• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about several tests
As a history major, I have to take the following DSSTs:

Intro to the Modern Middle East
Western Europe since 1945
The Civil War and Reconstruction
A History of the Vietnam War
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union

I'm trying to map out which courses to do when, as I'm also still working on my core and some electives. For those of you who have taken any/all of these tests, can you advise me as to which would are the easiest and which are the hardest, so I know better how much time to plan for each one?

I'm not worried about the Civil War and Reconstruction--I'm a Civil War reenactor and do some work at a Civil War museum, so mostly I'll just have to do some brushing up. But I'm not really sure about the others.
studyhard Wrote:I'm not worried about the Civil War and Reconstruction--I'm a Civil War reenactor and do some work at a Civil War museum, so mostly I'll just have to do some brushing up.

I'm also a civil war reenactor. What group are you with & how long have you been doing it?
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy
We're sort of in between units right now. We had some problems with our old unit and are trying to decide whether to join a GA-based engineering unit or create our own. My father reenacts as an engineer (maps the battlefield, does surveys, etc.) and my mother and sister and I reenact as a sort of "ladies aid"--in other words, we bring goodies for folks to eat and wear fancy dresses (so that no one will ask us to cook over a campfire hilarious). We've been doing it for about 3 years and enjoyed it a lot.

How about you?
studyhard Wrote:We're sort of in between units right now. We had some problems with our old unit and are trying to decide whether to join a GA-based engineering unit or create our own. My father reenacts as an engineer (maps the battlefield, does surveys, etc.) and my mother and sister and I reenact as a sort of "ladies aid"--in other words, we bring goodies for folks to eat and wear fancy dresses (so that no one will ask us to cook over a campfire hilarious). We've been doing it for about 3 years and enjoyed it a lot.

How about you?

I'm part of the 165th NY Zouave unit. Our group is based out of Nebraska. I've been doing it for less than a year. I love playing soldier. My wife loves to dress up in her clothes & just hang out as a 'ladies aid', if you will. What a great way to learn period history as well. It truly is quite fascinating.
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy
My brother and I have reenacted with the 7th Arkansas Infantry "The Bloody Seventh" which actually helped start the Battle of Shiloh. When forced to go federal Rolleyes, the group becomes the scots-based 79th NY Highlanders and my drummer boy brother has even donned a kilt (a better man than I).

Great to see other reenactors on here!Smile Smile Smile

Deo Vindice!
Southron Boy

CLEP: English Comp w/ essay, English Comp w/o essay, American Gov't, U.S. History I, A & I Lit, Humanities, Intro Sociology, Intro to Psyc, Human Growth & Development, Intro to Ed Psyc, Prin of Management, Prin of Marketing, Business Law

DSST: Technical Writing
No re-enactment for me, but I appreciate what you guys do.

My great -great grandfather was at Shiloh... (South). & other battles...my prior interest from younger days made that one a joy to study.. went to Gettysburg (being close) prior & Antietam--made it feel more intimate... one of my favorite exams. They really want you to know your stuff---was happy about that---sounds like you do---cheers!

Soviet Union was a pain, I thought, after so much prep... 600 page book, web on end & IC... got an A, but tough. They asked things in an odd way, of course, that's what I always thought about DSST's.

My earlier history courses were regular college so no help for you there...

KNOW your Generals for Civil War...for instance, who predicted what was going to happen before Gettysburg...lets say day before?? Union.

& which Generals fought together in their respective fields of battle.
Oh whatever-- you already know that stuff.

It's much easier for us to know that than Soviet Union, but they ask the same things as far as who were working together. Many questions about that. There were always three or more guys colluding with one another. Don't just focus on Lenin and Stalin and Trotsky, e.g.

What a lengthy troubled history for those people..it was amazing to read the extent of their tragic experience.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 63 8,776 09-09-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: wow
  Question about admission hueyhoang 3 354 08-31-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 271 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,976 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 231 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  Question about LawShelf TINASAM 6 508 07-04-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 4,075 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,858 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 849 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 731 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore