Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SS # on CLEP??
Today when I showed up at my testing center to take the Humanities CLEP exam, the test administrator told me to type my name and birthdate on the computerized form, but she told me NOT to enter my SS#. Other people were already testing so she was whispering, and I thought I misunderstood what she said. So I asked her again if that's what she really meant just to be certain and she said, "That's correct. Don't put your SS# on there." I thought this was a little strange considering my other tests have always included my SS#, but I figured they must be having a problem with it and so I just went on with the test. Well, I scored a 63, but now I am starting to worry that I'm not going to get credit because of the lack of the SS # on the score. Is putting your SS# optional these days?
Optional? I'm not sure. I would presume not...

I'd attempt to contact the CollegeBoard to make sure they received your score AND that it was assigned to you. Also, if they (the CollegeBoard) does need your SS# then they can get it put in ASAP, instead of waiting several months down the road.
I never put my SSN on any CLEP test. It isn't necessary and it is unwise to do so.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
I didn't put my number on the first three CLEP exams I took and when I transferred them to TESC they all went through. The proctor at the first place told me not to do it but the proctor I use now said to do it to avoid potential problems and make it easier to work with CollegeBoard if something goes wrong. I guess it's your choice, I think it would help if something went wrong to be able to easily trace it back to your set of exams taken but it is optional on both CLEP and DSST forms but I put it in. I noticed that FEMA makes me do it, maybe that is to prove residency to utilize the site. I wouldn't worry about it either way but I'd stick to doing it one way or the other.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
I just took my 5th computerized CLEP test yesterday and as usual had to put my Social Security# into the initial form before starting the actual test (along with name, birthdate, address, credit card info for payment.) I also need to present two forms of id before I can even sign in to the testing center - Driver's license with photo and my original SS card (you're technically supposed to have two photo id's but I only have one - so original SS card was accepted instead.)

2011-2012
CLEP
Introductory Psychology 75
Human Growth and Development 69
Introduction to Educational Psychology 72
American Literature 80
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature 75

AA Degree USNY Regents College 1991
You don't need to use your ss#. I don't even have a ss# since I live in Australia, and I don't have a problem when I go into testing.
Set yourself goals, not limitations
Yes you are right. You don't need to put the SS no these days. I was told college board changed the rule and now they are not taking ss number due to some problem.

Don't worry I recently gave 3 clep exam and my score got transferred. They are using first last name n date of birth instead
Need 40 credits

Credits taken and passed
College algebra 3 credits
Coll maths 6 credits
English composition without essay 3 credits
Biology 6 credits
Natural science 6 credits
Intro to psych 3 credits
Human growth n development 3 credits
Not sure about CLEP exams, however TESC did refuse to accept a Rutgers transcript w/out my ssn on it; I had to order the transcript again & specifically request my ssn be printed on it.
Clepclep Wrote:Yes you are right. You don't need to put the SS no these days. I was told college board changed the rule and now they are not taking ss number due to some problem.

Don't worry I recently gave 3 clep exam and my score got transferred. They are using first last name n date of birth instead

I think the rule changed in either January or February, because I went to 3 different schools during this time frame and all of them were beginning to enforce the No-SSN policy, although a few weeks prior I was required to use a SSN.

I just wanted to add my experience as confirmation for what Clepclep says.
SuZQ2 Wrote:I just took my 5th computerized CLEP test yesterday and as usual had to put my Social Security# into the initial form

Just because a box for SSN was there didn't mean you had to put your SSN. I've been taking CLEPs for two years at many different testing centers without ever entering a SSN. My test credits have been processed and posted by several different universities, all without benefit of a SSN.

Even if a test administrator tells you that you must doesn't make it so. You should resist giving your SSN as a general principle in life to protect yourself against identity theft. And if a prospective employer asks for your Facebook (or your InstantCert!) password, tell them no. Don't give in.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,804 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 673 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,189 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,049 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,821 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,450 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,388 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,633 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,820 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  English Comp 2 exam option? CLEP's closed yokopilar 4 2,342 05-06-2020, 09:17 AM
Last Post: yokopilar