Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pushing graduation date back...
Would you push your graduation date back by two months just to be able to walk across the stage? I was supposed to graduate this semester but due to last minute emergencies, I was not able to make the long trip to my school to participate in the commencement ceremony. I've been in school off and on for the past 8 years and finally completing my degree is a big accomplishment to me. For the past year I have really been working hard to finish this spring. On top of the 18 hours I was taking through my school, I completed 15 hours in DSST tests and a UExcel exam in less than a month. My school only holds one commencement ceremony in the Spring for all graduates. When I contacted my advisor, she informed me that I would not be eligible to participate in next year's ceremony. Although I've technically fulfilled all degree requirements, I'm seriously contemplating pushing back my graduation until July. I don't have any plans to attend grad school so it's not like I have the completion of a higher degree to look forward to. I just don't know what to do. I thought about writing the dean pleading my case but that's not a guarantee. Would I regret this for the rest of my life? Sad
Ultimately, you are the only person who can answer your question. Walking across the stage does not make you a college graduate. Finishing the courses and receiving your diploma make you a college graduate. If it were me, I would finish, get my diploma, and pose for some nice pictures to post on Facebook. I plan to forego my graduation ceremony just because I am too cheap to spring for airline tickets and hotel costs. I would rather spend that money on a nice weekend with my wife.
As Upton said it is your choice on how to proceed. If it is important to you than what's a month or two waiting for it. I will be attending my next graduation come rain or shine. I did not attend my others. So I understand how you feel. I believe EC will allow people that previously graduated to attend graduation later on when ever they can. Sort of nice that they would include prior graduates in that your commencement.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
I'd write the dean to see what he/she has to say. I'd send a letter with just as much passion as you've put into that post. I personally wouldn't push it back but it's up to you. They don't give you your diploma when you walk - you get that later. You'd be pushing back your graduation two months for a ceremony that will last about 3 hours and only 15 seconds of that will you be walking across a stage. Again, it is up to you but that's the way I look at it. I am in the same predicament. My graduation is in August, I'm not eligible this year in May. I won't be walking next year either. But, I will be taking myself on vacation. Smile

I have a cousin who "walked" but still hasn't graduated because she owes the school a few thousand dollars. Had she stayed at home she could have saved the money and had her degree. Now she's "walked" but doesn't have her degree.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 9 849 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 421 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 488 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  A Look Back at College Closures and Mergers in 2023 LevelUP 0 406 12-22-2023, 11:09 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  7 years later - College graduation... bjcheung77 0 425 05-20-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  9 Self Limiting Beliefs That Are Holding You Back from Success LevelUP 0 411 08-24-2022, 06:09 AM
Question Graduation Rate for DegreeForum Members? LevelUP 9 1,360 06-14-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 7 1,337 05-20-2022, 06:53 PM
  University Buys land, wait 5 years, sell it back for 2.5x profit... bjcheung77 0 616 05-16-2022, 03:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College Stories: Florida Students Share Their (Sometimes) Rocky Roads to Graduation LevelUP 0 544 04-23-2022, 10:48 AM