researched dozens of schools and have not yet found one without clep/dsst info listed somewhere. Try univ name + Clep in google search. Also try the testing center part of website and usually there is a link there to which clep's are accepted and course equivalency. Repeat with DSST. If all else fails read the college current catalog and you'll get your answer.

You can then match course equivalency to degree plan and figure things out without your counselor. Once you have a plan go to them for approval...
Yeah my school shows the tests accepted and the amount of credits for them. The problem is I don't know if there is a limit on how many of the tests I can take. They say nowhere in the catalog or website! It says my school requires 25% of the credits to be completed there in order to graduate. That still doesn't tell me if the other 75% can be from clep/dsst. They are pretty vague saying students can earn prior learning credit through clep and dsst, never do they say how many credits! They say it can be used for major,elective, or general ed credits...still no clue if there is a limit! I will try asking them again tomorrow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Med school - anyone interested? Well... bjcheung77 17 621 Yesterday, 09:36 AM
Last Post: Bingbong
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,847 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,710 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,345 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
Shocked The Secret of Why You Will NEVER Get Into an Ivy League School Part 2 LevelUP 10 1,389 06-27-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 1,014 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,897 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  F in high school but 4.0 college gpa Spyrine 4 570 05-18-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: davewill
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,804 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 422 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP