Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Production/Operations Management and Business Policy advice for Excelsior
The application exercises are actually the course assignments. You can see them in the downloadable syllabus available on Professor Billington's website:
MGMT 311 Corr
Excelsior BSB - MIS concentration (119 credits in the bank)
Any one selling their book for this course? Is the international version ok for use? I hate the cost of book and new these are 160.00.
Many have reported having no problem using the international version, some even preferred the lighter cover. Just make sure the CD's included in case you're buying used.
I used the international edition and a helpful forum member here uploaded the CD for me so you could go that route too
[SIZE="1"]
Excelsior Business Degree finished 6/5/08
Principles Of Management Clep: 72
Principles of Macro-Economics Clep: 58
Business Law Clep: 68
Organizational Behavior ECE: B
Principles Of Accounting Clep : 52
Human Resource Management ECE: C
Ethics ECE: A
Operations Management (Pueblo): A
MIS DSST: A
Info Systems & Computer App Clep: 63
Drug and Alcohol Abuse DSST: A
Principles Of Finance DSST: A
Business Policy TECEP: PASS
Wow, that's very nice, uploading 500 MB worth of data (or perhaps the videos were excluded?).
If you follow the instructions in week 17 at this website it will help a great deal.

Senior Level. Final stretch of upper-level credits

Incidentally this is the same site I stumbled upon years ago to start this journey. Study these subjects in the William J. Stevenson's Operation Management textbook.

Have the text book with the CD enclosed (The CD helped me understand). However it isn't important to know the excel spreadsheets for the exam, however I did learn some valuable excel information that I'm sure I will use later.

InstantCert helped me identify subjects I needed to know more about. I went back to the text on some topics that helped a great deal. Admittedly I didn't use this resource to it's fullest. I completed about 80% of it.

Hind site being 20/20, I would complete the InstantCert flashcards 100% and study the topics in week 17 Operations Mgt from 123collegedegree. Know the CPM expected time and learning curve formulas. The are no heavy statistics formulas on this exam, so don't bother with them in the book.

Yes, it was a hard exam. I got a 57 on it and passed. I had Shirley at Thomas Edison double check what the passing score was. It is 50.

While it is expensive and difficult, I know there are some of you out there who are allergic to classes (Taking Business Policy at Excelsior is taking all of my patience). This test is doable. I got registered 3 weeks before the test. Make sure you call them. (609)985-1181)(Ext 2251) They can drag their feet pushing you out to the next cycle. It took 2 weeks to get my results (I live in CO)

Let me know if you have any questions?

Eric

Going for my BS in Business from Excelsior

CLEP
Principles of Macroeconomics 63
Principles of Marketing 68
Principles of Management 66
Principles of Microeconomics 52
Social Sciences and History 506 (old scoring system, Army at the time)
College Mathematics 659 (old scoring system, Army at the time)
English Composition 431 (old scoring system, Army at the time)
Principles of Accounting 63
Freshman College Composition 55
Humanities 58
Information Systems and Computer Applications 66
Natural Sciences 600 (old scoring system, Army at the time)
Western Civilization I 60
Western Civilization II 58
Introductory Business Law 54

Dantes
Management Information Systems 62
Money and Banking 54
Ethics in America 65
Principles of Statistics 51
Principles of Finance 47 (pass is 46) Smile

ECE
Organizational Behavior C
Human Resource Management C
Information Literacy P
(Currently taking Business policy)

TECEP
Operations Management 57

Previous College Credits
Engineering Tech Math I (fulfills math requirement)(4 Credits) B
Physics (3 Credits) C
Electives (4 Credits) C
Can we sign up for the CSU classes online, or do you have to fill out the .pdf form and send it in?hilarious
Ronin Smile
[COLOR="Blue"]

What's left:

Excelsior Ethics exam

BSB Excelsior College Cool

[/COLOR]
Fill the PDF and fax it or enroll over the phone.
gus Wrote:Fill the PDF and fax it or enroll over the phone.

Thanks a lot!
Ronin Smile
[COLOR="Blue"]

What's left:

Excelsior Ethics exam

BSB Excelsior College Cool

[/COLOR]
I completed this course a couple of weeks ago and received 964 out of 1000 points which equates to an “A”. I lost all of my points on two questions on Exam 3, which I’ll cover in small detail below.

Thanks to the posts in this thread, I was able to complete this class within two months. Within those two months I probably spent about one month actually working on the class—but I stopped to study for other tests and other life interruptions, so two months worked out to be pretty comfortable for me. There is a lot of great information in this thread and it all should be read before attempting the course. I’m going to add some information in this post to help people get past a few hurdles where I spent a little extra time figuring things out. Hopefully, this will allow you to be even more efficient when completing this course. To be clear, my goal was to be as efficient as possible and finish the course quickly with a good grade. I did not have any specific interest in the material, though I didn’t dislike it, but I was not trying to learn as much as I was trying to finish.

First, let’s look at the textbook. I used the eighth edition with CD. The professor told me that I could use the 7th edition, which is MUCH cheaper, but gary came through with a cheap 8th edition for me. The professor indicated that it might be hard to match up page numbers with the syllabus if I used an earlier edition and that dissuaded me. Now that I’ve completed the course, I don’t believe that would have been a problem. The vast majority of information comes from the syllabus and the lecture notes and powerpoints on his website. You mostly need the book to find examples and acquire more thorough explanations and I would bet that would not be hard to do—particularly because I didn’t do a lot of recommended reading. Instead, I just used the index to get straight to what I needed.

Similarly, I don’t recall using anything off the CD except for the Excel OM plug-in—which I used A LOT. You can download a copy of that below:

Excel OM Software

To be clear, there is a lot of good info on the CD—including a program called POM Windows—however I didn’t use any of it. I frequently checked POM Windows when looking for software to complete a problem, but I don’t think I actually used it on any problem. I say “think” because there is a possibility that I used it somewhere along the way and don’t recall—but if I did it was only once or twice—and I don’t really think I did.

So—now you know that you can get a cheap early edition of the textbook and skip the CD if you can download the Excel OM program. You don’t need great Excel knowledge (as in programming formulas, etc.) to use it to complete this course—but you should be generally comfortable with it.

I filled out the PDF application for the course and submitted it entirely on line. I used some software I have at work to fill it out. It required a signature, but I just used a signature-looking font and it worked. You could also print it out, fill it out and scan it back to them—but I tried to do everything I possibly could electronically.

I would advise you to read through the syllabus you’ll receive (see earlier posts) along with all the information on Professor Billington’s website related to this course. You’ll see where you’ll likely need additional info and what that info is. Then, when you get stuck, you’ll recall having seen something about that and you can go back and look it up.

The course includes 18 required Application Exercises (“AE’s”) and four required exams. There are also unrequired, ungraded homework assignments. I didn’t complete any of the homework assignments.

Each group of AE’s is related to one of the exams. I submitted my work by grouping the AE’s into one document and then requesting an exam. In other words, I completed AE’s 1-6 and then requested Exam 1. I completed and returned Exam 1 and then completed AE’s 7-14 (that stretch is a killer) and then requested Exam 2. From there, I just completed AE’s 15-18 and was done with the AE’s. After the first exam, he would just automatically send me the related exams when he returned my email with my AE grades. I received full credit on all AE’s. I then completed Exams 3 & 4 in one marathon 5-hour middle of the night session. I submitted everything via email and he was VERY responsive throughout the course.

I've attached a document detailing my approach to the AE's and the exams--including the software I used for each problem. I'll attach some links to software and information below as well so you can download it when you're ready to get to work.

Overall, I was very happy I took this course and very grateful that auminer took the time to get a lot of this info down and start this thread. I would strongly urge anyone to consider this as opposed to the TECEP exam. This course does not require a lot of time and is very well run. You could easily be studying for a couple of CLEP or DSST exams while completing the assignments for this course and not short-change either. If you have any questions, please feel free to post here or send me a PM. Thanks.

Pareto Chart Template for Excel

Fishbone Chart Template for Excel

Info on creating flow charts in Excel

Excel OM Software

Attached Files
.doc   Less than 1 minute ago">OM feedback.doc (Size: 28.5 KB / Downloads: 162)
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 3,017 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 2,186 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,705 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,710 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 2,081 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,477 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 2,076 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 5,447 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 5,066 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,437 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun