Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Med Help in Testing Out
Does anyone have any experience, or know anyone with experience in getting into med school with a fast track bachelor’s degree?
 I’m about to embark on my fast track bachelors using the testing out method but I want to make absolutely sure that it won’t hinder my med school application. 

Thank you
[-] The following 1 user Likes Emily-NYC's post:
  • adrianeraldo
AFAIK, med school is going to want a GPA. And certain prerequisite courses cannot be an exam, they must be graded courses from an actual college or university. I would suggest contacting the school(s) you want to apply to and find out what they're looking for.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I'd be wary of having any of the pre-med courses be test outs or pass/fail.

I'd say get the list of prerequisites for any med school you want to apply to. This list is essentially the definitition of "pre-med", there being no actual degree with that name. Take those pre-med courses in person at either a communitiy college or 4 year school (you almost certainly can't take them all at a CC). Get good grades. Then you can finish up getting a degree (almost any degree, really) using the methods here, if you like.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I would probably not do TESU or Excelsior, and instead do a school where you can get your pre-req courses for a decent price. Like an SNHU or something like that (not that per se, just somewhere where they'll take 90cr of transfer and require 30cr of residency, and those 30cr will all be graded).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Any updates please?
TIA
(01-09-2023, 07:51 PM)Emily-NYC Wrote: Does anyone have any experience, or know anyone with experience in getting into med school with a fast track bachelor’s degree?
 I’m about to embark on my fast track bachelors using the testing out method but I want to make absolutely sure that it won’t hinder my med school application. 

Thank you

you can take a lot of premed courses online with a gpa at massachusetts college of pharmacy and health sciences
Prerequisite Courses | MCPHS
they are self paced you could technically try to get into med school after doing all pre med reqs afaik but i would just recommend transferring them and getting a BLS or BABA from UMPI or if possible a BS Health Sciences from Excelsior and then take the MCAT and apply
adrianeraldo Wrote:Any updates please?
TIA

@adrianeraldo, Please review this post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid395061
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-17-2023, 08:51 PM)IReallyNeedADegree Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 07:51 PM)Emily-NYC Wrote: Does anyone have any experience, or know anyone with experience in getting into med school with a fast track bachelor’s degree?

Thank you

you can take a lot of premed courses online with a gpa at massachusetts college of pharmacy and health sciences
Prerequisite Courses | MCPHS
they are self paced you could technically try to get into med school after doing all pre med reqs afaik but i would just recommend transferring them and getting a BLS or BABA from UMPI or if possible a BS Health Sciences from Excelsior and then take the MCAT and apply

Yikes - $480/cr is a bit pricy.  There are actually cheaper options here for these courses:
Portage Learning (self-paced, $223/cr)
Logan University ($325/cr)
Doane University Online ($390/cr)

But, I would certainly do the research before opting for any of these.  If you want to get into med school, you want to make sure that they will accept online lab sciences.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
MCPHS gives you 50% off the first course. If you somehow only needed 2 or 3 courses, the average would work out to be not that much more than Doane. I wouldn't go with them for more than that, however.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-20-2023, 03:47 AM)rachel83az Wrote: MCPHS gives you 50% off the first course. If you somehow only needed 2 or 3 courses, the average would work out to be not that much more than Doane. I wouldn't go with them for more than that, however.

But more than our highest-cost option?  I'd just go with Portage.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST testing advice (for beginner) audpants 2 192 08-26-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Business degree through testing? Lailalopez81 12 2,049 02-25-2021, 08:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DSST & Uexcel Advice -- Limited Exams & Testing Availability vanglorious 2 918 09-25-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  Excelsior liberal arts degree plan using Clep or other testing methods rsims123 5 1,669 05-29-2020, 05:05 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  Help, Please. Testing Out and Information Overload degreeguy 22 3,521 04-15-2019, 11:47 PM
Last Post: natshar
  New, Help with plan for testing out of B.S. at COSC. Is it possible?? Summer.Rankin 6 1,634 10-17-2018, 11:10 PM
Last Post: Summer.Rankin