Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REA books for General Exams
REA has individual study guides for most of the CLEP tests.

They also have 1 study guide with review material for 5 of the CLEP General Exams:

English Composition
Humanities
College Mathematics
Natural Sciences
Social Sciences and History

It is called The Best REVIEW for the CLEP General Exams.

I’m sharing this because it took me awhile to figure out that they have a second book that has 17 full-length practice exams for these 5 CLEPs. (It seemed like a lot of people reviewing these at Amazon did not know this.)

English Composition – 4 (practice exams)
Humanities - 3
College Mathematics - 4
Natural Sciences - 3
Social Sciences and History - 3

It is called The Best Test PREPARATION for the CLEP General Exams.

Some things I don’t know:

Are REA study guides good resources for these exams in particular?

How do the stand-alone versions differ? Are they more updated? Do they have more info? One thing I did notice for some of these the stand-alone version has fewer full-length practice tests for the subject!

I spent more money and ordered directly from REA because I wanted to get the most recent version, which was printed in 2007. (2000 pages and 7 pounds of books) Amazon uses the same ISBN but lists them as 1998.

I hope this information is helpful to someone!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Great info on the study guides, I understand that REA is the best for the English Clep exam for preparation.
CCAF-AS Logistics Management
CCAF-AS Bio-Environmental Science
Cerro Coso Community College-AS Administration of Justice
Excelsior College-BS Criminal Justice-2008
TESC-BA Liberal Studies-2009
2 Different Bachelor Degrees completed in under 2 years!
I have found every REA Study Guide I used to be outstanding with the exception of Humanities. That book felt it was necessary to outline every event since the beginning of time in the most boring terms possible. Seriously. IC was much better.

Oh... and PreCalc just confused me, but that could be because it was mostly new information. Smile

Other than that, I purchased every REA book that matched a test I was taking and did excellent on all my exams. Some of the tests I used it for: US History I and II, Western Civ. I and II, Intro to Psychology, Educational Psych, Human Growth and Development, Intro to Sociology, Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Business Law (I think...), and Financial Accounting.

Regarding the two books mentioned: I bought and used the Test Prep book and used many of the tests. It was very helpful in gauging my ability before taking the test. I like to have a pretty good idea of whether or not I will pass before I go in to the actual test and REA is great for that.

In some cases (College Math, Natural Sciences) there is no stand alone version, so getting the General Exams books would definitely be helpful.

I ordered all of my books from Amazon. They were the latest edition and much less expensive.

I ordered one or two books with the CD, but didn't find it very helpful. It might be good if you are taking your first CLEP, but if you've done it before, the CD seems like a waste of money to me.

All in all... REA is amazing. The information tends to be very concise and specific and the practice exams are a great way to predict your actual test scores. I highly recommend them.
~Brittany

From 0 to 120 credits in ten months and seven days because of CollegePlus! and InstantCert!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!! Graduation, here I come!

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save." ~Zephaniah 3:17
I have the REA general book with the 17 exams, but not the other. The tests were very helpful. I thought they were just as difficult as the Peterson's test I took for Humanities.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
I really do like the REA series for CLEP. However, every once in a while, the REA book is confusing and not clear for me (for example, Precalculus... and Macroeconomics somewhat).

I did purchase The Best Test Prep for the General Exams w/ the 17 practice exams and The Best REVIEW for the CLEP General Exams. They were very helpful and I do recommend them; I did not buy the stand-alone versions for each exam.

One drawback is that the practice tests are sometimes not very accurate (if anything, REA is harder, not easier). One time I took a REA practice test for A&I Literature and got a 57; the next day, with barely any extra study, I took the real exam and got a 75.

But, overall, REA has been very helpful.
-Andrew T.
[SIZE="1"]
Finished: 120 credits! [BSBA Thomas Edison State College] See my degree plan here.
[/SIZE]
Now Available for Amazon Kindle: How to Test Out of Your First Year of College (And More)
Thank you all for your excellent input on this.

I wanted to add some information about the stand-alone versions of these study guides:

Humanities (2006) – 3 (practice exams)
College Mathematics (2008) – 2 (less than above)
Natural Sciences (June 2009) - 3 - I have seen the authors’ (David and Laurie) study materials recommended often for this exam.
Social Sciences and History (January 2010) - 3

I did not find one listed for English Composition at REA’s website.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking general thoughts and advise starsfan33 4 242 09-12-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  PMP practice quizzes or exams Kjnova 5 462 08-18-2024, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 343 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 456 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  Shout out to Dustin on the other Channel -Great Books Charles Fout 4 786 12-09-2023, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 539 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 7,022 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  General Thanks And Where I'm Headed Now TINASAM 3 553 10-22-2023, 01:29 PM
  Books that Shaped America Charles Fout 2 434 09-24-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  SUU Bachelor of General Studies (Speedway) EDUxplorer 10 2,945 04-18-2023, 12:43 AM