Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question About Western WNMU's BA Rehabilitation Services & Bachelor of Social Work
A relative of mine is interested in earning one of Western New Mexico University's degrees. He is eyeing either the BA Rehabilitation Services http://wnmu.edu/VirtualCampus/programs/B...tion.shtml or the Bachelor of Social Work http://www.wnmu.edu/academic/sw/. He asked me for advice on whether a degree in Social Work is more marketable than one in Rehabilitation Services. Ordinarily, I would go for Rehabilitation Services because I think there are many open doors in this field compared to Social Work, but I've asked him to give me a couple of days to get some advice from my Degree Forum family.

Though the websites provide some answers to the following questions, we would appreciate additional information from those who have experience in these fields, who are taking the programs, or who know something about these degrees. Which of the two degrees is better in terms of employment for one who likes working with people? Can one with a degree in Social work work in Rehabilitation Service field and vice versa? When it comes to further studies, which provides easy access to graduate programs? Thanks for your help.
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Is he in the United States? The documents about field placements for the social work program appear to assume field placements under the supervision of U.S.-licensed social workers in the U.S. "Your practicum supervisor must have an MSW from an accredited institution, or two years of post-BSW experience, and must be in compliance with state licensure laws. Please provide a vita or resume for the proposed field supervisor." I can't immediately find similar requirements for the field experiences for the rehabilitation services program, but they might also exist.
I don't know how difficult it's going to be for a person outside of the U.S. to earn a social work degree from the U.S., but the social work degree definitely has more utility. The rehabilitative services program looks a lot like an occupational therapy or occupational therapy assistant program. These are licensed professions; that degree probably won't lead to an OTA license in any state. OTs need masters degrees. The BSW leads to a license in the U.S. While most social work jobs will require a masters degree, a social work degree, in general, is very flexible. You can work in counseling or as a caseworker for a social services agency. Social workers can do all of the jobs listed on WNMU's rehabilitative services page. I could only imagine the title "rehabilitative services" confusing people in HR. Most of the time, social service jobs will ask for degrees in psychology, sociology, behavioral science, social work, counseling, or human services. I've rarely seen rehabilitation or rehabilitative come up in the title of a desired degree. I've seen more social service jobs ask for criminal justice degrees. If the person wants to do more hands on stuff, then I recommend an occupational therapy assistant or physical therapy assistant program with the proper programmatic accreditation. Closely related areas would be special education and speech language pathology assistant.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Thanks everyone for the feedbacks. Based on Sanatone's response and upon further inquiries, he has agreed that he'll go for the Social Work degree. He wrote to WNMU to find out whether they'll accept an unrelated Bachelor's degree into their program and most importantly, whether he can take all the courses via a distance (including practicals and field classes) without having to travel to the US. We got the following response.

Quote:...Our classes are a combination of completely online (asychronous) and real-time online (synchronous) classes. For the synchronous classes, you would have to log into the class at the time it is occurring - these are frequently offered in the evenings USA Mountain Standard Time (generally between 5:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.) -for you, this may mean you're logging into class at 2:30 in the morning. These classes feel very similar to "Skype", and we have several students who attend class in this manner. In general, the majority of your courses would be regular online classes, but some -such as the practice and field classes- require this type of attendance.

I would strongly encourage you to consider our Master's in Social Work if you have completed a bachelor's degree. The program is a total of 66 credit hours, which is considerably less than would be required if you were to get the bachelor's in social work...

The only grey area is whether a Social Work degree, like a BSBA, can be used anywhere in the world. I have a feeling that earning degrees in professions that require licensure may only be useful in the country where such degrees are earned. I am not sure about this. Is this the case with a Social Work degree? Can it be used in Europe even when earned in the US?
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
You would have to research whether European countries generally accept CSWE-accredited degrees or offer an easy path to licensure if one is already licensed in the U.S. Often, states in the U.S. are accepting of an equivalent accreditor in Canada, so the same is probably true the other way around. But, these two countries share a border and have similar cultures. At worst, your friend would qualify for non-licensed, social service positions.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 63 8,613 09-09-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: wow
  Question about admission hueyhoang 3 334 08-31-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 246 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,920 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Save on tuition with Western Undergraduate Exchange wow 0 141 08-16-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: wow
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 218 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  A new program in Colorado recognizes students who didn’t complete their bachelor’s de davewill 4 705 07-06-2024, 11:22 PM
  Question about LawShelf TINASAM 6 477 07-04-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 1,003 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
  HIS-1010 / Western Civ. 1 at TESU picochily 8 553 05-05-2024, 04:46 PM