Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote Proctoring deemed illegal as violation of 4th amendment rights?
(08-25-2022, 12:38 AM)Chankosumo Wrote: I believe the security concerns about these proctoring services are being severely underestimated. Despite the fact that I and many of us here took and will in the future take proctored exams, I would support a complete ban on them. Yes, even if it means the end of my education adventures. I see potential online scams as consequences of online proctoring. I'll be happier knowing there will be less opportunities for scammers devastating people's lives. I have seen enough examples, you can watch many in youtube. That is my opinion.

P.S.
Sophia and CSM Learn course are using good enough methods to recognize it is us who take the test with keyboard writing patterns. Improving or creating similar systems of authentication seem a lot better to me. A lot more secure above all.

We need proctoring to prevent cheating.

You are right, online security is a major concern. Keep in mind you could do proctoring on a separate hard drive partition with its own separate OS installation. You can use burner credit cards and emails.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • studyingfortests
(08-25-2022, 06:54 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 12:38 AM)Chankosumo Wrote: I believe the security concerns about these proctoring services are being severely underestimated. Despite the fact that I and many of us here took and will in the future take proctored exams, I would support a complete ban on them. Yes, even if it means the end of my education adventures. I see potential online scams as consequences of online proctoring. I'll be happier knowing there will be less opportunities for scammers devastating people's lives. I have seen enough examples, you can watch many in youtube. That is my opinion.

P.S.
Sophia and CSM Learn course are using good enough methods to recognize it is us who take the test with keyboard writing patterns. Improving or creating similar systems of authentication seem a lot better to me. A lot more secure above all.

We need proctoring to prevent cheating.

You are right, online security is a major concern. Keep in mind you could do proctoring on a separate hard drive partition with its own separate OS installation. You can use burner credit cards and emails.

People still cheat with proctoring. It doesn't prevent it 100%. People will always find a way to cheat. Some people just don't belong in college. People cheat with papers as well......always have. Now it's just easier to catch them. 

Security is a major issue as there are have already been numerous breaks in security with these proctoring companies. A division of a hard drive isn't really going to protect you. Neither will burner credit cards or emails. You're required to upload a colored photo of your driver's license to your account on Examity. You also have to show it in the video. I have tried for a year to get my license photo removed and they still have not removed it.
(08-25-2022, 01:09 PM)ss20ts Wrote: People still cheat with proctoring. It doesn't prevent it 100%. People will always find a way to cheat. Some people just don't belong in college. People cheat with papers as well......always have. Now it's just easier to catch them. 

Security is a major issue as there are have already been numerous breaks in security with these proctoring companies. A division of a hard drive isn't really going to protect you. Neither will burner credit cards or emails. You're required to upload a colored photo of your driver's license to your account on Examity. You also have to show it in the video. I have tried for a year to get my license photo removed and they still have not removed it.
Amen to this. One of the most disheartening things I discovered, while googling information about various graduate school curriculums and individual courses was a shocking number of just blatant plagiarism sites. They go so far as to list a specific school and course number and promise they can write you the perfect essay / assignment / take your test for you / write your signature assignment. And I mean, dozens or hundreds of them. All promising guaranteed 100% original content, plagiarism free. This took me down a rabbit hole and I found a discussion of various graduate students and recent graduates and, sometimes, younger *professors* at a given school, offering to write papers for students via these services.

I don't know what the solution is, because I agree that no matter what you do, students will find a way to cheat. Worse, students whose normal behavior might be to look up when thinking, or who have some level of distraction and look off to the side, get busted by some of these AI based exam proctors that think they are cheating... when they are totally not doing so.

I honestly wonder what % of students hire these paper writing services? And how these students perform in the workplace once they've graduated. Come to think of it, a couple of the hires my company has made probably did this, because they have degrees from highly credible schools that you'd think would qualify them... and they seem to lack even the most basic knowledge in their field.

It's disheartening.
I´m currently grading papers in my classes.

1st year students at the institute and 5th year students at the university.

I lose a lot of time, just checking for plagiarism.

I´m just using a basic website like:

https://www.duplichecker.com/

Most people write their own assignments, but I had some 100% plagiarized work.
(08-25-2022, 11:59 PM)studyingfortests Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 01:09 PM)ss20ts Wrote: People still cheat with proctoring. It doesn't prevent it 100%. People will always find a way to cheat. Some people just don't belong in college. People cheat with papers as well......always have. Now it's just easier to catch them. 

Amen to this.  One of the most disheartening things I discovered, while googling information about various graduate school curriculums and individual courses was a shocking number of just blatant plagiarism sites.  They go so far as to list a specific school and course number and promise they can write you the perfect essay / assignment / take your test for you / write your signature assignment.   And I mean, dozens or hundreds of them. All promising guaranteed 100% original content, plagiarism free.  This took me down a rabbit hole and I found a discussion of various graduate students and recent graduates and, sometimes, younger *professors* at a given school, offering to write papers for students via these services.

I don't know what the solution is, because I agree that no matter what you do, students will find a way to cheat. Worse, students whose normal behavior might be to look up when thinking, or who have some level of distraction and look off to the side, get busted by some of these AI based exam proctors that think they are cheating... when they are totally not doing so.

I honestly wonder what % of students hire these paper writing services?  And how these students perform in the workplace once they've graduated.  Come to think of it, a couple of the hires my company has made probably did this, because they have degrees from highly credible schools that you'd think would qualify them... and they seem to lack even the most basic knowledge in their field.

It's disheartening.

Disagree with me all you want, but only an English native can write English perfectly.

AI can be used to detect differences in writing styles. A human can also detect something is off, especially if written by a non-native speaker. Then a college can pull previous papers can compare them.

I can write 500 words per hour, including gathering research links. Writing is one of the main skills you learn in college.

Paying native English speakers to write papers can get expensive pretty quickly. Not worth the money or academic risk.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(08-26-2022, 05:51 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Disagree with me all you want, but only an English native can write English perfectly.

This is definitely silly. If you haven't been learning English for very long, sure. But it's definitely possible to achieve native-levels of proficiency from non-native speakers. Especially considering how many native speakers are bad at writing.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-26-2022, 07:18 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-26-2022, 05:51 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Disagree with me all you want, but only an English native can write English perfectly.

This is definitely silly. If you haven't been learning English for very long, sure. But it's definitely possible to achieve native-levels of proficiency from non-native speakers. Especially considering how many native speakers are bad at writing.

To be clear, I'm not saying they can't write well. They can't sound 100% like a native.

This is my experience and others in the business field when it comes to writing things such as blog posts.

You can tell something is off, which is why it would be easy to detect if you bought from a cheap writing service that uses non-native speakers to write papers.

This is good news if you aspire to be a writer because businesses can't just use the cheapest provider.
Dunning-Krueger. People who aren't good writers in English think that they can write well enough. But they can't.

I've come across plenty of people who, if they hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have known that they weren't native speakers. But they often apologize for their English being "so bad".
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-26-2022, 05:51 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 11:59 PM)studyingfortests Wrote:

Amen to this.  One of the most disheartening things I discovered, while googling information about various graduate school curriculums and individual courses was a shocking number of just blatant plagiarism sites.  They go so far as to list a specific school and course number and promise they can write you the perfect essay / assignment / take your test for you / write your signature assignment.   And I mean, dozens or hundreds of them. All promising guaranteed 100% original content, plagiarism free.  This took me down a rabbit hole and I found a discussion of various graduate students and recent graduates and, sometimes, younger *professors* at a given school, offering to write papers for students via these services.

I honestly wonder what % of students hire these paper writing services?  And how these students perform in the workplace once they've graduated.  Come to think of it, a couple of the hires my company has made probably did this, because they have degrees from highly credible schools that you'd think would qualify them... and they seem to lack even the most basic knowledge in their field.

It's disheartening.

AI can be used to detect differences in writing styles. A human can also detect something is off, especially if written by a non-native speaker. Then a college can pull previous papers can compare them.

This might be true but you say it as if it's a cheap, easy process.  Universities don't have dozens of people just sitting around to proof every paper that is written, checking writing styles.  There is no data base of old papers just sitting there waiting for someone to comb through it to compare with current papers.  There are no customized AI programs available to every professor .  It's a fantasy.
[-] The following 2 users Like Alpha's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(08-26-2022, 07:44 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Dunning-Krueger. People who aren't good writers in English think that they can write well enough. But they can't.

I've come across plenty of people who, if they hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have known that they weren't native speakers. But they often apologize for their English being "so bad".

I see that all the time in the forums, people apologize for their English being bad I'm like your English is better than mine! Lol.

(08-26-2022, 08:04 AM)Alpha Wrote: This might be true but you say it as if it's a cheap, easy process.  Universities don't have dozens of people just sitting around to proof every paper that is written, checking writing styles.  There is no data base of old papers just sitting there waiting for someone to comb through it to compare with current papers.  There are no customized AI programs available to every professor .  It's a fantasy.

There are many nuances in the English language.

A professor can read a student's paper and notice something that seems off. Then compare it with other papers that the student has turned in.

Then I'm sure there are procedures in place for the professor to claim academic dishonesty.

https://www.asseltalaw.com/blog/2018/03/...r-answers/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,795 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Digital Nomad - Remote work in various countries bjcheung77 14 1,932 09-29-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: impasta
  Tired of WGU proctoring - non-proctored alternatives zadaea 14 16,379 09-08-2022, 04:08 PM
Last Post: AwardTour
  Saylor Proctoring $5 for all classes now! bjcheung77 18 3,161 03-16-2022, 06:33 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  IDEA has lost its two founders, who began in remote South Texas in 2000 bjcheung77 1 706 01-17-2022, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Johann
  ID question for proctoring Goldilocks! 2 876 01-08-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Goldilocks!
  Why is this a violation of academic integrity? Vle045 15 1,985 05-29-2021, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Remote Exam Proctoring Software/System bjcheung77 3 1,240 05-11-2021, 03:27 PM
Last Post: innen_oda
  Webcam for Proctoring BrighterFuture88 10 5,206 09-20-2019, 01:44 PM
Last Post: AwardTour
  Craziest Proctoring Scenario? a2jc4life 10 2,938 10-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Last Post: bluebooger