Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SJSU partners with Udacity and SUNY announces Open SUNY
I'm mixed on the for-proft argument. A large chunk of traditional B&M schools are offering online programs. I believe this is a direct result of for-profit institutions pioneering the online model (showing that it works) and also the for-profits taking a huge market share. The non-profits may not have a profit motive, but they definitley have a revenue motive. Go to any state school that offers and MBA and see how the cost per credit for the MBA is usually at least double other masters programs and definintley more than the bachelors. These institutions are using market forces (including the profit motive) to fund other areas of the school. So the MBAs who are working are double funding the philosopy major; first they're subsidising the philophy major's tuition, second they're paying the taxes that funds unemployment for the philosophy major. (joking, but not)...So I'm glad for the UoPs of the world that make it possible for us to pursue degrees online, but I am completely appalled at the behavior of the for profits in recruiting and leaving unprepared students to dry and charging uncle sam for it.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
For-profits might have popularized distance education by excessive advertising and admitting anyone who can breathe, but they didn't pioneer it. I have to find the article again that details this, but several non-profits were the first to offer online courses and programs.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:For-profits might have popularized distance education by excessive advertising and admitting anyone who can breathe, but they didn't pioneer it. I have to find the article again that details this, but several non-profits were the first to offer online courses and programs.

We're arguing semantics, distance education has been around a very long time, first by correspondence and then online from private and public instutions. Poor word usage on my part. My intent in using the term pioneer was that their successful usage of the model drove others to copy it, but the intent was lost in my haste to get back to work.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Another college just announced that they will start accepting MOOCs for credit. Georgia State University has just announced that they will grant credit to students for MOOCs. The article states they will be treating MOOCs the same as they do other transfer credit, such as for course work done at other universities. This is pretty big news because that opens the door to accepting a huge variety of courses. For example, this policy would imply that ANY course found at Saylor.org would now be available for credit. It would be nice if the Big 3 announced a similar policy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia Open UAS Failed Enrollment? MissRN 12 1,656 07-31-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: cro-magnon
  ASU partners with university in Peru bjcheung77 2 695 05-22-2024, 06:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 1,134 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Udacity & AWS AI & ML Scholarship bjcheung77 1 495 02-01-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: evenFair23
  Santander Becas changes to Open Santander Avidreader 0 400 11-22-2023, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  50% off Black Friday sale Udacity Imbanewbie 0 458 11-18-2023, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  What's your opinion on The Open University UK? nomaduser 12 2,463 11-08-2023, 05:47 AM
Last Post: alfiooo
  ASU partners with for-profit in El Salvador elcastor21 1 453 08-26-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Bentley University partners with Coinbase... bjcheung77 1 694 08-25-2023, 09:59 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Writtle University College announces Anglia Ruskin merger bjcheung77 0 421 08-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77