Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Help Choosing a New Degree Program
Star 
I thought I wanted to get a BS in Business Administration/concentration in Marketing. I started a couple classes on Sophia.org (macro/microeconomics) and realized this is truly not an area that interests me and therefore its going to be a slower and more intense process to slog through these classes. Just thinking about weeks of statistics and accounting to come is making me ill. I think the actual marketing courses would interest me since it works hand in hand with my current job but everything else is not for me. 
Confused  

I (47F) have 20+ years of experience as a graphic designer/art director and I need a bachelors degree if I want to stay/advance in corporate. I would like the BA to add something useful and interesting to what I already know about art/managing a design team. Maybe something that would open up other related managerial roles. But the reality is I need to do this ASAP, while working full time, volunteering and taking care of family responsibilities. I can dedicate about 15+ hrs a week to study. Budget is slightly less of a concern than time to complete and finding the right degree for me.

Is there a degree path that you would recommend that 
  1. would be a value added to my current experience,
  2. be faster/easier to complete based on my experience and transfer credits below
  3. be more appealing to a "right-brained" thinker? 

I can transfer AP credit for English (scored a 5).
Below are my classes from my AAS in Advertising Design:
  • ENG102 ENGLISH COMP II 3.00 TRANSFER AP CREDIT
  • ENG209 ADVANCED COMPOSITION 3.00 TRANSFER AP CREDIT 
  • VIS111 BASIC DRAWING 3.00 
  • VIS123 HISTORY OF MODERN ART 3.00 
  • VIS114 THREE-DIMENSIONAL DESIGN 3.00 
  • VIS113 TWO-DIMENSIONAL DESIGN 3.00 
  • 'VIS118 PROD PROC ADV DESIGN 2.00 
  • VIS125 COMPUTER ART (2D) 3.00 
  • VIS112 LIFE DRAWING 3.00 
  • VIS110 TYPOGRAPHY I 3.00 
  • DPR107 COMPUTER CONCEPTS 3.00 
  • VIS160 ADVERTISING DESIGN I 3.00 
  • VIS261 ADVERTISING DESIGN II 3.00 
  • VIS171 INTRODUCTION TO PHOTOGRAPHY 3.00 
  • VIS210 TYPOGRAPHY: DESKTOP PUBLISHING 3.00 
  • MAT107 CONCEPTS OF MATHEMATICS 3.00 
  • VIS121 HISTORY OF ART I 3.00 
  • VIS264 ADVERTISING DESIGN III: PORTFOLIO 3.00 
  • SSC201 THE HOLOCAUST 3.00 
  • SOC101 INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY 3.00 
  • HPE110 CONCEPTS OF HEALTH AND FITNESS 2.00 
  • VIS280 ILLUSTRATION I 3.00 
GPA 3.862
Credits 64.00

Thanks in advance. This is all a bit overwhelming and I don't have a mentor to go to for help so I appreciate your input.
If you can't deal with the thought of more business classes, what about BLS in Management or Project Management? from UMPI I don't think you could add a minor in Marketing, but I think you could take Marketing classes for your electives. For BLS degrees, you have to do a certain number of UL credits outside of your minor and Marketing classes could be a good choice.

Check out https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI for degree plans to maximize transfer and not have to spend a bunch of time on classes that bore you.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Since you already have an AAS you could look at UMPI for a BAS with a Marketing minor (or management, project management, etc). - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ers-vs-BLS
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Considering you are going to UMPI, I would finish out your GEC while you are debating which degree plan to choose from.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(06-03-2022, 03:29 PM)allvia Wrote: Since you already have an AAS you could look at UMPI for a BAS with a Marketing minor (or management, project management, etc). - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ers-vs-BLS

I read the thread you linked to and it looks like ss20ts Wrote: "Technically the BAS is an on campus degree. It's not available in YourPace technically." 

NoStudentNoCry Wrote: One can't directly apply for BAS via YourPace. It is kind of loophole thing. So you apply for BLS and than BLS-to-BAS switch has to be approved by your academic adviser. It is not an automatic process.

So if I wanted to have them do a transfer evaluation based on getting a BAS with Marketing minor would they do that? Or do I have to ask for a BLS with Marketing minor and then once I'm enrolled ask to switch? 

I'm still a bit fuzzy on the perk of a BAS over a BLS - the Gen Eds are the same and you still have to take 30 credits directly though UMPI either way. Is it just there are less UL credits for a BAS? Sorry if I'm being dense but does that mean the benefit is the same amount of classes but less of the difficult ones?

(06-03-2022, 03:40 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Considering you are going to UMPI, I would finish out your GEC while you are debating which degree plan to choose from.

I was wondering why people were only talking about UMPI. I have not decided to go to UMPI. I don't know where that came from. I was actually thinking about TESU or SNHU more so. I am open to going anywhere - I'm mostly interested in finding the right degree plan. 

And I agree about knocking out the GEC but the GECs change depending on the major in many colleges. A communications major at SNHU doesn't need macroeconomics and microeconomics (a business major does), which is what I already started with at Sophia. I need to have an idea of the degree program so I can do the right GECs.
(06-03-2022, 04:19 PM)javabeanstudio Wrote:
(06-03-2022, 03:40 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Considering you are going to UMPI, I would finish out your GEC while you are debating which degree plan to choose from.

I was wondering why people were only talking about UMPI. I have not decided to go to UMPI. I don't know where that came from. I was actually thinking about TESU or SNHU more so. I am open to going anywhere - I'm mostly interested in finding the right degree plan. 

I think most people are recommending UMPI because your first post stated 'But the reality is I need to do this ASAP' and it is UMPI would be the quickest route to completion (and the lowest cost).  If when you said 'I need to do this ASAP' you meant get started - but would rather take courses completely on your own schedule, go at your own pace and less UL credits then maybe TESU would be a better match (even thought it costs more, and would take longer). I am a TESU alumnus myself, so I'm a fan of their programs as an option (and I like that they're a state school, even if not 'my state').

As far as the BLS vs BAS, many people prefer the degree to read 'Bachelor of Applied Science' vs 'Bachelor of Liberal Studies'. It is a personal preference issue, but not all have the option - as it requires a AAS to be eligible (which you have).
Amberton University

(06-03-2022, 07:20 PM)allvia Wrote:

I think most people are recommending UMPI because your first post stated 'But the reality is I need to do this ASAP' and it is UMPI would be the quickest route to completion (and the lowest cost).  If when you said 'I need to do this ASAP' you meant get started - but would rather take courses completely on your own schedule, go at your own pace and less UL credits then maybe TESU would be a better match (even thought it costs more, and would take longer). I am a TESU alumnus myself, so I'm a fan of their programs as an option (and I like that they're a state school, even if not 'my state').

As far as the BLS vs BAS, many people prefer the degree to read 'Bachelor of Applied Science' vs 'Bachelor of Liberal Studies'. It is a personal preference issue, but not all have the option - as it requires a AAS to be eligible (which you have).

Ah I see where you're coming from with the UMPI now. I just emailed my UMPI advisor to see if she could give me more info on a BAS with a Marketing minor. And do a transfer evaluation for me.

I also reached out to my advisor at TESU. I like that they are a state school and since I'm based in NJ they are well known here and well respected. They have a communication program that might be a possibility as it could relate loosely to my job. I don't think I'll be able to take as many credits through Sophia/SDC/etc. as I would for a BABS though -- so it might take way longer and be way more expensive to move to communications. 

SNHU has a communications/new media BA that looks quite interesting to me. Unfortunately, I believe I would have to take at least 16 classes from SNHU directly which will take a while. I was hoping to there might be a few more classes I could cover through Sophia/SDC/etc.
Here are the options you're discussing (or we are recommending):

UMPI BLS w/Management - this will be the easiest/fastest/cheapest option.  I'm guessing that since Marketing is a concentration for the BABA, and they have all of the courses available, that you could add this as a second minor after Management (although I'm not sure it will matter at that point).

You'd need American Govt, Ethics, Bio w/Lab, Environmental Science or Astronomy, Spanish, 1 elective, and then there are 6 courses in the minor that you would do at UMPI; then 4 additional electives, of which you could choose Marketing courses if you wanted.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESU BA in Communications - you would have to take several courses at TESU, making it a more expensive degree (although you could do a single 16cr term and do the Cornerstone, Capstone, Mass Comm I, Mass Comm II, and Comm Theory plus a 1cr course all at the same time).  This seems needlessly complicated since you don't actually NEED a Communication degree.

TESU BALS - this will be good, and there are lots of Communications courses you can take to fill the AoS.

In-state tuition is $5586 for 6cr + the residency waiver; or $3579 for a single 16cr term.

You'll need Oral Comm, ethics, civic engagement, a science, 5 UL liberal arts courses, 9 LL liberal arts courses, and 9 free electives.  Unfortunately, I can't tell how TESU will bring in all of your VIS courses - if they come in as Humanities (Arts), and are 200-level or above, then your LL AoS is filled; if not, then they'll be free electives, and you'll lose some.

So, your best bet with TESU is to send in your transcript and see what they do with your credits before you make a decision.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For SNHU, I think the entire GE area can be done via alt-credit, and then some classes in the major I think you could find:
Intro to Comm
Public Speaking & Presentation Skills
Visual Communication & Design (you may already have this)

12cr of electives that you can find:
Public Relations (TECEP)
Tech Writing
Business Comm
Digital Photography (you have this)
Prin of Management
Social Media Marketing Strategy

So really, you are just going to be taking the 10 courses required for the residency, but I think it will take a year before you can get in, get going, and get graduated.  $9600 for 30cr
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-03-2022, 08:15 PM)javabeanstudio Wrote: Ah I see where you're coming from with the UMPI now. I just emailed my UMPI advisor to see if she could give me more info on a BAS with a Marketing minor. And do a transfer evaluation for me.

There is a specific contact (advisor) email for going through the YourPace program at UMPI - the wiki is showing it as umpi-yourpace@maine.edu - The information on turning your UMPI YourPace BLS admission into a BAS is in that thread link I shared earlier.
Amberton University

(06-03-2022, 03:29 PM)allvia Wrote: Since you already have an AAS you could look at UMPI for a BAS with a Marketing minor (or management, project management, etc). - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ers-vs-BLS

I read the thread you linked to and it looks like ss20ts Wrote: "Technically the BAS is an on campus degree. It's not available in YourPace technically." 

NoStudentNoCry Wrote: One can't directly apply for BAS via YourPace. It is kind of loophole thing. So you apply for BLS and than BLS-to-BAS switch has to be approved by your academic adviser. It is not an automatic process.

So if I wanted to have them do a transfer evaluation based on getting a BAS with Marketing minor would they do that? Or do I have to ask for a BLS with Marketing minor and then once I'm enrolled ask to switch? 

I'm still a bit fuzzy on the perk of a BAS over a BLS - the Gen Eds are the same and you still have to take 30 credits directly though UMPI either way. Is it just there are less UL credits for a BAS? Sorry if I'm being dense but does that mean the benefit is the same amount of classes but less of the difficult ones?

And I agree about knocking out the GEC but the GECs change depending on the major in many colleges. A communications major at SNHU doesn't need macroeconomics and microeconomics (a business major does), which is what I already started with at Sophia. I need to have an idea of the degree program so I can do the right GECs.

UMPI doesn't have a Marketing Minor. There's only the Concentration in the BA Bus Admin program. This link shows all of the minors offered at UMPI. Most are only available to on campus students. 

http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?catoid=4&navoid=155

The BAS and BLS are very similar. Some on here think the BAS sounds better than the BLS. The biggest differences are that the BAS requires fewer UL credits but it also requires 40 technical credits. The BAS requires 18 UL credits beyond the minor and the BLS requires 30 UL credits beyond the minor. The BLS does not have any technical credits. 

The GEC is the same for every single degree at UMPI. The GEC is the General Education Curriculum at UMPI. Most schools call this their gen ed. UMPI also has general electives. No matter what degree one goes for at UMPI they have to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. 

Side note....just because you're not enjoying econ on Sophia doesn't mean you won't enjoy other business courses. I didn't like econ but I love management and leadership classes. I'll be happy to never take another accounting course in my lifetime. I've taken 4 or 5 and that's plenty for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 4 84 5 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 595 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,167 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,905 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 209 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,159 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,305 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Need an accelerated program to self support myself ClarityandSparkly 5 339 04-10-2024, 04:31 PM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 171 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 931 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM